Beckham | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Beckham

Man I can't believe all the Beckham hype. They are making it sound like the greatest soccer player in the history of the world is coming to play for the LA Galaxy. Zzzzzzz. ESPN has the game and he may not even play tonight. The announcers are worried sick.

I remember the same hype when Pele, Beckenbauer and Chinaglia player in front of 77,000 fans for the Cosmos. Why do they think soccer is going to be any bigger this time? I like soccer, but I don't think it will ever be a top four sport here.

It's ESPN and they are doing it to promote MLS- it won't work but they are trying just like they now show us Arena league highlights b/c thye have the Arena league package.

Pele couldn't keep interest in the sport, the '94 WC couldn't keep interest in the sport- what makes anyone think Beckham will have a lasting impact?

I could see it being a top 4 sport in the US for sure. I never see it beating out basketball, football or baseball, but what's next..hockey? hehe (oh boy, here come the puck-heads), i wouldn't count athletics, what, lacrosse? professional eating?

Nascar is up there and for some reason that's considered a sport. I hate Nascar with a strong passion, everytime I see a race or that dumb Nascar Now show on ESPN, I change it as quickly as possible.

I watched a bit of it yesterday, and got so bored. All they kept doing was showing camera shots of Beckham's shoes, and other gear.

I was like, what ever, I don't care about his smelly *** shoes. Let's see him play.

His good looks and who he married. His ability to cross the ball is top rate, but much of the rest of his game isn't.

By the way, in soccer after games, they usually exchange jerseys.. Well, once one opposing player remarked that when he traded jerseys with Beckham, Beckham's smelled of perfume :sidelol:

He is also popular for being the face of ManU and England.

Beckham, love him or hate him or whatever is the most famous athlete on the Planet.

You said it.

Whoever said that there are other players more famous around than Beckham are 100% wrong.

Yes, most of us know that Beckham is just an above average soccer player and he can't even play to the level of some other above average players such as Joe Cole, Mauro Camoranesi, Giggs, Robben, Deco, etc... To compare his skills to Kaka, Dinho, Messi, Totti, is just ridiculous.

However, he is BY FAR the most recognizable soccer player in the world at the current moment and for the past 8 years.

You can go to Asia and ask any girl the ages 15-40 who David Beckham is and they will know. Do the same in Canada, and the USA. Go to the same Girls and ask them who Ronaldinho is, and you'll be surprised that less than half (maybe more) will have a clue.

And to conclude....It seems to be the cool thing to say "he's a 2nd rate player...he's not even good...etc." But let's face facts:

1999: Manchester United won the Treble (CL, Premeirship, FA cup). Name me another current player who has done this....It's difficult because only ManU did so for the past 4 decades. He was one of the best players on ManU that year, and he was the one who took them past Juve in the Semis. (I believe that in the past 20 years, nobody other than Milan and 1999 ManU have won a treble amongst the big 3 leagues)

2007: Real Madrid - La Liga Champions. He was arguably one of Madrid's better players in the 2nd half of the season, helping them come from behind and win the league, surpassing the Almighty Barcelona.

I'm the farthest thing from a Beckham fan, but to deny that he is the most recognizable and popular player in the world is insane and to call him a 2nd rate soccer player is preposterous. He can still play at almost any club in the world

Beckham is not the most famous athlete on the planet, he's only known here b/c his Wife was w/ a fad group in the late 90s. Michael Jordan hasn't played in years and he's still more famous than Beckham. Soccer will never sustain success here, e have more exciting and interesting sports to follow. There will be times it gets big for short stretches but it will never sustain success.

There is a big difference in postign about a movie you dont like, and a movie you havent seen or dont intend to see, and insulting it...

Are you forgetting what you said in the thread I quoted?
That doesnt smell of someone who is "curious" or just loking to partake in a discussion. It comes off as insulting and seems like you just want to elicit a reaction...

Whatever though, to each his own.

Seems we'll only agree on Dolphin related stuff which is fine. No big deal

Bet you just as many people watched this soccer game as Game 4 of the NBA finals this year :sidelol:

Is this supposed to be an insult to me? If it is, I'll take the championship clinching game over any bull**** smack you have for me.

:)

The signing of Beckham has done exactly what the MLS wanted you guys to do , start talking about football (proper football as I refuse to call it soccer).

It has got guys who would never dreamed of discussing the game to actually have an opinion on it whether that is "**** that im not gonna go see that" to " maybe I will give it a try". They have accomplished getting the game talked out in more "mainstream" media instead of specialty football only shows (still not gonna call it soccer :p). Hell you are even getting the MLS shown on UK TV now , perfect for me as I watch it as im getting ready to go to work :D

LA have sold over 250k shirts with Beckhams name on it - ffs thats a ****in HUGE sale in anyones books , only being outsold by maybe 10-15 clubs worldwide.

I think he is vastly over-rated by a load of people but he is still a very good player and he conducts himself correctly off the field. You wont get stories of him shooting someone or throwing money at strippers in the papers. He always comes over as a family man in interviews , that is the image the MLS wants to project.

It will never break the big 3 of NFL , NBA and MLB but it will in time beat of the NHL as America's number 4 sport and that tbh will still be a great achievement.

As someone else said this will be the first of many big name signings to go to the MLS , it wont be guys whose career is ending but guys in their late 20s/early 30s just about at their prime.

You guys are quite rightly skeptical about it as the game you have seen up till now is a poor imitation of the game played by the top teams (try watching Scottish 3rd division football - that is pish :D). Give it a go , at least once you have watched a few matches and still think its crap thats fine but to dismiss it out of hand before even watching it is crazy IMO. Bit like trying to convince guys over here to watch the NFL , most get into it after 3 or 4 games

I watched an MLS game for the first time ever and plan on watching more. Not sure why but I'm excited by Beckham.

That is exactly why he is here. More fans! He wants Soccer to grow and to expand here in the U.S. That is his goal. Get little kids to get more excited about Footie. He probably will. The good looks, ability, media craze...what little boy wouldn't look up to that and say Hey, I wanna do that when I grow up!! :yes:

I dont get this mindset. if you dont care about Beckham or soccer why would you post in this thread? I dont like hockey, so I avoid going into the hockey threads and posting about how I dont like it...

He is just spamming. Let em hate! :cooldude:

So there aren't any other soccer players in the world who look alright and have a hot wife?

It is more than that. Beckham has been an ICON in the World. Football (Soccer) is the biggest sport everywhere but here in the U.S. At one point in time he was considered one of the best players. Think about it, one of the BEST players in a sport the whole world is watching, and he has the good looks and the wife to help boost his image.

Beckham is not the most famous athlete on the planet, he's only known here b/c his Wife was w/ a fad group in the late 90s. Michael Jordan hasn't played in years and he's still more famous than Beckham. Soccer will never sustain success here, e have more exciting and interesting sports to follow. There will be times it gets big for short stretches but it will never sustain success.

:sidelol:

Are you seriouss?? Michael Jordan more famous then Becks?? Michael Jordan is famous here. You ask people around the World who MJ is and most people will not know, especially the new generation around the World.

Becks is bigger then ANY other sports player out there.

:sidelol:

Are you seriouss?? Michael Jordan more famous then Becks?? Michael Jordan is famous here. You ask people around the World who MJ is and most people will not know, especially the new generation around the World.

Becks is bigger then ANY other sports player out there.

PT, I think MJ is more well-known.

The most famous sports persons of the last century were Muhammed Ali, Pele and Michael Jordan, at least according to many polls. MJ is really well-known world-wide. Whether Beckham is as well known is hard to say.

Just as an example, in Japan (mostly a baseball country), MJ is known to most every person, but Beckham mostly known to the youth or to soccer fans.

Back
Top Bottom