Beckham | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Beckham

It's ESPN and they are doing it to promote MLS- it won't work but they are trying just like they now show us Arena league highlights b/c thye have the Arena league package.

Pele couldn't keep interest in the sport, the '94 WC couldn't keep interest in the sport- what makes anyone think Beckham will have a lasting impact?
People stay interested in the Jets for some God forsaken reason, so anything is possible.

PT, I think MJ is more well-known.

The most famous sports persons of the last century were Muhammed Ali, Pele and Michael Jordan, at least according to many polls. MJ is really well-known world-wide. Whether Beckham is as well known is hard to say.

Just as an example, in Japan (mostly a baseball country), MJ is known to most every person, but Beckham mostly known to the youth or to soccer fans.

Do you think people in Ecuador, Chile, Bolivia, know who MJ is???

What about people in Cameroon? I doubt many do.

Ronaldinho, Kaka, Ronaldo, totti, Messi, Henri are all players who are probably just as if not more famous than Beckham. best teams. It has already paid for Beckham's contract through ticket sales and merchandize and TV rights for the games.

Agreed.

My top known guys would be (in just random order):

Ronaldinho
Ronaldo
Henry
Shevchenko
Ibrahimovic
Figo
C. Ronaldo
Ballack
van Nistelrooy
Totti

Honorable Mentions:

Crespo
Rooney
Cannavaro
Drogba

Agreed.

Ronaldinho
Ronaldo
Henry
Shevchenko
Ibrahimovic
Figo
C. Ronaldo
Ballack
van Nistelrooy
Totti

Honorable Mentions:

Crespo
Rooney
Cannavaro
Drogba

Yes the players are famous, but none of them are on Beckham's level fame wise. Beckham is on another planet when it comes to that.

Do you think people in Ecuador, Chile, Bolivia, know who MJ is???

What about people in Cameroon? I doubt many do.

There are very few people in those countries (Ecuador, Chile, Bolivia). Keep in mind Basketball is the world's second most popular team sport after soccer, and Beckham isn't really a household name in many soccer-playing nations either.

So, yeah I still think MJ is within like the top 10 of most recognizable atheletes (by name). Ali and Pele are probably still tops though.

Agreed.

Ronaldinho
Ronaldo
Henry
Shevchenko
Ibrahimovic
Figo
C. Ronaldo
Ballack
van Nistelrooy
Totti

Honorable Mentions:

Crespo
Rooney
Cannavaro
Drogba

Are you saying all these people are as famous as Beckham? I've heard of Ronaldo (didnt know there was multiple?) and Ronaldinho but I couldnt pick either one out of lineup. These people maybe more famous to soccer fans, but non are as famous as Beckham. Like I said people who have never even seen a soccer ball have heard of Beckham.

There are very few people in those countries (Ecuador, Chile, Bolivia). Keep in mind Basketball is the world's second most popular team sport after soccer, and Beckham isn't really a household name in many soccer-playing nations either.

So, yeah I still think MJ is within like the top 10 of most recognizable atheletes (by name). Ali and Pele are probably still tops though.

Beckham doesn't have to be mentioned in top athletes, but people know who he is.

Are you saying all these people are as famous as Beckham? I've heard of Ronaldo (didnt know there was multiple?) and Ronaldinho but I couldnt pick either one out of lineup. These people maybe more famous to soccer fans, but non are as famous as Beckham. Like I said people who have never even seen a soccer ball have heard of Beckham.

Yep. The other Ronaldo is Cristiano Ronaldo and he is Portuguese. DonShula, what you really need to get up to date with is our National Team. That is where it's at. :)

On an overall world stand point, yes I am. Not in America would most people know these guys as popular as Beckham, but every where else, I think they would. Hell, there all better players too. Even soccer fans in America would know them just as much, especially Ronaldinho, the only ones who wouldnt are non soccer fans in the US. Theres alot more people in the world than non soccer fans in the US.

PT, I think MJ is more well-known.

The most famous sports persons of the last century were Muhammed Ali, Pele and Michael Jordan, at least according to many polls. MJ is really well-known world-wide. Whether Beckham is as well known is hard to say.

Just as an example, in Japan (mostly a baseball country), MJ is known to most every person, but Beckham mostly known to the youth or to soccer fans.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. David Beckham is much more popular world-wide than Jordan.

And I guarantee that more people in Japan know David Beckham than Michael Jordan. See my post on the 4th page. Everyone and I mean everyone in Asia knows Beckham. Not everyone knows Jordan. Because soccer is a major sport in Asia. Basketball is not.

Bottom Line: Beckham is the most recognizable athlete in the world...period...there is no one close.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. David Beckham is much more popular world-wide than Jordan.

And I guarantee that more people in Japan know David Beckham than Michael Jordan. See my post on the 4th page. Everyone and I mean everyone in Asia knows Beckham. Not everyone knows Jordan. Because soccer is a major sport in Asia. Basketball is not.

Bottom Line: Beckham is the most recognizable athlete in the world...period...there is no one close.

You can guarantee me that more people in Japan know Beckham than Michael Jordan? Well, if you're going to make that strong a statement, prove this to us with stats.

I'm half Japanese and I can tell you that when one of my cousins (avid soccer fan) relayed to me they wanted a Beckham jersey for his birthday through his parents, neither they nor my mom (who relayed their message) had heard of Beckham.

But, they all know of MJ, at least by name.

Anyway, the onus is on you to provide evidence for your "guarantee".

And there are many that would say Muhammed Ali (and maybe after him Pele) are the most recognizable sports figures on the planet. I mean Ali was actually called "the most recognizable human being on Earth" by the media during his heyday. Anything at all similar for Beckham?

Here's what a recent article says about Ali:
http://www.nbcsports.com/sports/854534/detail.html?dest=rss|alanabrahamson

"Ali left the ring in the early 1980s. He was then, and is still now, among the most recognizable individuals in the world"
---------------------

Of course, since you claim Beckham is the most recognizable and no one else is close, please at least provide some evidence for that (neither this post of yours nor the one on page 4 you asked me to looked at provided any evidence).

By the way, I'd agree Beckham is one of the most recognizable soccer players on the planet right now, but to say no one else is close is way off.

On an overall world stand point, yes I am. Not in America would most people know these guys as popular as Beckham, but every where else, I think they would. Hell, there all better players too. Even soccer fans in America would know them just as much, especially Ronaldinho, the only ones who wouldnt are non soccer fans in the US. Theres alot more people in the world than non soccer fans in the US.

Yes. But all the soccer fans in the world know who Beckham is along w/ the people on your list. So that's a wash. Then add in all the non soccer fans who have no clue who the people on your list are, but know who Beckham is and he is now more famous. What pushes Beckham over the edge is getting those people who know nothing about soccer or even hate soccer.

FACT! I remember seeing a vid of how he went to China or Japan and they built a STATUE identical to him. Unbelievable. How do you get another country to build a statue of you when you haven't done much for them? By looking like Becks and have his reputation that's how! Becks is much more known.

Beckham is popular more like because of his looks(im very macho mind u:D) than because of his skills as a footballer.Ronaldinho doesnt have the looks but hes the king of football.The MLS needs a player like Ronaldo,hed make people in north america like this sport more n more because hes more fun to watch than beckham.He can take on people and kill you with his speed(still has some gas in the tank) unlike beckham who just can cross in.

Beckham is not and never will be a great player. He peaked while at Man United, thats why Ferguson let him go Also because he knew about a fella by the name of Ronaldo.

Beckham is famous because of the off the field stuff. The "Beckham Brand" as it is known generates millions for him and the club he is at. He's famous for being David Beckham. People like Ronaldinho and Henry are famous because they are world class footballers.

Back
Top Bottom