Being in Chicago, lovin Bears getting Fields | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Being in Chicago, lovin Bears getting Fields

Frustrated we could have had 2 extra 1st picks in 2022 and still got Waddle at 12. I think? But wtf do I know. Positive attitude for 2021 still.
I really dont think Waddle is there at 12. Smith went at 10 and Waddle was ahead of Smith in every mock over the last week. Waddle has more upside than Any WR taken.

Guys do not make it personal

Attack the post and not the poster

I think the kid doesn't have it between the ears. But in CHI you need someone with a great arm and he has that. Plus he has size/athleticsim and some skill so there'll be no excuses for that fraud Nagy if they fail. Good for them jumping up to take him. If you don't have a franchise QB (like them and us) you take QB until you do. We'll regret not staying at #3 and taking Lance for the next 10-15 years. Grier is clueless.
Why don't you think Fields has it 'between the ears?' Does Lawrence have it 'between the ears?' Fields bested Lawrence on multiple occasions and I think Fields has 2x the heart Lawrence has.

I just wonder who the Bears will be drafting at QB in 3 years. I am not rooting against Fields because I only root against players when they play the Dolphins. I just donā€™t see him becoming a good NFL QB, even though I though he was a very good college QB.

I know the Bears fans have been suffering because of the Trubisky pick when they could have had Watson or Mahomes instead. So from that aspect, I hope Fields works out for them. Iā€™m just glad the Dolphins have Tua instead of Fields as their QB.

Justin Fields will be the best QB of this draft. We should have taken him, seeing as Tua was a mistake. I am sad.
You can always become a Bears fan and root for Fields. Itā€™s never too late. Personally I am glad Fields is in Chicago and Tua is in Miami.

Why don't you think Fields has it 'between the ears?' Does Lawrence have it 'between the ears?' Fields bested Lawrence on multiple occasions and I think Fields has 2x the heart Lawrence has.
Actually they split 1-1. Fields more or less choked in the 2019 semifinal game, forcing an interception in the end zone on an early down with maybe 30 seconds remaining. There was no reason to throw that ball. Ohio State dominated the game and really should have had an insurmountable margin other than Fields failing to concert in the red zone time and again in the first half. It turned into a flurry of short field goals.

Lawrence relied on his legs and basically outgutted Fields in that first meeting. My impression was the opposite of yours. In the 2020 rematch I was convinced if it was a close game the same thing would happen, with Lawrence simply more mentally strong down the stretch. But Fields could win if he managed touchdowns and a big margin. The later is how it played out.

Fields is a unique prospect because he's got definitive strengths and weaknesses. The big play capability is huge. That is a major plus and almost guarantees that Fields won't bust completely. He's very accurate downfield on the Russell Wilson-type loop ball plays.

The issue with Fields is mechanics and specifically that chicken wing high elbow. It causes all kind of problems on midrange throws partially due to how long it takes to deliver the ball and partially because it lends to inaccuracy on that type of throw. Frankly, football coaches are not very good at ironing out mechanical issues. There is no chance a talented guy should advance to that level without the high extended elbow being addressed and corrected long ago. You don't see that in other sports. The specialized coaches on the youth level know the mechanics and help the young athlete fix them.

I've mentioned Fields' high elbow many times, and how it is so similar to Cam Newton's issues and likewise Carson Wentz. Many other names going back. I was mentioning this on Las Vegas radio more than 30 years ago. To my surprise, Dan Orlovsky yesterday on NFL Live did an absolutely masterful breakdown of Fields' poor mechanics, focusing specifically on the high elbow and how different it is compared to Lawrence, Wilson, Jones and Lance. Orlovsky drew a tracer on the arm path of each guy. The other four were virtually identical. Orlovsky called it a candy cane or C path. Those guys had delivery times ranging from .4 to .6 of a second. Zach Wilson was quickest at .4. But when Orlovsky traced Fields' delivery the path was all over the place. Vastly different. Needless wasted direction and time. Orlovsky said that instead of a smooth candy cane it looked like a wire bent out of shape. Consequently Fields' delivery time was much higher at .8 of a second.

Then Orlovsky stood up on set and demonstrated that Fields holds the ball below the extended elbow when it should be the opposite...the elbow tucked and down while the ball is higher. Exactly. That's what I've been trying to point out.

The good news for Fields is that he's not nearly as tense in his delivery as someone like Newton. Fields has high elbow but relaxed muscles while Newton is like a vice. Wentz is somewhere in the middle. If someone gets ahold of Fields right now it might be an easy fix and huge payoff. That's why I wouldn't have been opposed to the Dolphins taking Fields at 6. If he connects then it's vastly above the return of a little wide receiver.

Well, I was never in the place of Fields>Tua but I felt like in this year's class, and the Bears QB situation, this was a nice situation.

My comment about Fields besting Lawrence at the beginning of their college career referred to that Elite11 camp they attended. They showed that program on NFL Network on Tuesday. Fields was lights out. Lawrence was 'meh'.
But, I feel dumb for not remembering the 2019 game.

I just wonder who the Bears will be drafting at QB in 3 years. I am not rooting against Fields because I only root against players when they play the Dolphins. I just donā€™t see him becoming a good NFL QB, even though I though he was a very good college QB.

I know the Bears fans have been suffering because of the Trubisky pick when they could have had Watson or Mahomes instead. So from that aspect, I hope Fields works out for them. Iā€™m just glad the Dolphins have Tua instead of Fields as their QB.

I, too, a, glad the phins got their QB last yr.... and I was a proponent of Simmons at #5 last yr

Actually they split 1-1. Fields more or less choked in the 2019 semifinal game, forcing an interception in the end zone on an early down with maybe 30 seconds remaining. There was no reason to throw that ball. Ohio State dominated the game and really should have had an insurmountable margin other than Fields failing to concert in the red zone time and again in the first half. It turned into a flurry of short field goals.

Lawrence relied on his legs and basically outgutted Fields in that first meeting. My impression was the opposite of yours. In the 2020 rematch I was convinced if it was a close game the same thing would happen, with Lawrence simply more mentally strong down the stretch. But Fields could win if he managed touchdowns and a big margin. The later is how it played out.

Fields is a unique prospect because he's got definitive strengths and weaknesses. The big play capability is huge. That is a major plus and almost guarantees that Fields won't bust completely. He's very accurate downfield on the Russell Wilson-type loop ball plays.

The issue with Fields is mechanics and specifically that chicken wing high elbow. It causes all kind of problems on midrange throws partially due to how long it takes to deliver the ball and partially because it lends to inaccuracy on that type of throw. Frankly, football coaches are not very good at ironing out mechanical issues. There is no chance a talented guy should advance to that level without the high extended elbow being addressed and corrected long ago. You don't see that in other sports. The specialized coaches on the youth level know the mechanics and help the young athlete fix them.

I've mentioned Fields' high elbow many times, and how it is so similar to Cam Newton's issues and likewise Carson Wentz. Many other names going back. I was mentioning this on Las Vegas radio more than 30 years ago. To my surprise, Dan Orlovsky yesterday on NFL Live did an absolutely masterful breakdown of Fields' poor mechanics, focusing specifically on the high elbow and how different it is compared to Lawrence, Wilson, Jones and Lance. Orlovsky drew a tracer on the arm path of each guy. The other four were virtually identical. Orlovsky called it a candy cane or C path. Those guys had delivery times ranging from .4 to .6 of a second. Zach Wilson was quickest at .4. But when Orlovsky traced Fields' delivery the path was all over the place. Vastly different. Needless wasted direction and time. Orlovsky said that instead of a smooth candy cane it looked like a wire bent out of shape. Consequently Fields' delivery time was much higher at .8 of a second.

Then Orlovsky stood up on set and demonstrated that Fields holds the ball below the extended elbow when it should be the opposite...the elbow tucked and down while the ball is higher. Exactly. That's what I've been trying to point out.

The good news for Fields is that he's not nearly as tense in his delivery as someone like Newton. Fields has high elbow but relaxed muscles while Newton is like a vice. Wentz is somewhere in the middle. If someone gets ahold of Fields right now it might be an easy fix and huge payoff. That's why I wouldn't have been opposed to the Dolphins taking Fields at 6. If he connects then it's vastly above the return of a little wide receiver.

Nothing a good QB coach can't fix.

Maholmes had probably the worst mechanics I've ever seen in my life coming out.

Back
Top Bottom