Belichick: Third preseason game nothing like season | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Belichick: Third preseason game nothing like season

MDFINFAN

Reach for the Stars
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I thought this might be a good read for us before the 3rd preseason game after watching the posts here after the first two preseason games. I honestly think these are glorified practices like A. Foster said, a chance for players to work on things they need to get ready for the season- so don't make too much of the outcome, good or bad...any way, here's what Billy boy said concerning the 3rd preseason game.

About "dress rehearsal" for the regular season"

"I don't. I don't know what that means," Belichick said. "In terms of playing time it might be a little different, but in terms of game-planning and strategy, what we see in the regular season compared to what we see the in third preseason game I don't even think you're in the same universe. We're still running our basic plays and we'd expect our opponents would run their basic plays. You get to the opener and start to get to game-planning and scheme, I mean you're in a totally different ballpark, in my opinion. I don't see any comparison at all. It's too far away, I don't see how you could compare them, from that standpoint.

"One-on-one matchups, letting the players play, yeah, I would say you have a better matchup of guys like that, but it's nothing compared to what we're going to see in the regular season from a total scheme situation standpoint."
The dress rehearsal might not be about game planning, but it will highlight a few things the starters need to clean up before the games start to count. Getting extended playing time in the third preseason game is the best chance for starters to regain their rapport heading into the season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...hick-third-preseason-game-nothing-like-season

There are definitely things you can draw from the third PS game that you can use to make more informed conclusions.

For instance, if you see that your team is playing man coverage and your cornerbacks are getting roasted hard, that's a sign that your team is likely going to have issues in coverage.

Nobody should look at the outcome...of course...

Everyone should look at the 1-on-1 battles. That is is a very good indication of what you will see in the regular season...

Nobody should look at the outcome...of course... Everyone should look at the 1-on-1 battles. That is is a very good indication of what you will see in the regular season...
Agreed. A lot of PS is about evaluation. Plays aren't called to win the game but to see players in specific situations. W/L doesn't matter. BUT, that doesn't mean coaches don't see and respond to weaknesses and patterns. Thus, Thomas drops and Tunsil rises.

preseason means nothing

I'd totally expect BB to say this and he's right. Never forget that the only purpose to preseason is a money grab by the owners.

It's a learning experience for everyone. Coaches, players etc. it's also a good gauge of where you're at with the install.

Preseason matters for guys fighting for roster spots and playing time. Beyond that, it's fun to speculate about what individual match ups mean, but it's nothing more than speculation.

The panic on this forum over two preseason games is pretty funny but also a little sad.

hell the week one regular season is nothing like the mid - late regular season. Remember a couple years ago when we beat the patriots in week one.....and they went on to win the superbowl and we did what we do best, finished in mediocre town.

I'd totally expect BB to say this and he's right. Never forget that the only purpose to preseason is a money grab by the owners.

Idk about that. Who buys individual game tickets to pre-season? By large only season ticket holders go to preseason games

I would say iirc there were signs even going back to the preseason games last year that we might have a problem stopping the run. So far it seems like that trend is continuing to show it's head during this preseason. Probably isn't cause to outright panic but imo it should be something to give some consideration towards.

Idk about that. Who buys individual game tickets to pre-season? By large only season ticket holders go to preseason games
Which season ticket holders are forced to pay for.

hell the week one regular season is nothing like the mid - late regular season. Remember a couple years ago when we beat the patriots in week one.....and they went on to win the superbowl and we did what we do best, finished in mediocre town.

That's also a really good point. Week one is always wild.

Heck, maybe we do have a shot vs Seattle.

There are definitely things you can draw from the third PS game that you can use to make more informed conclusions.

For instance, if you see that your team is playing man coverage and your cornerbacks are getting roasted hard, that's a sign that your team is likely going to have issues in coverage.

Agreed. And it also varies from team to team. Belichick changes the Patriots every week to suit his opponent. That's why he values well rounded intelligent players over top flight athletes. They have to be able to adjust every single week. So yeah, I can see why he doesn't think the preseason counts for everything.

But there are plenty of coaches like Gary Kubiak who run the same **** every week and dare the other team to stop it. They run the same plays in the same way in the preseason as they will in the regular season.

Back
Top Bottom