Belichick: Third preseason game nothing like season | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Belichick: Third preseason game nothing like season

There are definitely things you can draw from the third PS game that you can use to make more informed conclusions.

For instance, if you see that your team is playing man coverage and your cornerbacks are getting roasted hard, that's a sign that your team is likely going to have issues in coverage.

If you have a coaching staff that does not change the schemes and limits the game planning, then I agree with you. I am not sure whether this is true of Coach Gase's coaching staff. The third preseason game is a process dress rehearsal not a an indicator of actual game planning. Just the process with still vanilla scheme.

Agreed. And it also varies from team to team. Belichick changes the Patriots every week to suit his opponent. That's why he values well rounded intelligent players over top flight athletes. They have to be able to adjust every single week. So yeah, I can see why he doesn't think the preseason counts for everything.

But there are plenty of coaches like Gary Kubiak who run the same **** every week and dare the other team to stop it. They run the same plays in the same way in the preseason as they will in the regular season.

Remember our coaching staff said they would run a different game plan week to week based on match ups, just like BB. So for now, I think our coaching staff is seeing exactly what we're good at and build around that as opposed to just running the same ol thing and seeing if other teams can stop it. I do think we will run to our strength every week, so in that respect we might seem like the same, but I think they add enough wrinkles each week to make it look a little different. The pats passing game looks the same week to week to me too.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's obviously a lot to take away from the preseason as far as coach is concerned. The defense got butchered last week, but what we saw we needed to see. Better to witness that during preseason than when it counts. I certainly don't expect to see a defense that is yards away from every potential receiver down the field! :lol:

If you have a coaching staff that does not change the schemes and limits the game planning, then I agree with you. I am not sure whether this is true of Coach Gase's coaching staff. The third preseason game is a process dress rehearsal not a an indicator of actual game planning. Just the process with still vanilla scheme.

Here's what I'm saying, though:

If we see that our linebackers struggle to cover tight ends, or Byron Maxwell gets beaten like a drum through the first half, I think we can much more safely conclude that we will have problems with coverage from those guys than we could conclude that everything is fine.

If we see that our offensive line struggles to pick up their assignments and guys lose 1on1 battles in the trenches, we can more safely assume that we're still going to have OL woes early in the season.

That's also a really good point. Week one is always wild.

Heck, maybe we do have a shot vs Seattle.

Plus, they are 5-3 and 4-4 in the first half of the last two seasons, so not exactly juggernauts early on.

They come off as ****y bastards, so not that surprising really.

Remember our coaching staff said they would run a different game plan week to week based on matches, just like BB. So for now, I think our coaching staff is seeing exactly what we're good that and build around that as opposed to just running the same ol thing and seeing if other teams can stop it. I do think we will run to our strength every week, so in that respect we might seem like the same, but I think they add enough wrinkles each to make it a little different. The pats passing game looks the same week to week to me too.

They might very well decide that we can't behave the way that Belichick behaves. Among other things we have several players on this roster not exactly known for their intelligence and others who clearly only do one or two things well.

But their stated intention was to be flexible, absolutely. But that might be reflected more in roster choices down the line than it will this year.

Here's what I'm saying, though:

If we see that our linebackers struggle to cover tight ends, or Byron Maxwell gets beaten like a drum through the first half, I think we can much more safely conclude that we will have problems with coverage from those guys than we could conclude that everything is fine.

If we see that our offensive line struggles to pick up their assignments and guys lose 1on1 battles in the trenches, we can more safely assume that we're still going to have OL woes early in the season.

I agree with you with one very large caveat. It is sometimes difficult to separate technical errors from true deficiencies. I have read posts on this site where the defense pathetic and doomed for failure. I still see numerous scheme and technical errors related to scheme occurring as everyone should expect with a new defense. I do agree that our defense lacks the speed and the effort level (everyone rallying to the ball) to cover for the numerous technical errors being made.

Player evaluations still come hugely into play...

1. How much better is player A then player B.

2. How much heart does the players have, is there a player that even though, not as talented, refuses to give up on plays or game if losing.

3. How well is player A, who is coming back from a major injury look in a game against a real opponent, and can he perform better then player B, who though not nearly as talented, might be better due to past surgery of player A.

4. How good are your teams backups...who will be your teams backups.

5. Are there players that look like superman in practice, and like Lois Lane in games, or vice versa.

Why was this move to this forum when it was intended for the main forum..it's not a Beasts of the AFC East threat..it's a more general statement for the main forum..

Wins mean nothing, but some things do. If everyone keeps plowing through our offensive line, then we have a problem. If your QB keeps throwing picks or missing open receivers, we have a problem, etc...

"The third preseason game is nothing like the regular season. I mean, the play calls aren't even worth recording. To say nothing of the effort involved with deflating footballs..."

I think that Belichick was being deliberately disingenuous. Preseason wins and losses mean nothing. How teams play, especially the first stringers, means everything. Good teams execute their basic offenses and defenses well because they perform the fundamentals well. Bad teams, not so much. As Patra (the author) noted, the dress rehearsal aspect of the third preseason game is about the starters getting an extended run-through of what they'll do in the regular season, not about any kind of game planning. Belichick was asked about A, but he answered about B and hoped nobody would notice.

In the first two preseason games, NE hasn't looked very good at all playing against other teams' starters, so I'm thinking Belichick may be prepping NE fans for a less than awesome third preseason game performance.

Back
Top Bottom