Benching Henne is the wrong move. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Benching Henne is the wrong move.

Enough of the "we went 4-4 against an early tough schedule" BS. All that says about our team is that we can't beat anyone who's tough. Hell, I'm scared of Oakland and Detroit at this point. Even the bills have more ****ing points scored then we do. Henne did exactly what we all expected him to do, lose to the good teams and play like ****, and beat the ****tier teams while playing like ****.

Pennington can salvage this season because he won't miss a 2-3 yard, wide open Anthony Fasano. He won't throw 3 INT's with no TD's. He's a proven QB, Henne is not. Henne came in too early.

Benching Henne was the right move.

Umm... So how many TDs did Penny throw against the Ravens in the Playoffs last year? How many INTs??
0 TDs and 4 INTs.... Now you were saying?

Henne throws 3 int's and no TD's during his last game. The guy has no spark, no excitement to get the other players fired up. He can't seem to get it done in the red zone, he throws up lame slow passes that give the defense time to react to. Ed Reed calls him the easiest QB to read in the NFL. He stares down WR's time after time after time. He is given SO much time in the pocket and often comes up with nothing to show for it.
I for one am ok with the call to bench Henne. I don't think he will be out of here next season, but he's got to show something more than he showed us in the first half of the season. Pennington is intelligent and careful with the ball, and people rally around him. This proves to me that the OC isn't going to settle for average and that is what Henne has been so far. I hope he improves his leadership ability and his ACCURACY over the next few months and proves me wrong.
I'm ready to roll with Penny, because we are quickly getting left behind in the playoff hunt.
He has provided us a huge spark before, and i hope he can do it again.
Go Phins!

Umm... So how many TDs did Penny throw against the Ravens in the Playoffs last year? How many INTs??
0 TDs and 4 INTs.... Now you were saying?

Your focus is all wrong on this one.....what you SHOULD be focusing on is the word playoffs, and the fact that we were even there. Yeh he tried too hard to carry us on his back, but it was the only way it would have happened in that game. They were a much better squad than we were that day.
Henne has to quit staring down WR's.......it will be his death as a QB in the NFL if the game doesn't slow down for him soon.

This proves to me that the OC isn't going to settle for average

Unless he's talking about himself.

Look, the problem with this move is it's an admission by the coaching staff that they have ONE way to play offensively. The fact that their personnel for the future don't fit that way is irrelevant to them (even though they picked these guys). So, rather than TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for the low morale, the lack of progress in some areas of the offense (by no means limited to Henne), the inappropriateness of the playcalling, the tentativeness, the fear of failure, the roster churn..... EVERY ONE OF WHICH IS THE COACHES JOB,

they've decided to abdicate responsibility, shelve progress, refuse to adapt, admit their inability to motivate a team while bringing new talent through, coach that talent, respond to a fast-changing NFL with hundreds of forward-thinking coaches plotting against them and do what?

Retreat into their shells, put their fingers in their ears and hand over all of the aforementioned responsibility to a former great QB who will be doing radio work in 18 months if his arm hasn't fallen off before then.

Some managers are good at turning problematic businesses around. Some managers are good at building on solid foundations. Sometimes, it's the same guy who can do both. Other times, the first guy is Sparano and the second guy is a new HC.

I'm not a sensationalist, a depressive, a moaner or whatever. But I believe that Sparano has just shown his cards for the first time. I thought he had a full house, turns out it was a pair of queens (him and Henning!).

After reading quotes I think that it is clear that Henne is not done with his chances to be our QB of the future. Basically it came down to the fact that Pennington is more vocal and inspiring to his teammates, AND (mostly because) minus Marshall and Bess the rest of our offensive personnel is obviously incapable of handling the velocity of Henne's passes. Additionally, the playcalling is not meant for a cannon-armed QB...it's best suited for a guy who can drop the touch pass in and anticipate minor separation, throwing to a spot. I think they have enough film and experience to now go back with Henne and coach him up on the things that prevented him from getting over the hump, for now. The kind of praise his talent and work ethic have gotten from teammates, and the way people have come out and said what is clear to all of us Henne supporters, it wasn't his fault, says alot. Our mediocrity has been a team effort as Marshall said. I have come to respect the decision and am quite optimistic about the rest of this season, AND the future. Henne will be fine mentally, he has shown he can be mentally tough. He believes in his own ability and he works hard, hopefully he will hit the film that much harder and come back with a vengeance when he gets another shot. Nobody can deny that he has made numerous throws that some Super Bowl winning QB's are incapable of making. To say he sucks is idiotic.

After reading quotes I think that it is clear that Henne is not done with his chances to be our QB of the future. Basically it came down to the fact that Pennington is more vocal and inspiring to his teammates, AND (mostly because) minus Marshall and Bess the rest of our offensive personnel is obviously incapable of handling the velocity of Henne's passes....

Where did you read this at?

i am sick about this whole dam thing.what the coach did was slap the whole team down,and put out the fires before they cost him his job.rick comes out first-then bm says henne could be very good-then hartline says the same dam thing.all talk about play calling. the players are talking out in the open about the coaches .the nfl net work say the play calling sucks.the fans say the play calling sucks.pretty much everybody says it sucks.one day later henne is benched.fires out.everybody looks like a dumb***.what happened the last time penny played the ravens?not much has changed and not much will.my guess is that ronnie and ricky will leave next year.i am about as low as i have ever been as a fan.lets see how pennys arm works with max protection,and 3 wr's against 7 defenders.what a joke.

A complete rebuild around a core involving Chad Henne would not be a bad thing. My only hope (and concern) would be that any new coach that we might hire could have the same egotistical propensity to fire/waive/cut all players who aren't "his" players while systematically filling the roster with his own choice selections.

I just hope we finally get a smart head coach who works to maximize the quality of the roster while attempting to get the most from the talent he has been given. That would be nice for a change.

This is pretty much it.

NE has won the division most of the last decade because they have stability at he HC and QB spots.

The Jets hope they're developing the same thing with Rex and Sanchez, and Sparano and Henne came into the season with at least the same level of hope as the Jets.

This move reeks of desperation for Sparano. 0-3 at home, and you know the owner needs him to turn that around in a hurry.

Problem is that Pennington is not the answer. He's the QB that Henne already replaced. He was overrated in 2008 playing an easy schedule while the Pats and Jets had their own QB issues, and there's no reason to think he's that good after another shoulder injury.

This really has the potential to lead to a complete rebuild. Sparano is fighting for his job. If he loses, the next guy is going to want his own QB in place.

Hope Pennington is doing as well in practice as they say. Tennessee brings it on defense.

nah. we didn't. and that's why he's not the starter anymore.

We had a QB in the top 12 in Passing Yards and Accuracy.

Read some stats sometime. Those 2 are key.

He is more the victim of play calling than anything else...and maybe an awful fan base.

the owner would have had faith in the coach if he would have stayed with a young qb.henne could have won this week .then we would have been 5-4 and played the hardest schedule in the nfl.but we are going backwards,and with alot talk coming from the players.he should have stayed on the path,and had some faith his coaches could develop a young qb.but they cant with crap playcalling.oh yeh henne cant change any play at any time even if there is a max blitz with bm one on one on the outside.you play the kid to the end one way or the other.this is the worst move possible.we only go backwards from here.

But without jake long here, matt ryan and the dirt infield probably makes this team a two time superbowl champion.... Oh and drafting patrick willis instead of ted ginn. Damn if we didn't draft half the guys we did, and drafted the guys that really came on, we could have an all-pro team!

people just dont get it.matt ryan would suck in this system to.he woudnt be able to check off,or call his own plays at anytime.he would be stuck,and fans would be calling for his head to.

Complete wrong move. The move smells of desperation. If you have a young QB you let him play out the season. Don't pull him when things are going bad when you have built the franchise around the idea his is it for the future. I'm not bashing Pennington nor supporting Henne )especially with his play over the last two games. But this whole team needs a wakeup and to blame it on Henne is a joke. Our defense looks weak in key situations, Vontae had a bad game last week where he looked asleep several times in coverage and tackling, and absolute no team tackling. Last week's game was one of the worst games I have seen Miami play in a long time. Of Henne's 3 picks I thought one of them was his fault. Davone Bess gave no effort on his comeback route on the final throw. We have no speed on offense and have no sense of continuity on play calling.

As much as I respect Penny and am rooting for him to get the job done, I am a little surprised by this move. First, I'm surprised that Henne was benched for Penny because we all know that Penny is pretty much done after this season. If Henne was going to be benched, I would've assumed it would've been for Thigpen because at the very least, he may have as good a chance as Henne of starting next yr.

We had a QB in the top 12 in Passing Yards and Accuracy.

Read some stats sometime. Those 2 are key.

He is more the victim of play calling than anything else...and maybe an awful fan base.

And 24th in QB rating.

Back
Top Bottom