Bengals to let Anthony Collins test market | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bengals to let Anthony Collins test market

broccoli rob

Active Roster
Reaction score
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4641/anthony-collins
The Bengals are interested in re-signing impending free agent LT Anthony Collins, but are willing to let him test the market.
Collins was stellar in pass protection last season, and re-signing him would allow the Bengals to keep OL Andrew Whitworth at the guard position he flourished in the second half of 2013. Cincinnati is prepared to let Collins walk, however, if another team is willing to pay over the odds.

After resigning Grimes, this guy would be my #2 signing. I hope he is on Hickey's radar.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/12/27/5248788/anthony-collins-im-a-starter-no-doubt-about-it
Collins hasn't allowed a quarterback sack on 292 passing plays and only nine pressures total for a pass blocking efficiency score of 97.6, which ranks first among all offensive tackles in the NFL

Since Cincinnati's reconfiguration on the offensive line with Collins at left tackle and Whitworth at left guard against the San Diego Chargers, the Bengals are averaging 114 yards rushing per game, having allowed only three quarterback sacks during that four-game stretch.

But Cincinnati won't sign him to a contract similar to what Andre Smith received -- who is earning $6 million a year with at least $5 million guaranteed -- unless Collins is specifically signed to be the team's long-term solution at left tackle, bouncing Clint Boling out at left guard for Andrew Whitworth.

Bengals have other options and a lot of upcoming FAs. this could be an opportunity to get a guy that can solidify a position on the OL (LT) like Pouncey has done for us at C. He is also a year younger and will require a little more than half of the salary than Brandon Albert.

Sign me up, and feel free to sign Brandan Albert as well. Let's get this right!
If we need to dump M.Moore to free up some more cap space than do it, P.Devlin should be more than ready to step in for a game or two if needed.

If we need to dump M.Moore to free up some more cap space than do it, P.Devlin should be more than ready to step in for a game or two if needed.

If we were able to grab Collins (28) and Jon Asomoah (25), we would have at least the next 5 years on the OL set in 3 positions & a whole draft left.

If things are done right.. we need to make Devlin the #2 this year.... he has been in the system long enough that we need to know if the can either be the Vet Backup, trade bait or time to bring in another young prospect to groom.

Moore is a progress stopper at this point.
Chubbs

I am not sure that Albert is going to break the bank like everyone thinks he will. Play the market. McKinnie will always be there late as a stopgap.

I think Asamoah and Collins (or Albert) are easily doable....

Cut these guys and you save 10 million...

Matt Moore (QB) (total savings 4,000,000)
Demitri Patterson (CB) (Total savings 5,400,000)
Johnathan Martin (?)(Total savings – 345,000)
Daniel Thomas (RB) (Total Savings 816,000)

Going into the Draft you would have....

Collins--------?---------Pouncey---------Asamoah---------?

Let Jerry, Garner, and Brenner battle for one of guards...

Draft Martin or Moses for RT...

Profit!

Collins and best Oline in round one! Best guard in the 2nd, then we got 3,4,5,7 to address RB,LB,DT.

---------- Post added at 03:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 AM ----------

Collins and best RTackle in round one! Best guard in the 2nd, then we got 3,4,5,7 to address RB,LB,DT.

He fits are ol scheme really well. Much better than any other FA lineman and draft prospect. My biggest worry about him though is he was basically a journey backup before this season and stepped up when needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankly, if we want to catapult improvement instead of marginalize and crawl into the playoffs then the OL will probably need at least 2 or 3 starters and 1 or 2 backups signed in FA.

If it's me, I sign Albert, Collins, McKinnie and a G or 2 then draft a starting T and/or G. We need quality and quantity on the line. It is our biggest hole and we don't need to under-address the problem. Let's over address the problem and put this behind us once and for all. Every improvement on the OL extends drives, gains tough yards, protects RT and gives our WRs time to run proper routes. You're not just investing in the OL, you're investing in every offensive skill position.

It is time to stop playing with the problem and put it to bed.

Back
Top Bottom