Bengals to let Anthony Collins test market | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bengals to let Anthony Collins test market

yeah but they really liked him working with whitworth kicked inside to left guard when he came back from injury...so it still seems odd to me...they definitely have a fallback in whitworth though so maybe they want to play hard ball...still $6 mil per and $5 mil guaranteed for a starting left tackle off that pass pro season is chump change...the guaranteed money is worth it by itself

I liked signing Collins from when I first looked at our options but, have to agree that there are some concerns. We are basically judging him on a half season's work, and that is a risky thing to do.

However, it was a hell of a half a year at LT. Including the playoff, he played 673 snaps, with 389 in pass protect. He gave up 0 sacks, 1 hit, and 13 hurries. He also only had 1 penalty called and not accepted. He is below average on the run with a -2.3 grade. Albert was -2.4 on the run and a bit below Collins in pass blocking.

Monroe is the best out there but, I would prefer to take a shot with Collins over the rest considering cost, age, etc. and even Monroe if he is looking for a ton of money.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/1/8/5289086/expect-bengals-lt-anthony-colllins-to-get-paid

Here's a good read on him.

I see tons of major obstacles there for 2015. That frankly looks brutal. But, 2014 looks quite clear to me. If the idea is too much locked up in OT's then maybe we can get one.

They are looking at lots of major investments in 2015 if Dalton and Green come off their rookie contracts and Burfict off his UDFA agreement. Then having Peko and Gresham ... sounds like a cap nightmare.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

burflict off his udfa contract may well be restricted after next year...which means they can retain him by giving him a 1st round tender which they would definitely do...unless the new cba has changed some of that

Man I wish we had Eiffert but I'd take a Gresham/Clay combo over drafting a TE high

doubt miami would look into that they seem to like sims potential in line...i dont really see the pass catching upside though...bringing in gresham would make sims get like no snaps

gresham worked over cam wake in line in the run game when we played em this year...although wake was coming back from injury...

Well, if your alternative is to pay McKinnie similar money for another year's declining production, it strikes me as a move with little enough downside. Regardless of what Cincy's reasoning is for letting him go.

well when you make it sound like that sure it's a no brainer...but i sure as hell hope mckinnie wouldn't be bringing in collins like money at this stage...i would agree though at $6 mil per and $5 mil guaranteed i would absolutely take the leap with collins at left tackle given our situation...$5 mil guaranteed gives you a get out of jail free card provided you put that in the year 1 cap hit...which aponte doesnt seem to be too keen on...

When the Bengals lost left guard Clint Boling to a torn ACL last season, they slid Andrew Whitworth over from left tackle and were rewarded with strong run blocking the rest of the way.

That left them with a decision about where to play Whitworth in the future. Anthony Collins, who took over at left tackle, is set to be a free agent and Boling’s outlook for the start of the season is unclear, leaving the Bengals with several options about how to proceed.

“I’d prefer to play left tackle. I’m a long, lean-lever guy without thick arms or legs. I’m built to play tackle,” Whitworth said “I feel like that’s where I’d like to stay. That’s not a firm thing. It’s just what I would prefer.”

Hue Jackson’s ascension to offensive coordinator has come with talk of more focus on the running game and Whitworth’s work at left guard last season would seem to make him a good fit in that spot moving forward. Should Collins return to the team or the Bengals pick up another left tackle possibility this offseason, that spot might belong to Whitworth for the long term.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...t-tackle-but-bengals-havent-settled-anything/

Any O-lineman we draft will be hot garbage for most of their rookie year. The best 4-5 will already be off the board when we draft and even some of the best suck in their rookie year, especially tackles. I could see maybe getting the 2nd or 3rd best guard, though, as he has a chance of being a better player overall. I'm just saying; if we're looking at making marked improvement for the 2014 season, then we need to dive deep into FA and get 3 quality FAs who can start and be at least league-average. Then Nate Garner/ Sam Brenner and some rookie can battle for one starting spot with Dallas Thomas (assuming he isn't just cut) and whatever else is on the roster.

It's kind of amazing that Kansas City took Eric Fisher as the 2nd or 3rd overall player and he was near-useless all year, and yet they were still an 11-win team. Lane Johnson was useless most of the season but he did come on late (and if we had drafted him, he probably would've helped us a lot by the end of the year when McKinnie was sucking hard). Anyone thinking that the first offensive lineman taken in the draft, or even most 1st-round linemen are be like Jake Long in his rookie year just doesn't know football. In this light, Pouncey actually seems to be really damn good. I don't know why he's been tipping off the start of the play, but maybe that can be easily corrected. If we take a first-round lineman at 19, though, he's a 'project', in all likelihood.

BTW: Broccoli Rob: Your profile picture is AWESOME!

Any O-lineman we draft will be hot garbage for most of their rookie year. The best 4-5 will already be off the board when we draft and even some of the best suck in their rookie year, especially tackles. I could see maybe getting the 2nd or 3rd best guard, though, as he has a chance of being a better player overall. I'm just saying; if we're looking at making marked improvement for the 2014 season, then we need to dive deep into FA and get 3 quality FAs who can start and be at least league-average. Then Nate Garner/ Sam Brenner and some rookie can battle for one starting spot with Dallas Thomas (assuming he isn't just cut) and whatever else is on the roster.

It's kind of amazing that Kansas City took Eric Fisher as the 2nd or 3rd overall player and he was near-useless all year, and yet they were still an 11-win team. Lane Johnson was useless most of the season but he did come on late (and if we had drafted him, he probably would've helped us a lot by the end of the year when McKinnie was sucking hard). Anyone thinking that the first offensive lineman taken in the draft, or even most 1st-round linemen are be like Jake Long in his rookie year just doesn't know football. In this light, Pouncey actually seems to be really damn good. I don't know why he's been tipping off the start of the play, but maybe that can be easily corrected. If we take a first-round lineman at 19, though, he's a 'project', in all likelihood.

BTW: Broccoli Rob: Your profile picture is AWESOME!

Good post, and I completely agree. The draft is a lotto shot at fixing the OL this year.

burflict off his udfa contract may well be restricted after next year...which means they can retain him by giving him a 1st round tender which they would definitely do...unless the new cba has changed some of that

Don't think the Steelers wouldn't want to take Burfict away from Cincy...they'd do it in a heartbeat and make the contract difficult for Cincy to match. Leaving Cincy to decide if they want to keep Burfict and risk not having enough for other free agents or let Burfict walk to a divisional rival and take would would likely be a mid-to-late round draft pick. Is Burfict worth an 18-25 draft pick?

Don't think the Steelers wouldn't want to take Burfict away from Cincy...they'd do it in a heartbeat and make the contract difficult for Cincy to match. Leaving Cincy to decide if they want to keep Burfict and risk not having enough for other free agents or let Burfict walk to a divisional rival and take would would likely be a mid-to-late round draft pick. Is Burfict worth an 18-25 draft pick?

Good points on Pitt and Cinci but, why should we care?

hell yes he's worth it in my book...someone probably would if only a 1st round comp make an offer...but the off the field stuff that followed him and his behaviors at zona st could turn some teams off...is he worth it though??? yes...worth pick #19 to me any day

Collins and best Oline in round one! Best guard in the 2nd, then we got 3,4,5,7 to address RB,LB,DT.

---------- Post added at 03:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 AM ----------

Collins and best RTackle in round one! Best guard in the 2nd, then we got 3,4,5,7 to address RB,LB,DT.

Zach Martin round one

Ka"deem Carey Round two

Seantral Henderson round 3

Back
Top Bottom