Best Center Of All Time? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best Center Of All Time?

WHO'S THE BEST CENTER OF ALL TIME IN NFL HISTORY?

• DWIGHT STEPHENSON

Votes: 29 80.6%
  • MIKE WEBSTER

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters

phinsphan4ever

Welcome to Miami Daunte!!
Reaction score
HEY GUYS, WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dawson was great but Stevenson was better imo I think we've been very lucky at that position. First Langer and then Stevenson and Ruddy is not as good of course but he hesn't been terrible either but we were spoiled but the other 2 centers.

Ozzy rules!!!

dwight is a local home town fav .class act a shame that an injury cut his career short. i went to the same high school hampton high .and the crabbers are the cream of the crop in football hands down in the state, a ton of state champ trophys proves it. ronald curry also came out of hampton high.

Yeah....but Coach Smith has been on the hot seat for the last few years, some "discipline problems"

lots of great talent comes out of the Hampton/Norfolk area. All that damn transient military...lol

BTW, i'm a product of Varina High School in Richmond Va.

Originally posted by aqua&orange54
HEY GUYS, WHAT DO YOU THINK?

No doubt about it! Dwight Stevenson, and his career was even cut short.

Give this poll to the players, and former players and I bet he comes out wayyyyyy ahead.

Originally posted by Josh Reed
Kent Hull!

Now I should have known you would add to this thread!
After all it requires LESS than a sentence to add some Billyness.

:evil:

I think Tim Duncan might have something to say about that. :)

Even though I see a homer trend here. I must vote for the recently dearly departed Mr Webster.
Dwight Stephenson was a great center for a few years. But the key was for only a few years. Stephenson only was a full-time starter for less than six years. Webster was a starter for fourteen years.
Webster was good enough to force out a very good center, Ray Mansfield, by his second year, where Stephenson had not rooted out a mediocre center in Mark Dennard until his third year(you might be surprised that Dennard was the center in the legendary 1981 double overtime playoff game against San Diego and Stephenson played only on special teams).
Also the guards Webster played with were much weaker players than the guards Stephenson played with. Stephenson played with Bob Keuchenberg, Ed Neuman, and Roy Foster, all good guards who played in Pro Bowls, while Webster never played with a Pro Bowl quality guard. Yet the Dolphin and Steeler middle of the lines were rated nearly equally. Webster carried a bigger load.
Also sentimentally I must pick Webster. I shared the same heigth, played the same posistion, had the same first name, and wore the same number as he did. Webster was the only center wearing #52 in 1976 when I was given that number as a high school center, therefore he was the player I looked up to.

Originally posted by Pink_Dove
Dermonti Dawson

Dermonti really raised the bar - couldn't agree more. Between Stephenson and Webster I'd have to play the home card and take Webster. The man was a class act in every sense.

What? No Tim "FlapJack" Ruddy? The guy is always getting pancaked!

J/K, Tim is doing okay. Not great, but not to bad.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom