Best Player Available.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best Player Available..

SkapePhin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
How would that work? Say we sign both Arrington and Harrington before the draft..

So what if the BPA at 16 is a QB or LB.. Would we really take them? That would be ALOT of money in those positions.. Would it really be feasible?

SkapePhin said:
How would that work? Say we sign both Arrington and Harrington before the draft..

So what if the BPA at 16 is a QB or LB.. Would we really take them? That would be ALOT of money in those positions.. Would it really be feasible?

I think we are going to take a Wide Receiver first (Santonio or Chad)...if we don't sign Arrington we might go after an LB but I doubt it....I think we go WR first then a D-back, then an O-lineman.

Saban isn't an advocate of pure BPA like I am.

He appears to select areas where the team needs help and select the best player available from among those positions. He indicated yesterday that it's pretty likely that LB and WR are the big two areas at the moment. I imagine CB and S will join those two to form the positions he'll be looking at. QB may also be included, but that's a moot point for the first rounder unless somebody does fall to 16.

This isn't the approach I prefer, but I can't argue with the results last year.

It would be BPA among the positions of need, I think. Obviously if we sign Lavar, we're not drafting Chad Greenway just because he's there, nor would we draft Reggie Bush (I know he's not making it, but it's an example). We're probably going to draft the BPA of WR, CB, and S, maybe DL. But as more and more time passes, I think they are going to want Chad Jackson.

he'll probably look at WR-LB-DB-OL and pick whichever position has the best player out of all of those

I think it will be the best OL, S, CB, or WR available. (O-line being the least likely).It will be whoever Saban thinks is best out of those positions. With that many positions, it's hard to imagine any pick being a reach.

SkapePhin said:

If by chance we get Arrington, and Harrington, then I think Nick will look at CB, or WR. These are needed for depth and we need a good quality 3rd wide receiver. Ol could be in there as well. However Houck can mold OL lineman with qualities in the mid to late rounds. We will see where Nick feels he needs to go. He could trade down and pick up a 2nd from the right team and still get some great players as well.

I think he'll look for BPA in certain areas of need but if the right player falls Saban will take him regardless of whether or not it is an area of strength.

RWhitney014 said:
It would be BPA among the positions of need, I think. Obviously if we sign Lavar, we're not drafting Chad Greenway just because he's there, nor would we draft Reggie Bush (I know he's not making it, but it's an example). We're probably going to draft the BPA of WR, CB, and S, maybe DL. But as more and more time passes, I think they are going to want Chad Jackson.
i'm pretty sure we'd draft reggie bush. and i don't see a problem with drafting a linebacker even after signing arrington. depth is very important on defense, especially in the front 7.

Fin Fan in Cali said:
If by chance we get Arrington, and Harrington, then I think Nick will look at CB, or WR. These are needed for depth and we need a good quality 3rd wide receiver. Ol could be in there as well. However Houck can mold OL lineman with qualities in the mid to late rounds. We will see where Nick feels he needs to go. He could trade down and pick up a 2nd from the right team and still get some great players as well.

I would love to see us maybe trade down with Denver and get their 2nd pick of the first round and maybe Denver could throw us a 2nd or 3rd rounder as well? Not sure they would do this, but Denver has two first rounders so I think we could deal with them. Unfortunately Denver moved to the #15 spot and I think they are going to grab Santonio Holmes.

Fin Fan in Cali said:

IMO, we have depth at cb and wr. The most important position I think we need to address is a run clogging DT.

SkapePhin said:

I would hope we trade down...pick up a second rounder and perhaps
later round pick and be able to still draft a solid wr like Sinoris Moss later in the first round.:dolphins:

Fin Fan in Cali said:

Sounds good to me

UF Fin Kat said:
i'm pretty sure we'd draft reggie bush. and i don't see a problem with drafting a linebacker even after signing arrington. depth is very important on defense, especially in the front 7.

If Ricky's back plus Ronnie's contract, you'd be committing a LOT of money to the RB position. Too much money, in fact. Not to mention there wouldn't be any way to make him effective. It's a totally moot debate, of course.

Depth may be important on defense, but I call Arrington-Thomas-Crowder-Spragan-Hodge-Pope-Taylor in the 3-4 plenty of depth. We have Cooper, Bell, Hill, and Tillman for the safety spots, Daniels, Allen, Poole, Goodman, and an empty dime spot (Hill could play there; Shirdonya Mitchell, Eddie Jackson, or a draft pick/extra veteran signing could too).

I think it comes down to the WR corps. Chambers and Book are 1-2, obviously. I personally think Welker is fine as a 3 and great as a 4. Campbell will be 5 and special teams guy. I'd love to see them bring in a deep threat like Chad Jackson to compliment Chambers' deep threat and Book/Wes' production/possession. That's where I think the combo of BPA and best fit come together.

I am hoping that some surprize players fall to the #16th spot that some teams would covet. That would put us in an excellent position to trade for a later 1st rounder and pick up another pick, maybe a second rounder as well.

Back
Top Bottom