Best Player Available.. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best Player Available..

Waaay too high for Manny Lawson. If you want him, you trade down. Most mocks I've seen have him in the 28-35 range.

To me, at #16...regardless of how you put it, it's gonna come down to 3 options:

-Santonio Holmes
-Jimmy Williams
-Trade Down

To me, there is only 2 positions that I am comfortable with in reguards to depth. DEnds and RBs. Anything else would be welcomed. If we did pick up Harrington (which we won't) do you think that we'd pass on Cutler if he falls and the front Office sees him as the BPA? Same thing with Arrington. Would we pass up on Greenway or Simms (who alot of you don't like his fit here, but I love the dude) if the F.O. felt like they were the best players avail? Let's face it. Safety IS our #1 concern right now. There is 0% chance of Huff reaching us. The rest of the pack would be stretches at 16. I'm in favor of trading down, but not that many teams are desperate enough to 'take the bait' anymore. Especially after the top 10-12 picks. That's why Miami's Front Office will lean more to the BPA moreso than most would anticipate.

RWhitney014 said:
Waaay too high for Manny Lawson. If you want him, you trade down. Most mocks I've seen have him in the 28-35 range.

And that's why they call them 'mocks'. Mocks are nothing but guesses and those are built on 'team' needs. No mock ever goes for BPA and most mocks beyond 2 weeks before the draft usually miss on half the players. Mocks don't have access to medical reports, can't cut through the bull that teams throw out there either and they don't have scouting departments or coaches who may see things in players others don't.

Freshness~

I think your response was well thought out. When people say that Huff will be there at 16 they are being unreasonable. I do believe that Manny Lawson is a stretch, as do I believe the same for Whitner. I really wouldnt mind a Greenway, Holmes, Justice pick at 16.

RWhitney014 said:

Your nutz! Manny will be the 2nd LB taken in the draft....
speaking of mock draft sites check the link they have him as the 12 best player in the draft!\
:eek:
the guy didnt get that much attention because he played oppsite MarioWilliams..
http://nfldraftblitz.com/

honestly if we draft a playmaker ill be happy. not really a fan of an olineman first round unless its dbrick, but any safety or wr who will make plays for that side of the ball. i want a playmaker in the passing game whether its us receiving or intercepting. its a good point to be made. our rush defense is top 5 and our running offense is great too. its the passing department on both sides of the ball that needs a few adjustments.

SkapePhin said:
How would that work? Say we sign both Arrington and Harrington before the draft..

So what if the BPA at 16 is a QB or LB.. Would we really take them? That would be ALOT of money in those positions.. Would it really be feasible?

Skape, i gotta go with Boomer's pick, Manny lawson at 16. That is IF we don't sign Arrington. iMO, the only way we ake a QB at 16, even if we sign Harrigton, is if a Cutler drops to us, for some "odd" reason. Now, if we sign arrington and a Cutler doesn't drop, then I think we're going either Holmes or jackson. At this point, I just don't see us taking a DB simply because of all the FA action we've had, albeit neither big name tho. Right now, WR is a bit thinner, iMO.

UF Fin Kat said:
i'm pretty sure we'd draft reggie bush. and i don't see a problem with drafting a linebacker even after signing arrington. depth is very important on defense, especially in the front 7.

If you're going for depth, you don't do it in the 1st round tho.

Finsletmedown said:
speaking of mock draft sites check the link they have him as the 12 best player in the draft!\

Manny Lawson is a second round pick

AtticusFinz said:

I might be confusing him for someone else, but I could have sworn some mock had him going at 33 or 34 or something. Still, is DE a position we need to be looking at? Taylor, Holliday, Carter, Roth can all play there. I think there are more pressing needs at positions where talent is available in this draft.

EDIT: Actually, Todd McShay has him going at 40 to the Lions. Take what you want from that.

I think it's irrelevant that he might be the second LB taken in the draft (and I disagree as well, because Hawk, Greenway, Sims, Kamerion Wimbley, Demeco Ryans, and Bobby Carpenter all project to be higher picks). What if we're talking kickers here? You gonna use the argument that he's a value pick in a certain round because he's the second one off the board? Obviously, LB and K are quite different positions.

Then again, McShay's draft has us picking Penn State CB Alan Zemaitis at 51. I'd be impressed if we did, considering we have no 2nd rounder.

Roman529 said:
I think we are going to take a Wide Receiver first (Santonio or Chad)...if we don't sign Arrington we might go after an LB but I doubt it....I think we go WR first then a D-back, then an O-lineman.

I've said this before but given how the off-season has been so far, we don't really have a true NEED therefore I would like to see a WR taken by us in the first round. CB's and Safetys have a deep class this year, and there will be someone worth grabbing in the 2nd. The same cannot be said for the WR class. The skill drops off rather quickly.

It appears to me that Saban is leaning towards a WR in round 1. I believe that he will draft a DB if the receiver he wants is not available. As for the "best player available" regardless of position, maybe he's hoping for a Lawson or a Young or Cutler to fall to 16. I don't think any of those guys will be available unless the teams ahead of Miami fall asleep at the wheel.

Speaking as a Gator fan I hope Chad Jackson is the receiver of choice. If he decides to go DB, then I'm hoping for Antonio from FSU, it would be great to see Huff in a Dolphin jersey but that doesn't look realistic at this point.

Back
Top Bottom