• Joe Montana

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Tom Brady

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Peyton Manning

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Brett Favre

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Aikman, Blanda, Griese, Namath...)

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
I wouldn't say Marino was the best QB but he was certainly one of the best QB's that never won anything. He more of a stat hoe.

Well Marino and Peyton need a ring. Marino its too late, Peyton I hope he never reaches the Superbowl. Until then its Montana.

MR NFLFAN said:
I wouldn't say Marino was the best QB but he was certainly one of the best QB's that never won anything. He more of a stat hoe.

a stat hoe? I would say Dan's a stat PIMP!
MARINO BABY!

dominizzo said:
MArino never had a running game nor Defense

Actually, as this article shows, that is a myth created by Marino fans seeking to justify the fact that he could not elevate his game when the chips were all on the table. You get a pass though since you are too young to actually remember those teams Marino had in the beginning of his career.

As a pure passer, there was noone better than Marino. But the all-time greatest? That has to be a combination of leadership, winning, skill, and stats. I'd have to go with Montana personally, although Elway is a close second.

I believe Marino possessed more skills than any other quarterback in terms of playing the position. Jaworski always talked about Marino's vision how he could see everything quickly. Put that with the quick release, the underrated footwork, the rifle arm. Awesome. In my mind you can't blame him for not winning a championship because football is the ultimate team game. There are 53 players on a team, 3 units, and a quarterback is on the field less than half the time. However, you can't say he's the best without the championship. I grew up watching Marino, Elway, and Montana and they are the three greatest in my mind. You don't see that many 4th quarter comebacks anymore, like you did regulary with those guys. Amazing.

Johnny Unitas and Bart Starr are definitely up there. Can't believe Starr isn't listed.

Jesus Quintana said:
Actually, as this article shows, that is a myth created by Marino fans seeking to justify the fact that he could not elevate his game when the chips were all on the table. You get a pass though since you are too young to actually remember those teams Marino had in the beginning of his career.

As a pure passer, there was noone better than Marino. But the all-time greatest? That has to be a combination of leadership, winning, skill, and stats. I'd have to go with Montana personally, although Elway is a close second.

You're right. From 1983-1986 Marino did have a decent team around him. As you can tell that's also when he was tearing up teams for 40+ tds a season. After 1987 he didn't have crap, and even in 1986 he had no defense.

The 49ers had GREAT GREAT defenses, Elway had the best runner in the league at the time. When Favre won his superbowl the Packers had the #1 defense in the league. Give Marino any of that, and he has a championship to.
Hmm Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, or Dan Marino? Do you think Marino could've won with the 00' Ravens or 02' Bucs? Absolutely.

A great quarterback does not = a championship. It just means you're going to be competitive. You need a complete team to win the superbowl, and for most of Marino's career, he was playing for a middle market team in a non salary cap era. The 49ers were the yankees of the NFL. Screw Joe Montana.

A great quarterback does not = a championship. It just means you're going to be competitive. You need a complete team to win the superbowl, and for most of Marino's career, he was playing for a middle market team in a non salary cap era. The 49ers were the yankees of the NFL. Screw Joe Montana.
Actually it does. If you cant lead your team to a Superbowl victory when you are fully capable of it, your season has been a faliure. Manning and Marino are amazing! Manning's a better stat hoe...

QB's are leaders, you've got to lead your team to the finish line if you're the best of all time, neither Marino nor Manning has been capable of doing so. Clutch plays an enormous part in being a good QB. If I am correct...the purpose of playing football and being a Quarterback is to win championships not just to be able to say, I put up amazing stats.

Manning beat one of Marino's records...hes had so many 4000 yard seasons. You could make a case for Manning against Marino.

Its all about the ring.

clear.gif

MR NFLFAN said:
For me the best QB was Ray Lucas!

I think he meant best QB to PLAY in the NFL, not the QB you'de like to date the most.

now that I clearified, vote accordingly.

ThePats said:
Actually it does. If you cant lead your team to a Superbowl victory when you are fully capable of it, your season has been a faliure. Manning and Marino are amazing! Manning's a better stat hoe...

QB's are leaders, you've got to lead your team to the finish line if you're the best of all time, neither Marino nor Manning has been capable of doing so. Clutch plays an enormous part in being a good QB. If I am correct...the purpose of playing football and being a Quarterback is to win championships not just to be able to say, I put up amazing stats.

Manning beat one of Marino's records...hes had so many 4000 yard seasons. You could make a case for Manning against Marino.

Its all about the ring.

http://www.jostens.ca/company/press_release/patriots.jpg

So Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson are better Quarterbacks than Dan?

You tell me

Here's a hypothetical situation. Give me your answer.
There's two teams

One QB throws for 200 yards 2 tds and 1 int

the other QB throws for 300 yards 3 tds and 1 int

QB #1s team ran for 150 yards
QB #2s team ran for 45 yards

QB #1 team's Defense is the best in the league
QB #2 team's defense is the worst in the league

The score was 35-28 in favor of QB #1s team

Who was the better QB.

dominizzo said:
Dan MArino!! His stats prove it!! so what he didn"t win a Super Bowl!!

Montana and the Aikmans and the BRadshaws and the Bradys had a team built around them!! MArino never had a running game nor Defense

One would argue that if Dan had a running game he wouldn't have the same stats.

Does Steve Young still have the highest QB rating ever? If Brady wins another championship I think he surpasses Montana, IMO but i've got Elway.

djfresh47 said:
One would argue that if Dan had a running game he wouldn't have the same stats.
That's true. Our games were pretty much one dimensional especially without the running game.

You can't win without a running game; the running game is what sets everything up.

Dan the Man was the Best QB,if the Niners would have had him they would have won a SB almost every yr if not every yr during the yrs the Niners dominated the NFL.Im not saying Montana wasnt great,he was,but Marino was The Best.

Back
Top Bottom