best rb ever? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

best rb ever?

grooves12 said:
OJ Simpson did it in a 14-game season though... I think he is DEFINITELY in the top 3...

without a doubt top 5, 3 sounds about right, just watching old film of jim brown, makes me go:eek:, just awesome

bottom line WALTER PAYTON best all around rb and player ever! he was a better blocker and reciver than any of the guys on your lists. and he ran hard every play and never missed a game!

1.payton

2.sanders, best moves ever but could not block or get yards in short yardage
3.brown, could be the best but he never played agianst the monsters that the other guys played with, he was bigger than most of the linebackers
4.smith, the guy is a great player but what would barry or payton had done with the line he had?
5.eric dickerson-very underated he is a top 5-10 back no doubt.

TOP 5 RB's

1.)
Walter Payton
2.) Barry Sanders
3.) Jim Brown
4.) Emmitt Smith
5.) Juice or Dickerson

To me this is easy....
1. Jim Brown(the most dominating RB in any era) The argument that he didnt play against the monsters of today doesnt hold up because he didnt play with them either. He took what he had and made the most of it.

2. Barry Sanders The most respectful player I have ever watched. Barry never really celebrated any TD, records werent important, and unfortunately he never played on a team that was considered better than average. Oh yeah and he snapped ankles like nobody before or since!

3. Walter Peyton Sweetness, there is nothing anyone can say that hasnt already been said. You dont get a name like "Sweetness" by being average.

4. O.J. Simpson As much as I hate to put him here he was DOMINATING. When you put up 2,000 yards in a 14 game season, it is probably the best year any RB has ever had.

5. Emmitt Smith As much as I would like to knock him down for playing with Dallas, I cant. I dont care if the hole is big enough to drive a mack truck through you still have to get there. He had a great career, and did the most with what he was given. Even if he didnt play with Dallas and had the stats he had I would still put him here just for the fact that the above four are better RB's.

Honorable Mention
Gale Sayers, Bo Jackson, Larry Csonka, and Earl Campbell. If the first two on this list are healthy for an entire career they are probably one and two all time!

I'll agree with the first 4

1. Jim Brown(the most dominating RB in any era) The argument that he didnt play against the monsters of today doesnt hold up because he didnt play with them either. He took what he had and made the most of it.

2. Barry Sanders The most respectful player I have ever watched. Barry never really celebrated any TD, records werent important, and unfortunately he never played on a team that was considered better than average. Oh yeah and he snapped ankles like nobody before or since!

3. Walter Peyton Sweetness, there is nothing anyone can say that hasnt already been said. You dont get a name like "Sweetness" by being average.

4. O.J. Simpson As much as I hate to put him here he was DOMINATING. When you put up 2,000 yards in a 14 game season, it is probably the best year any RB has ever had.

5. Earl Campbell, For the few years he played he was a total recking machine. Everyone new he was getting the ball but nobody could stop him. He would literally run over apposing players like a tank. I know you guys will never forget that monday nite game against us. I sure wont. In his prime he was a terror.

Honorable Mention
Emmit smith, Gale Sayers, Eric Dickerson, tony dorsett and Bo Jackson. Its so hard to chose.

rickysux said:
bottom line WALTER PAYTON best all around rb and player ever! he was a better blocker and reciver than any of the guys on your lists. and he ran hard every play and never missed a game!

1.payton

2.sanders, best moves ever but could not block or get yards in short yardage
3.brown, could be the best but he never played agianst the monsters that the other guys played with, he was bigger than most of the linebackers
4.smith, the guy is a great player but what would barry or payton had done with the line he had?
5.eric dickerson-very underated he is a top 5-10 back no doubt.

Good to see someone appreciates Payton for what he brought to the game.
It's amazing, but Payton seems to just be dismissed by so many.

I do think Brown should be #2.
I loved Barry, but his shortcomings leave him out of the top 3 for me.

1. Payton
2. Brown
3. Smith
4. Sanders
5. ? Dickerson/O.J ?

HelloMotto said:
I know you guys will never forget that monday nite game against us. I sure wont. In his prime he was a terror.

I remember a Sunday game around 75. Just like you stated: everyone knew he was getting the ball and it didn't make any difference.

The best RB ever will have to be Walter Payton and then a close second is Jim Brown.

There's no reason Jim Brown should be anything less than #1 on all these lists. After that it's a free for all. Not only is Jim Brown the best RB ever, he's the best football player ever. Earl Campbell is a good choice to be on there. I'd have him #5 behind brown, sanders, simpson, and payton.

seems like every one agrees pretty much on jim brown and walter payton at 1 and 2(no particular order between the 2), i completely agree, they were awesome backs and deserve the honor of being the top

The game I will never forget is the MNF game in which Earl Campbell ran for around 190 yards for the Houston Oilers against our Fins. He would just bowl over guys and drag them....guys would try to leg tackle him and he would run right through them....I think Earl would have been top 5 had he not taken the pounding he did.

Back
Top Bottom