Votes: 14 21.5%
  • Barry Sanders

Votes: 31 47.7%
  • Emmitt Smith

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nappy Roots said:
Fact is though, everyone in football in Browns era was smaller, which makes it that much more impressive he was so damn big, strong, and fast in that era.
Brown was just a freak of nature for his time but the guys in the NFL have gotten bigger, stronger and faster since his time. There's no doubt if Jim Brown was running today he would still be successful but would he look as good as he did then? That's why it is so hard judging players from different era's, with modern science (mainly the understanding of nutrition and drugs) turning a lot of guys into what can only be described as science projects (guys like Merryman spring to mind, 280lb linebacker that can run like a deer) it is not fair to compare guys who played 30-40 years apart.
I doubt the Jim Brown that ran in the 50's would look anywhere near as good against modern NFL defences but if he had access to all the "supplements" that players have nowadays then with his genetic gifts he probably could still look like a hall of fame RB but its all hypothetical.

Well numbers wise, and accomplishments I'd say Emmit. But because I was a fan and loved to watch him play. I went with Barry.

I understand you guys looking at the overall numbers. And with Brown and with Barry, it is easy to say the "what ifs?". But I think you need to look at the teams they were on. Barry was the Lions for years. Every down, D's knew he was going to get the ball, and they still couldn't stop him. I hated the day he retired. And I almost pee'd myself when all those rumors a few years back came out that he was thinking about coming back to football to play for the Dolplins. Emmit had so much help, I think it is hard to say "best RB", they line they had in the 90's some of us coulda run for big yards... well no me but some of you.

I do like watching old Browns games on ESPN Classic just to see J. Brown truck people though. He would have open field, or a DB, and he'd run over the DB. Wish he woulda stayed playing few more years, because I don't think he's that great of an actor.

Back
Top Bottom