Big Ben | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Big Ben

Bowl_Bound

Practice Squad
Reaction score
There has been a lot of debate over which, if any, QB should be our first choice. Rivers looks good but I would have to vote for Ben. He has more size, speed (amazingly), and power on the ball.
Some say he does not play well in big games like Iowa. That was his first game and he threw a few picks but throughout the rest of the season he was almost perfect, including a bowl game. Last time I checked Bowl games were big. The kid is just raw talent. He has only played QB a few years yet he has a very compitent ability to read college defenses. Obviously it would be much tougher in the NFL, however his ablity to pick up the most difficult position in a short amount of time shows great intelectual upside. Combine great size, speed, raw talent and intelectual upside and I love this kid. I would take manning first but he may go first overall and I cant imagine a scenario where we could get that pick. However there are many top talents at crucial positions that could be taken before Ben. Two 1st rounders could get us in position to trade up and get him. If so I say pull the trigger.:booyeah: We can get linemen and a WR VIA FA.:clap: :cool2: :hi5: :pray: :adfin: :hump: :bandwagon :D

Sorry, but I want Rivers... He reads defenses as well as any QB in the college ranks, he's VERY accurate, and has good arm strength... I've also heard he watches an inordinant amount of film and prepares more than anyone on the team...

I also like him because he has something to prove... His unorthodox mechanics have many people saying he won't cut it in the NFL or that he'll fall into the 3rd round... I suspect he'll be hungry to prove the Nay Sayers wrong when he gets to the NFL.

Originally posted by 13isgr81
Sorry, but I want Rivers... He reads defenses as well as any QB in the college ranks, he's VERY accurate, and has good arm strength... I've also heard he watches an inordinant amount of film and prepares more than anyone on the team...
so someone other then myself actually sees his ability at the LOS to read defenses? i swear i thought i was the only one. i bring it up, and someone mentions he a weird release... it's like no one wants to talk about a guy who can pick apart defenses (like Marino i might add) with changes at the LOS.

Rivers is gonna be a great QB. he might be the best in the draft. You can argue Eli because of his family roots, or Ben because of his weak MAC confrence and great stats. Rivers played very good in the Ohio state game against a great defense. neither Ben nor Eli can say that had that type of game against a quality defense.

I would love to have Ben Roethlisberger, but I don't think it is realistic that we could get a pick high enough to get him.

Rivers but I'll prefer drafting WR and signing Brunell.

Roethlisberger is going to be a better pro. He has everything Rivers has with more arm and none of the quirky mechanics.

Weak MAC? Did you watch the MAC this year? That conference was anything but weak. Oh, you do know that Pennington and Leftwich came from "the weak MAC". You can say that he wont be a star because he plays weak opponents now. He does kill them by an average 25 ppg. That is an amazing stat.

Originally posted by Jaj
Roethlisberger is going to be a better pro. He has everything Rivers has with more arm and none of the quirky mechanics.

Better pro?I'm not sure..I would be more comfortable having Rivers be starting QB than Ben.

Rivers is the more NFL ready QB.You can't just pass by with physical talents in the NFL.If that were the case then Ryan Leaf will be hall of fame along with Akili Smith.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Jaj

Evey time someone talks about his "quirky mechanics" I feel compelled to remind that someone that Dan Marino's mechanics were supposed to be quirky, or bad, poor or whatever.

Originally posted by outtawack311
Weak MAC? Did you watch the MAC this year? That conference was anything but weak. Oh, you do know that Pennington and Leftwich came from "the weak MAC". You can say that he wont be a star because he plays weak opponents now. He does kill them by an average 25 ppg. That is an amazing stat.

MAC=weak

who cares who came from the MAC confrence? so what you're saying is draft any QB in the MAC and we're gonna hit gold? because if they come from the MAC they're gonna be good.

i'm just trying to show you what i mean. for a QB to be great, they need work ethic, attitude and heart. it doesn't matter what confrence you come from.

BR hasn't displayed anything great against any Great D. either has Eli Manning for that matter. PR has...

Originally posted by Blueprint_21

MAC=weak

who cares who came from the MAC confrence? so what you're saying is draft any QB in the MAC and we're gonna hit gold? because if they come from the MAC they're gonna be good.

i'm just trying to show you what i mean. for a QB to be great, they need work ethic, attitude and heart. it doesn't matter what confrence you come from.

BR hasn't displayed anything great against any Great D. either has Eli Manning for that matter. PR has...

Did you watch college football this year? There are many good MAC teams. Northern Illinois beat Maryland and Alabama, but lost 2 and didn't even get to play in a bowl game (what a disgrace). Toledo beat Pittsburgh, Bowling Green almost beat Ohio State and won a bowl game against a Big 10 team. Miami of Ohio played great football all year long. Marshall struggled, but they were good enough to beat Big 12 CHAMPION Kansas State.

The MAC is a good conference and there are many talented players that play in it. There are former MAC players that have done well in the NFL including Randy Moss and Chad Pennington.

Take whoever falls to us at our pick. Even if we get the 1st and 3rd for Ogun I don't want to see any trading up. In that scenario we could go QB/WR and then try to trade into the 2nd round for an offensive linemen.

Oh goddness we have to come up with some sort of wager for the people who love Rivers as to what type of career he'll have.

You are all blind if you think he's as talented as you make him out to be.

Mannin and Ben are in completely different stratuspheres than Rivers.

Steve McNair has horrible mechanics as well... The fact is.. He's amazingly accurate in however he delivers the ball.. I like what I hear from this cat..

Back
Top Bottom