Big Payday Near, Ja'wuan James Will See How Much Dolphins Value Him | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Big Payday Near, Ja'wuan James Will See How Much Dolphins Value Him

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
james.jpg

There might not be two closer Miami Dolphins players than left tackle Laremy Tunsil and right tackle Ja'Wuan James. After their season-ending loss at Buffalo on Dec. 30, the duo lingered in the locker room trying to tiptoe around the possibility that they had played their last game together.

James will be an unrestricted free agent in March, and he's headed toward a big payday. He's waiting to see how much the Dolphins value him.

http://www.espn.com/blog/afceast/po...an-james-will-see-how-much-dolphins-value-him

Offer him a fair deal. Top 5 RT contract considering the UDFA status and the rising cap.

That is how we should value him.

But my gut says that fair deal won't be enough to keep James. He may try to reset the RT market and honestly, he might be right, some team will bite.

Up to him if he wants to stay at that point.

Paying him a lot of money doesn't make him healthier.

I don't see us as big spenders on this one. Unlike a normal extension, there is a new HC in town. If we are devoted to a complete rebuild, that means only Pro Bowl caliber players would qualify to be extended from a previous regime.

I'm letting James test the market and set his own value. If it's a decent value, then I might make an offer. I'm not one for making holes, but at this juncture you have to be mindful of your strategy.

We need to recoup cap, spend frugal and build through the draft. There are a few players I prefer not to lose. He's not one.

I'd rather take his money and extend X.

He's an average right tackle and that's what I'd pay him, average right tackle money.

This team isn't winning any playoff games for the next couple years, they should make it a point to not overpay guys, especially guys who aren't elite.

Top 10 but not top 5 money is what he should get and throw in some games played incentives.

I think when you rate the contract to todays cap, in comparison to previous year contracts . . . . A top 5 deal probably equates to top 10 in 2019. I don’t like looking at a list of top paid guys and base a contract being made today to those that span over a set of years previously.

Ultimately I think the AAV will be higher but the guaranteed money can and will take a hit.

Say 4 years/42 million (10.5 million making him 2nd overall) but the guaranteed money checks in around 25%, instead of the 35 to 40 percent the top RTs have seen.

I think when you rate the contract to todays cap, in comparison to previous year contracts . . . . A top 5 deal probably equates to top 10 in 2019. I don’t like looking at a list of top paid guys and base a contract being made today to those that span over a set of years previously.

Ultimately I think the AAV will be higher but the guaranteed money can and will take a hit.

Say 4 years/42 million (10.5 million making him 2nd overall) but the guaranteed money checks in around 25%, instead of the 35 to 40 percent the top RTs have seen.

Yeah that makes sense since with the cap going up every year the top paid performers don't remain at the top for very long.

Here we go! Lemme guess, he wants to be paid like the top RT in the league and if we offer less he’s gonna be extremely insulted and run away crying? Sound about right?

Here we go! Lemme guess, he wants to be paid like the top RT in the league and if we offer less he’s gonna be extremely insulted and run away crying? Sound about right?

My guess is that he tries to get as much as he possibly can because that's the smart career decision. Every player should do that.

As much as I hate his inconsistency, I really can't advocate for opening up yet another gaping hole. I would cut the rest of our dead weight and then we will have plenty of cap space left to sign James and Howard this offseason. Get our bookends set for the next 3-5 yrs, and draft/sign an above avg C to man the middle. On top of that, someone mentioned Tua (I think it was Tua) is a lefty, and the right side then becomes the blind side blocker and is of even more importance.

My guess is that he tries to get as much as he possibly can because that's the smart career decision. Every player should do that.
Yeah but they shouldn’t get so upset when not offered the biggest contract in history like every player seems to get now.

Offer him a fair deal. Top 5 RT contract considering the UDFA status and the rising cap.

That is how we should value him.

But my gut says that fair deal won't be enough to keep James. He may try to reset the RT market and honestly, he might be right, some team will bite.

Up to him if he wants to stay at that point.
I agree that what the team feels is a fair offer might not be enough for what James wants. I believe he'll want over 11mill per year and since we're rebuilding you have to ask yourself, is he really worth that type of money? I think he's a good RT but not a great RT but I don't get to make the decisions.

Back
Top Bottom