Big Payday Near, Ja'wuan James Will See How Much Dolphins Value Him | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Big Payday Near, Ja'wuan James Will See How Much Dolphins Value Him

Dont understand? They CHOSE a career in football, knew the risks. No average joe gets guaranteed money at their job. What happens if YOU get layed off today?

Plus, they went to college, right? Use your degree and make $80,000 at a desk all week and then realize that 5 million a year without guarantees, for 16 hours of football, is far better option.

This is ignorant on so many levels. Where to start?

The compensation is part of the deal, part of the reason they CHOSE to play football. What kind of idiot would sacrifice their body like that without significant compensation?

16 hours of football? Are you trolling?

I believe letting James walk is part of “the pain” we’ve been warned of.

I thought he was overvalued on here. Looks like he's being valued about right. He isn't one of the top RTs in football and should be paid accordingly. $7-8 mil is as much as he's worth, being generous. Just don't mess up the comp pick when some other team over pays for mediocre.

The article could just as fairly be titled "Miami Dolphins will see how much Jawuan values them"

The truth is, players take extensions versus testing the open market all the time. Some guys value continuity, the coaching staff, their teammates....some don't.

It's not right or wrong either way, and it won't make or break our team.

Think you can keep James at 12-per or less. Unless you have a better, or at least equal-ish, option, you pay him that, because OT's don't grow on trees like RB's and WR's.

But, letting him walk would make tanking easier - if that's the plan. Feel bad for whatever QB they sacrifice in that situation, though.

Think you can keep James at 12-per or less. Unless you have a better, or at least equal-ish, option, you pay him that, because OT's don't grow on trees like RB's and WR's.

But, letting him walk would make tanking easier - if that's the plan. Feel bad for whatever QB they sacrifice in that situation, though.

$12 mil per? Good gawd man. He's the best RT in football, in your opinion? Worthy of resetting the market?

I humbly disagree.

$12 mil per? Good gawd man. He's the best RT in football, in your opinion? Worthy of resetting the market?

I humbly disagree.

Agreed. Even if he was consistently healthy which is far from the case, I still don't think he's anywhere close to being the best RT in football. Top 5 even might be a stretch. With the injuries factored in I'd rather just take the comp pick to set up the rebuild.

My test is essentially will the player still be useful when the Dolphins are ready to compete again. I think James fits that. I'd re-sign him.

We also need to get an athletic backup swing tackle.

I humbly disagree.

Yea its a matter of being a solid OL, with a rising cap, in a market that won’t have many OL better than him hitting it.

Not coveted enough to be franchise tagged.

I think 12 is too high, but 10-11 would not surprise me at all, and I pretty much expect it.

But like I said, it could look nasty on the surface, the big thing will be the guaranteed money in the end.

And for Juwan’s sake, he could be justified in taking 4/32 with $15 million guaranteed . . . .over 4/42 with $10 million guaranteed.

He obviously would be a welcome return . . . .but this ain’t Howard or Tunsil . . .if he leaves for greener pastures I don’t believe anybody will shed a tear.

I humbly disagree.

I think it would be less, but 7-8 would be remarkably cheap. Albert Wilson got 8-per as an unproven WR. Starting-caliber OT's are much harder to find and much more important to team success. If Miami really has no interest in Murray, and they're all in on the 2020 class, I think you could justify letting him walk as part of the tank job, but they had better not draft his replacement at 13.

I think it would be less, but 7-8 would be remarkably cheap. Albert Wilson got 8-per as an unproven WR. Starting-caliber OT's are much harder to find and much more important to team success. If Miami really has no interest in Murray, and they're all in on the 2020 class, I think you could justify letting him walk as part of the tank job, but they had better not draft his replacement at 13.

I get what you and KDawg are saying and the logic in wanting him to re-sign but I don't see a player who even belongs on the list of highest paid RTs ... growing salary cap and all. There are dreadful games on his resumé every year. It wouldn't be as bad as overpaying for Branch when the play didn't warrant it ... as James has his moments and is more consistent ... but it's not far off, given the injury history.

I think a lot of it boils down to people overvaluing James due to their fear of a team that drafts olinemen like the Dolphins being able to replace him.

Davis was really good at RT filling in for him the season prior. And not awesome at G last year. Just sayin.

Last edited:
I get what you and KDawg are saying and the logic in wanting him to re-sign but I don't see a player who even belongs on the list of highest paid RTs ... growing salary cap and all. There are dreadful games on his resumé every year. It wouldn't be as bad as overpaying for Branch when the play didn't warrant it as James has his moments and is more consistent ... but it's not far off, given the injury history.

I think a lot of it boils down to people overvaluing James due to their fear of a team that drafts olinemen like the Dolphins being able to replace him.

Davis was really good at RT filling in for him the season prior. And not awesome at G last year. Just sayin.
these echo my exact feelings on James also

I see no way he’s gonna sign for 25 percent guaranteed regardless of what the years and overall money is.

If he goes 4 and 40 or 4 and 48 I just don’t see $10 or $12 mil being a realistic guaranteed number as a pending free agent

Back
Top Bottom