Big Payday Near, Ja'wuan James Will See How Much Dolphins Value Him | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Big Payday Near, Ja'wuan James Will See How Much Dolphins Value Him

For the purposes of a functioning offense, James is closer to Lane Johnson than he is an inexpensive replacement. Even if the goal is to draft a QB in 2020, you better have a solid OL at that time, and your chances of landing a starting RT in RD 2 are relatively low. Put it this way, James (today) is better than Braden Smith, who was good enough to start and hold his own on one of the best OL's in the NFL.

If the plan is QB in 2020, you can keep James and Tunsil and draft Ford or Taylor as a RG with OT versatility (position each played in college), and the OL will have core pieces in place for the QB you draft in 2020. After QB, OL is literally the last group you want to cheap. I mentioned it in another thread, but thinking you can cheap the OL because the Patriots have is like thinking you can cheap CB because the Seahawks did with the LOB. You probably won't be able to replicate their success, and if you fail to do so, your team won't be competitive.

Some people sound as if we need to pay James whatever he wants or else, we won't make the playoffs........oh wait.......we're not gonna make the playoffs anyway. Here's how I feel. I don't think he's a bad RT but he's not a great RT and he wants to be pay like a great RT or more really. But never mind the money for a second here. The guy has missed about 20 games since he was drafted and I don't believe we should count on him to stay healthy. Some people will say it was just a fluke and that the injuries when he missed 8 games in two different seasons were unrelated. Well, so he's missed games for several different reasons then. How can that be a good thing? If we over pay for him then we'll know that nothing has really change with our FO. Reward ok players that miss games often with big contracts.

whats the thought on tyus Jackson I guess his name is the small school ap st maybe tackle? he's got good feet and hes a load. built like a fire hydrant. might be kicked inside. his shoulders look huge

also the k state kid gonna kick inside probably?

whats the thought on tyus Jackson I guess his name is the small school ap st maybe tackle? he's got good feet and hes a load. built like a fire hydrant. might be kicked inside. his shoulders look huge

Yes, looks the build. I believe he played all 3 positions in college, but he seems like a natural guard. Has a bit of nastiness about him as well. THe NC State Center looks the part of an NFL center, ut may not make it to our 2nd round pick.

Again . . . .there is a forgotten difference between what someone might value a player . . . .and what that player is worth.

Lets say Juwan landed a 5/55 contract in 2019 . . . . . .close to Lane Johnson’s 5/56 from 2016.

2016 salary cap was $155m
2019 salary cap will be around $190m

That is 35 million more for teams to use today

Lane Johnson signed an extension with 1 rookie year and a 5th year option left . . . .he took a early money guarantee and the Eagles signed him at an extended discount. His earning potential by staying healthy and playing a top level probably would of been around $15 million per year if he waited until 2018 and hit the open market.

Juwan is entering the market as a UDFA and arguably the best OL in this FA class. That is a major difference from when Lane Johnson signed his deal.

The best comparison is Ricky Wagner (#2 paid RT). He also entered the market as a UDFA and resigned for 5/47.5 . . . .9.5 million AAV.

This was back in 2017 tho . . . .when the cap was $167m . . .23 million less than todays cap.

So while I am not sure what James will get . . . .I think anybody putting that number below 9.5 AAV is lowballing Juwan.

And if you don’t want to pay him, that is fine . . . .but this team has plenty of fish to fry in the draft and if you are expecting to not have a severe drop off at RT, you really can’t afford to lose a solid player at RT just to replace him in the draft.

There are no quality discounts in FA anymore . . . .the rising cap allows teams to resign their own.

You can’t complain about Juwan and his contract and then get mad at the organization for starting Jessie Davis at RT for 16 games and being a disaster.

You have a quality RT . . . . You need to do your best to pay him . . . .and honestly, anything around the $11m AAV mark is probably fair value.

Miami needs to offer him fair value.

Id offer him 6+1 mil per year for 5 years. The injury history is enough a concern to let him walk, but I'd offer him a 7 mil per yr long term deal, five years. Whatever Pouncey had, something similar.
Otherwise, we can get a guy in free agency or draft.

Yes, looks the build. I believe he played all 3 positions in college, but he seems like a natural guard. Has a bit of nastiness about him as well. THe NC State Center looks the part of an NFL center, ut may not make it to our 2nd round pick.

I think the k state kid might be a center. the nc state kid is a real athlete but lacks anchor and power. still I think he might make a quality pivot in time. eric McCoy has the lower half for anchor I love and pulls very well not a great athlete but he can anchor. I like his tape a lot. did very well in one on ones. I haven't seen the k state kid or the nc state kid though just going off senior bowl observations etc I made.

and that tyus kid from app state has good feet for his size might make a downhill scheme right tackle or kick inside option.

interior o line was probably the most impressive thing I saw at the senior bowl. thought I saw some quality talent

Some people sound as if we need to pay James whatever he wants or else, we won't make the playoffs........oh wait.......we're not gonna make the playoffs anyway. Here's how I feel. I don't think he's a bad RT but he's not a great RT and he wants to be pay like a great RT or more really. But never mind the money for a second here. The guy has missed about 20 games since he was drafted and I don't believe we should count on him to stay healthy. Some people will say it was just a fluke and that the injuries when he missed 8 games in two different seasons were unrelated. Well, so he's missed games for several different reasons then. How can that be a good thing? If we over pay for him then we'll know that nothing has really change with our FO. Reward ok players that miss games often with big contracts.

Its less about wanting to be paid like a great RT and more about him getting paid fair market value in 2019. . . .even if that places him near the top of the highest paid RT list.

If he wanted to be paid like a great RT, he would hand Miami the list of LTs and point at the top of the list . . . .similar to what Landry did when declining proper fair value for a slot WR and wanting top bonafide #1 WR money.

wagner played a lot better or more consistent than james going into his contract with Detroit. he balled out in Baltimore. if james is the top tackle on the market well top 5 money may well happen. I haven't looked to see whats out there as potential tackle free agents

dillards a nice talent but he wasn't anywhere near as clean as Daniel jeremiah was making him out to be all week pretty much. looks left tackle only to me but I think jeremiahs a little too gaga about the player

Truth is . . . .this should of been done last year. But of course Tannenbaum was in charge and he has no clue how to manage a cap/roster.

Miami committed to a $9.3 million fully guaranteed 5th year option . . . .you have him coming off an injury . . . .why not roll that into some sort of 5/50 deal where the guaranteed money is nearly set except for the signing bonus and you likely could of structured it very team friendly. The hard work was already done . . . .the AAV and years would of been window dressing.

But I am sure we lowballed him and asked him to play it out without much foresight.

Can only hope Grier is better at this than MT.

I think the k state kid might be a center. the nc state kid is a real athlete but lacks anchor and power. still I think he might make a quality pivot in time. eric McCoy has the lower half for anchor I love and pulls very well not a great athlete but he can anchor. I like his tape a lot. did very well in one on ones. I haven't seen the k state kid or the nc state kid though just going off senior bowl observations etc I made.

and that tyus kid from app state has good feet for his size might make a downhill scheme right tackle or kick inside option.

interior o line was probably the most impressive thing I saw at the senior bowl. thought I saw some quality talent

The NC State is a converted TE...interesting move all the way inside, but the athlete is clearly there.

Jenkins is another option at center as well the A&M kid you mentioned. The BD kid, Linstrom looked good at guard as well.

While the draft doesn't have a Nelson level Guard, I think there is a good number of solid interior guys that should be able to start year one and be an upgrade over what we have trotted out the last 5 or so years.

I think James is a needed sign, it should be easy to do now when we should have the cap space to make it work down the road.

I haven't seen the Tyus kid.

Jenkins looks like a power player to me I think he can struggle vs quickness. but hes another that can anchor.

Assuming the Senior Bowl measurements are correct (we'll see), Risner is a little shorter than ideal for an OT (just under 6'5), but his arms are long enough 34"+. He'll be 24 in July, though.

Back
Top Bottom