biggest bonehead coaching move | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

biggest bonehead coaching move

Well if your goal was to be 1-8 after the game then that was a great call. Maybe he is playing for a good draft postion. If he was playing to get a win then he should of kicked the point. I dont know if you watched the game at all but SD defensive line owned KC's O line right there at the goal line. they barely made it in and it took mutiple attempts to do it. They got lucky they were able to score so to me you got better odds with the coin flip going your way and getting into FG range. hindsight is 20/20, but even if he would of got in I would not of liked his decesion of going for it.

So a team that was getting "owned" by another teams defense has a better chance of sustaining a drive? To me it's easier to get 2 yards than it is to get 50 or how many they'd need to get into fg range. Herm went for it. His team is 1-7 I liked the move. If his team was in contention than obviously you don't do it.

I thought it was a really bad call on shahans part too. He just got lucky that he got it in there. In his defense though his offense was hot that game and his defense was flat same as SD. He had better odds then KC did to convert IMO. But I said it then and I still say Shahan disrespected his defense and made a bad call and got a lucky win out of it.

If Denver's defense wants respect maybe they should try to stop an opposing offense.

So a team that was getting "owned" by another teams defense has a better chance of sustaining a drive? To me it's easier to get 2 yards than it is to get 50 or how many they'd need to get into fg range. Herm went for it. His team is 1-7 I liked the move. If his team was in contention than obviously you don't do it.

ok you would go for it and liked the call. I would not and did not like the call. Its somewhat of a uselesss debate because we only know that they failed going for it but we dont know what would of happened if they choose to kick it. That decision may not of gotten them a win either. My question to you is this, why does it matter if your contention or not? I mean even if your in last place as a fan dont you expect your team to play to win and walk off the field being respected by your opponets. I understand that you think he made a decent call and you understand that I dont. He showed his players disrespect by going for it and not letting them to continue to battle it out to the end. He went all in with his chips on one play. KC played SD tough all day long, thats how they got there to that decision. To me, if was there coach, kick the point. Then I turn to my team and praise them all for tieing up. Then you tell them now its time for you guys to show me which ones of you are winners and which ones of you are losers, this next quarter may be the determining factor of who is and who is not being cut. Now get out on the field, show your mettle, and bring your fans home an overdue victory.

Plain and simple you put the opprotunity to win or lose on your players. Before the coin toss but after the kick to get you to that point. Even if noone on that plane ride home says it, the defense is thinking this to themselves, Damn it offense you lost a game that we kept you in. If Herm would of kicked the point it would of been a team win or loss. ooops sorry i drifted from my question.

I guess I just understand football well enough or something I just think that was one of the worst calls I have ever seen in my entire life. Well thats a bit of an overstatement but its on the top 100 list. Im not disrespecting your opinion, I just completly dont see anything good from what shahan did or KC I think they were both ballsy moves but dumb.

Im going to stop it here but I'll you what I could literally type about how wrong I think he was to go for it for another hour or more.

ok you would go for it and liked the call. I would not and did not like the call. Its somewhat of a uselesss debate because we only know that they failed going for it but we dont know what would of happened if they choose to kick it. That decision may not of gotten them a win either. My question to you is this, why does it matter if your contention or not? I mean even if your in last place as a fan dont you expect your team to play to win and walk off the field being respected by your opponets. I understand that you think he made a decent call and you understand that I dont. He showed his players disrespect by going for it and not letting them to continue to battle it out to the end. He went all in with his chips on one play. KC played SD tough all day long, thats how they got there to that decision. To me, if was there coach, kick the point. Then I turn to my team and praise them all for tieing up. Then you tell them now its time for you guys to show me which ones of you are winners and which ones of you are losers, this next quarter may be the determining factor of who is and who is not being cut. Now get out on the field, show your mettle, and bring your fans home an overdue victory.

Plain and simple you put the opprotunity to win or lose on your players. Before the coin toss but after the kick to get you to that point. Even if noone on that plane ride home says it, the defense is thinking this to themselves, Damn it offense you lost a game that we kept you in. If Herm would of kicked the point it would of been a team win or loss. ooops sorry i drifted from my question.

I guess I just understand football well enough or something I just think that was one of the worst calls I have ever seen in my entire life. Well thats a bit of an overstatement but its on the top 100 list. Im not disrespecting your opinion, I just completly dont see anything good from what shahan did or KC I think they were both ballsy moves but dumb.

Im going to stop it here but I'll you what I could literally type about how wrong I think he was to go for it for another hour or more.

"You play to win the game." I don't think you play to prolong the game. KC is an inferior team to just about everybody not names the Lions. They would rather have to get 2 yards than 50. If they even get the opportunity to get 50.

Most coaches have no balls because they're going to get killed by the media. For instance whenever I see a team that's past mid-field in a 4th and less than 3 and punt I cringe. The stats say the team should go for it. Yet coaches don't have the balls because they'll be killed.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrookpreview/070904

I don't know nor do I care what players think after a victory or a defeat. If they want to blame the coaches it doesn't matter to me. If you're using a potential short 5 minute time-frame to determine whose being cut and whose not I think that coach wouldn't be successful. Giving players an ultimatum?

If KC is in contention they kick the point. Though because I think they're an inferior team playing on the road they go for the win. KC isn't playing to get into the playoffs they're probably evaluating young talent so they may not even have the cliche "players that give you the best chance to win on the field."

One of the best football games i've ever viewed was won by a coach going for a 2 pt conversion rather than kicking it. His team was exhausted from battling and thought they had a better chance on one play rather than take it to another OT where he was guranteed to get the ball.

I'm just speculating but I bet Herm asked his players before the drive what they'd want to do.

herm edwards did the right thing i would of went for the 2 point conversion also what do you have to lose the team record was already bad but singletary's decision was a bad one does anyone else notice how Shauin Hill if there was anyone who did bad decisions look at mike tomlin of the steelers

Edwards is more understandable after I looked at it more. They have nothing to lose, and what's one more loss?

I have no clue what the Niners were up to though.

Herm is a Crapy coach he takes Playoff team and make them suck even worse

The Chiefs play in one of the worst divisions in recent memory and are 1-8. They've got a 3rd string Qb playing and their star RB is too busy having run-ins with the law. Calling the Chiefs a playoff team is ridiculous. The Broncos or Chargers will win that division and neither are any good.

Edwards is more understandable after I looked at it more. They have nothing to lose, and what's one more loss?

I have no clue what the Niners were up to though.

Just listening to Singletary I think he'll never be a good head coach. I don't think players respect a guy who doesn't take the blame. He can point the finger at Vernon Davis and Martz but he's ultimately the guy in charge of what's done on the field.

He did a nice job at throwing Martz under the bus, that's for sure. Martz then threw the refs under said bus.

Whole lot of throwing under the bus going on in SF. What a screwy organization.

Biggest Bonehead move: Coach Wanny never drafting me, or at least taking me in free agency out of C-State as QB.... i was prime and brought back-to-back HHFL Championships throughout my after years. but oh-well.... GO MIAMI!!!!!!!

wow this week we had 2 pathetic coaching calls. maybe the worst so far this year. which one is worse. herm edwards decision to go for 2 instead of a tie for ot. or, singletarys decision to run with 2 seconds left.

i think the chiefs had the momentum the whole game and ot was the way to go.

but i choose singletarys decision not to go with frank gore, the back who has gotten it done all year, instead runs the backup rb. also the niners had a mobile qb and had been passing well on that drive. go figure. singletary will not last long as head coach.

Singletary is the head coach. Mike Martz is the OC and calls the plays.

Back
Top Bottom