Biggest Draft Bust QB's of all time | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Biggest Draft Bust QB's of all time

Wow , Heath Shuler sucked!!! Is it way too early to say Alex Smith??

I think you mean...

bigbillshater said:
it would have to be in 83 that would be Toni Ieson of the jets

The Jets drafted Ken O'Brien in 1983. He wasn't great, but he was better than Eason (Pats). Consider...
Jack Thompson #3 overall Cinn 79
Rich Campbell #6 overall Pack 81
Art Schlichter #4 overall Colts 82
Kelly Stouffer #6 Cards 87
Rick Mirer #2 Seahawks 93
Heath Shuler #3 Skins 94
and everybody's favorite...
Ryan Leaf #2 Bolts 98

Guy Benjamin drafted by Miami in 1978 with their first pick (2nd rounder, didn't have a first that year). Not really a very high pick but was a Dolphins pick. He was supposed to be the eventual replacement for Bob Griese. Probably a good thing he didn't work out (might not have drafted Marino 5 years later if he had).

I just thought of another great one. Dan Mcgwire drafted by the Seattle Seahawks in the first round in 1991. He is Mark Mcgwire's brother. Maybe Mark should have shared some of his juice.

Saban in '06 said:
David Klinger....wow Cincy drafted some crap before they lucked out with Palmer!!!

I remember watching that draft. The Phins were picking right after the Bungles. It was a GIVEN at that time they were going to take Troy Vincent whom I really wanted the Phins to draft.

I was jumping up and down when the Bungles announced their pick.

Talk about a guy who was a system Q.B.

Ryan Leaf is the biggest ever. There were a LOT of people that liked Leaf better than Manning.

I think in 3 years we can add Alex Smith to the list. Since before the draft I thought he wouldn't amount to much

tim couch wasn't that bad compared to some of the others. he has a career completion percentage of 65% i believe...ryan leaf was terrible, but he had injury issues and of course, off-the-field stuff. here's my top 3, in no order:

heath shuler
akili smith
andre ware

shuler was supposed to redefine the quarterback position because of his impressive athletic ability. instead, a QB they drafted in the 7th round that same year ended up having a much better career. everyone's favorite, gus frerotte. ;) 29 career games, 49.2% for his career, 15/33 TD-INT ratio. and despite being labeled a dual-threat, he only has 198 yards rushing for his career on 67 attempts (3.0 avg).

akili smith had one good season at oregon under jeff tedford (same with kyle boller), and somehow became a top 3 pick of the draft. the bengals actually turned down mike ditka's 10 pick trade offer to get ricky williams, because they were in love with smith apparently. :lol: i'm sure they're regretting that one. he only started 17 games in his career for cincinnati.

andre ware was supposed to be a perfect fit for detroit's run and shoot offense, as he ran the same thing at houston to great success. but it just wasn't meant to be i guess. 4 seasons in the NFL, 14 games, 161 passing attempts (only 11 per game).

i'd say based on pure expectations and the resultant play, shuler and ware have to be the tops on the list.

and to answer this question when asked a year from today, vince young. ;)

Hahahah....Ok, I will wait a little longer to add Alex Smith....but it's not just that he had a bad year...he was god awful...not even a TD until his very last game. But a rookie QB should get at least a one year pass I guess.

Back
Top Bottom