Biggest Surprise of the Season? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Biggest Surprise of the Season?

Tua playing all 16 games while Joe Burrow and Herbert got shut down.
Unreal how according to the media our 'injury prone' QB has remained virtually injury free and the rest of the team are now either on IR, out for the season or being dinged and missed games throughout the season.
Happy for Tua that he's been able to play a season after what he's been through and the long list of QBs that have gone for the season.

Biggest surprise for me, having the AFC East in the palm of the hand, at season's start everyone had Buffalo penciled in as the AFC Champs and Super Bowl favorites with KC from the AFC.

Did Miami slip down the stretch, yup sure did, a win at Tennessee would have been huge. Playing Baltimore better would have been huge. Beating Buffalo goes without saying. But overall, people had Miami a wild card and to have the playoff's locked in with a big win against Dallas on Christmas Eve and control your destiny was nice and surprising to me.

the dolphins are going to have to be tight with their money in the offseason….in terms of the offensive line, they can save money and simply pencil in Robert Jones at a starting spot.

I still sometimes call them the St. Louis Rams, San Diego Chargers, and Oakland Raiders too
I hear ya bro, St. Louis will always be the Cardinals for me though, still fluck that one up from time to time. Looking forward to the day that I am referring to the London Jaguars as "Jacksonville"

For me, this is an easy choice. Clearly the play of the offensive line. At one point, Miami had four backups playing and the line was still competing. These guys have really kept the season alive for the Dolphins, although an argument could be made that all those injuries there was a big reason the team struggled against better teams. Tua was certainly getting the ball out quickly.

Anyway, it begs the question. Are any of these "backups" potential starters? Smith and Jones would be the two that I think have the best shot. With all the needs in the offseason, it would be nice to have actually found a starter among this group on the line.

Honorable mention for me would be the rookie season of Achane. I expected him to be good, but he's been an absolute big-play machine averaging almost 8 yards a carry! You almost expect him to gash the defense for 20 yards on virtually every carry. Now start getting him the ball via the pass more in the open field.
The o-line being "adequate" with so many injuries was a big surprise. That said, while some of those guys are keepers, I'd still put a lot of emphasis on building a stronger and healthier (read as no more injury prone players... bye bye Armstead) line for next year.

I don't watch college football, so I never knew anything about Achane. However, he was a nice surprise! He needs to get the ball more.

The o-line being "adequate" with so many injuries was a big surprise. That said, while some of those guys are keepers, I'd still put a lot of emphasis on building a stronger and healthier (read as no more injury prone players... bye bye Armstead) line for next year.

I don't watch college football, so I never knew anything about Achane. However, he was a nice surprise! He needs to get the ball more.
Obviously, you want to improve everywhere. It would be nice, though, if Miami could start developing some mid to late rounders on the offensive line. Maybe this staff can do that? Who do you think can step up from backup to starter?

it's starting to get old that every single time a play doesn’t work people think it was just a bad call......I never see anybody say it was bad execution on the players part......it's always "McDaniel called a bad play"..........it seems to me if Mike would call only "good" plays then we'd score a TD on every single possession .....lol

for real tho, mike has stuff that he needs to work on but at some point you need to hold the players accountable too

For me, this is an easy choice. Clearly the play of the offensive line. At one point, Miami had four backups playing and the line was still competing. These guys have really kept the season alive for the Dolphins, although an argument could be made that all those injuries there was a big reason the team struggled against better teams. Tua was certainly getting the ball out quickly.

Anyway, it begs the question. Are any of these "backups" potential starters? Smith and Jones would be the two that I think have the best shot. With all the needs in the offseason, it would be nice to have actually found a starter among this group on the line.

Honorable mention for me would be the rookie season of Achane. I expected him to be good, but he's been an absolute big-play machine averaging almost 8 yards a carry! You almost expect him to gash the defense for 20 yards on virtually every carry. Now start getting him the ball via the pass more in the open field.
My first thought was also Oline.

Obviously, you want to improve everywhere. It would be nice, though, if Miami could start developing some mid to late rounders on the offensive line. Maybe this staff can do that? Who do you think can step up from backup to starter?
Hard to say who's starting material. Ideally, some of these guys would remain back-ups with better linemen starting. It always bothered me that in recent history, Miami continually has had o-line issues, even with multiple 1st round picks on the o-line, while other teams can find decent guys in the mid to late rounds. I've always thought that this was a combination of poor o-line talent evaluation, and ineffective blocking schemes making decent guys look bad.

it's starting to get old that every single time a play doesn’t work people think it was just a bad call......I never see anybody say it was bad execution on the players part......it's always "McDaniel called a bad play"..........it seems to me if Mike would call only "good" plays then we'd score a TD on every single possession .....lol

for real tho, mike has stuff that he needs to work on but at some point you need to hold the players accountable too
Agree. Too many undisciplined type penalties. I love Chubb, but that penalty in the Tennessee game gave them life. Those are the types of penalties winning teams just can't have. And down the stretch what happened to making a tackle? The Dolphins were terrible in that regard against Baltimore and had a few costly missed tackles against Buffalo (the Allen 15-yard run on third and 13).

McDaniel is off to a great start, two years, two trips to the playoffs. There is room for improvement and I'm not sure why he is slow to adjust sometimes.

Overall, the oline being as good as it has been despite the injuries was definitely impressive.

On an individual note, Tua's health was good...which goes back to the oline ...and also the offense was geared towards being quicker to kind of offset any break downs by the oline....so seeing it all compliment itself was great.

Jackson was a huge surprise. I really hope he continues to be hungry and has this type of play.

Chubb...I'm still not giving up a first...but I was close to going that way...if he comes back like before, and repeats the same sack count or more, then I think he was worth it...essentially what I mean is that I'd want consistency as time goes on...(in the end it's not like Grier cares about my opinion anyway) 😂

Achane was a great surprise. I look forward to his development.

Elliot coming on as a safety and taking control of his position was nice to see.

Ingold was not a surprise but the dude is great at what he does and deserves that contract. This offense absolutely needs him.

Back
Top Bottom