Bill Barnwell: Trading deadline possibilities | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Barnwell: Trading deadline possibilities

He's not a Philbin guy...where do you get that? He was drafted in 2009, well before Philbin got here. He was made the starter because we had no one else. I wanted him to stick around because he was the only WR we had that had excellent chemistry with Tannehill but that's no longer the case. Tannehill has chemistry with the other receivers and Hartline's limitations in this offense is hurting the overall production. Hartline is the 4th leading receivers on this team now...Wallace, Landry and Clay are in front of him and he only has 2 more catches than Miller. His 10.3 ypc average is also tied for 7th on the team.

I'm pretty sure Hickey gets rid of Hartline and by evidence of Hickey's moves on the practice squad he wants someone with size and a large catch radius. Hartline's our tallest receiver and he plays like our smallest.

You misunderstood what I meant by a Philbin guy. Not sure why you thought I meant Philbin drafted him. I meant that he's a high character guy who plays the game the right way and he's always where he's supposed to be on the field. That's the type of guy that a micro manager like Philbin likes.

No doubt we're gonna have to do something. If Gibson doesn't regain his health then I'd assume he's gone, although usually guys are back to 100% after a full year removed from ACL surgery so I'd expect he'll be good in 2015.

Gibson was signed to a 2yrs deal, wasn't he ?

Gibson was signed to a 2yrs deal, wasn't he ?

3 years and roughly 10 million. He has a cap hit of 4.3 million next year with 1 million in dead money. I would expect that unless he returns to his TD making form of last year, there's little chance he'll be back with that cap #.

Then again Hartline is even bigger as his is over 7 each of the next 3 years and there's no dead money if we release or trade him.

Going by the #'s alone we can clear over 10 million in cap space by cutting both guys next year. Which means we need Matthews to take a step forward to prove that he, Wallace and Landry can be our top 3 next year and going forward. Would probably mean drafting another WR somewhat high next year though.

What is this guy talking about? He projects Wallace to have 7 TDs over 16 games? What kind of math is this? He has 5 TDs now in less than half the season. Moron.

I was thinking the same thing.

You misunderstood what I meant by a Philbin guy. Not sure why you thought I meant Philbin drafted him. I meant that he's a high character guy who plays the game the right way and he's always where he's supposed to be on the field. That's the type of guy that a micro manager like Philbin likes.

The type of guy a micromanager wants is a guy that makes plays and does something with the ball after he catches it. That's not Hartline...therefor not a Philbin guy. How's my conjecture?

The type of guy a micromanager wants is a guy that makes plays and does something with the ball after he catches it. That's not Hartline...therefor not a Philbin guy. How's my conjecture?

That makes no sense. What would micro managing and making plays after the catch have anything to do with one another? Philbin (as a micro manager) wants guys who will do exactly as they're coached, be in the right place at the right time, have the right form and technique, etc. Sure he may want WRs who get YAC but to think that he'd cut Hartline because of that when he does everything else well is silly.

If there's any reason behind Hartline getting cut it would be due to his cap hit.

This is like the kind of nonsense I'd expect to hear on WFAN from New York.

"Yeah, whaddya think of the Packers tradin us Rodgers and a draft pick for Geno. I gotta tink they'd jump at that deal."

That makes no sense. What would micro managing and making plays after the catch have anything to do with one another? Philbin (as a micro manager) wants guys who will do exactly as they're coached, be in the right place at the right time, have the right form and technique, etc. Sure he may want WRs who get YAC but to think that he'd cut Hartline because of that when he does everything else well is silly.

If there's any reason behind Hartline getting cut it would be due to his cap hit.
Tell me what coach, micromanager or otherwise, doesn't want a player who's supposed to be at the right spot at the right time? I guess that makes Peyton Manning the supreme micromanager of all QBs cause he tells his receivers he needs to know they're going to be at a certain spot at the right time...he needs to be able to trust them.

You're hung up on this micromanager thing...like it's the worst thing in the world...we can see you're a Philbin hater and you're reaching for something, anything, to make sure Philbin is seen in a bad light here. That's fine...Philbin doesn't need your help he's done plenty to question...which gets magnified over what he's done right...but Philbin also wants to win and if he can upgrade the WR position with a Randall Cobb/Jordy Nelson type WR over Hartline you better believe he'd do it...micromanaging all the way.

I wonder how Hickey will go about these sort of transitions. Does he try to deal them aggressively for picks or players, find replacements first and then cut bait, or simply release and wait and see who can fill the void?

If people complain about no deep throws now, what the hell would happen if their only deep threat was traded or released?

Funny in that Gibson is probably our best red zone WR and Hartline is easily our most consistent route runner with arguably the best hands. I don't want them on notice at all. I want them healthy and contributing along with the other guys. That type of depth and flexibility can make our receiving group absolutely deadly.

While I agree with you, you can't ignore the fact that neither of them have really done anything this season. Especially compared to Wallace, Landry, and Clay.

Tell me what coach, micromanager or otherwise, doesn't want a player who's supposed to be at the right spot at the right time? I guess that makes Peyton Manning the supreme micromanager of all QBs cause he tells his receivers he needs to know they're going to be at a certain spot at the right time...he needs to be able to trust them.

You're hung up on this micromanager thing...like it's the worst thing in the world...we can see you're a Philbin hater and you're reaching for something, anything, to make sure Philbin is seen in a bad light here. That's fine...Philbin doesn't need your help he's done plenty to question...which gets magnified over what he's done right...but Philbin also wants to win and if he can upgrade the WR position with a Randall Cobb/Jordy Nelson type WR over Hartline you better believe he'd do it...micromanaging all the way.

I would guess that Manning may be the biggest micromanager of all QBs so you're probably right there.

If Hartline had any flaws in his game that I would think are important to Philbin then I'd say sure that's a valid reason not to expect him back. But Philbin seems to love the guy so I don't see any chance he'd allow him to be cut outside of the salary cap #'s that he'll carry the next 3 years. And that's a legit reason to cut him. But YAC isn't even remotely a reason to cut him. It's a good reason to move him into the slot but not to cut him.

While I agree with you, you can't ignore the fact that neither of them have really done anything this season. Especially compared to Wallace, Landry, and Clay.

Gibson certainly hasn't because he's clearly still injured and we've got Landry and Matthews who are very similar types of receivers, who cost a lot less and are completely healthy.

But I don't agree that Hartline hasn't done anything this year.

Hartline - 19 catches on 31 targets with a 10.3 ypc average
Clay - 21 catches on 32 targets with a 9.7 ypc average
Landry - 22 catches on 30 targets with a 10.5 ypc average
Wallace - 30 catches on 52 targets with a 12.0 ypc average

The glaring difference is where Landry runs away with YAC yardage. He should absolutely be the starting outside WR opposite of Wallace. I would move Hartline into the slot and see how he does there. He may not have the tools to succeed there, but at least we'll know for sure and we can cut him knowing that we gave him a shot in the slot.

YAC average per reception

Hartline - 3.0
Clay - 4.0
Landry - 6.0
Wallace - 4.1

Back
Top Bottom