Bill Lazor on Ryan Tannehill | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Lazor on Ryan Tannehill

D0lphan72

4/23/2020
Club Member
Reaction score
DAVIE, Fla. -- New Miami Dolphins offensive coordinator Bill Lazor did wonders with the Philadelphia Eagles last season. As Philadelphia’s quarterbacks coach, Lazor helped develop Nick Foles from a previously unknown quarterback into a Pro Bowler in Foles' second season.

So is it also safe to assume Lazor will easily take Miami third-year quarterback Ryan Tannehill's game to the next level in 2014? Not so fast, according to Lazor.

AP Photo/Steve Nesius
Bill Lazor helped guide Nick Foles to a Pro Bowl season in 2013. Can he do the same with Ryan Tannehill?“If it was one key, it would be easy and we could bottle it and sell it, right?” Lazor explained. “Each guy is different. I think that is important.”

Lazor is one of the Dolphins’ most important additions and aims to jump-start the offense. Miami finished No. 27 in total offense and became predictable under former offensive coordinator Mike Sherman. It also stunted the growth of Tannehill, who was a first-round pick in 2012.

After his work with Foles last season, Lazor is starting to develop a reputation of a quarterback guru. That reputation will only increase if Lazor is able to also get Tannehill over the hump. Miami’s starting quarterback is just 15-17 as a starter entering a crucial third season.

The early impression is that Lazor is a demanding coach. He is detailed and already has a clear expectation of the offense and starting quarterback.

“I want to see the ball coming out on time, letting his football tell him when it’s time to throw it, and I want to see that he trusted us that this is how it all fits together,” Lazor said of Tannehill. "The quarterback has got to play at game speed every day in practice. The receivers will catch up to him."

Miami cannot afford to have inconsistent quarterback play this season. This is a big year for many in the organization. The Dolphins have not been to the playoffs since 2008, and the easiest way to end that drought is for Tannehill to develop into a franchise quarterback.

This week’s start to organized team activities proved there is still work to be done. Miami's offense made various mistakes and looked well behind the defense, which has played in the same scheme for the past three seasons.

“There’s still a learning curve. It’s not going to come overnight,” Tannehill said this week. “It’s going to take some time, not just for me but for all of our guys.”

The question Dolphins observers in South Florida want to know is how long it will take Miami’s new offense to click. Will it be in training camp? During the preseason? Or will the Dolphins take a steep learning curve into the regular season where the offensive can potentially cost them games that matter?

“How long it takes is a work in progress. It’s day-to-day,” Lazor said. “What we did today isn’t going to be good enough tomorrow. We made that clear to the players afterward. They’ve got to get better, and there is no ending point.”

The Dolphins are hoping Lazor and Tannehill can be a power pair this season. Much of Miami's success this year is riding on it.

Again... I agree with your observation. From the little I've seen of Lazor, he seems like the type of player that will bring the type of Offense that will keep teams guessing how to counter it. He also looks like the type of couch that players pay attention to, because he has an aura which demands respect.

I like that he expects THill to throw according to the timing on the offense and it's the WR's job to catch up. Sounds like he has certain expectations that needs to be met and nothing else matters. I think I like him up to this point

Interesting that he puts a big emphasis on practice. I like it, tannehill needs to be perfect in practice so it becomes a habit during game time

If nothing else Lazor is night and day different from Sherman in how he articulates his philosophy

I think Chip had something to do with the success of the QB and Philly offense last season so lets not put Lazor in the hall of fame just yet.....not to mention Foles looked pretty good as a rookie the yr before....I'm a wait and see guy with Lazor, now that he is a OC his responsibilities are different and he has a lot more to worry about than the QB....I'm rooting for him but will save the that a boys for latter.....

While the Philadelphia Eagles improvement is attributed to Foles, because he made few errors, he also had a decent O-line and big time weapons in DeSean Jackson and LeSean McCoy, who knew how to exploit their opponents. We have some weapons but this is a big challenge for Tannehill. I think he's up to it but we are going to see a lot more sophistication than Go/Go Go. There are some in the media like Alex Marvez who has stated that expects Tannehill to probably fail because he doesn't read the Defense quickly enough. I hope he's wrong but Sherman may have been excessively conservative and protective because he knew his flaws.
We need to significantly improve production in the running game.

The thing I like about bringing Lazor to coach the offense is he's definitely going to push Ryan more than Sherman did. There was obviously a sense of familiarity between Sherman and Tannehill, which probably helped Ryan a lot in his rookie year.

But now that he has 2 years under his belt, it's time for someone to push him out of that comfort zone, to help him grow as a QB, to get him to the next level. And Lazor seems perfect for the job.

We'll see if Ryan is up for the challenge. I hope he is.

72 is on a roll with several good posts today.

kept um coming brother :brewskis:

I like the fact Lazor is taking Ryan out of his comfort zone and forcing him to grow as a quarterback. Only gonna make him better in the long run .

Tannehill. I think he's up to it but we are going to see a lot more sophistication than Go/Go Go. There are some in the media like Alex Marvez who has stated that expects Tannehill to probably fail because he doesn't read the Defense quickly enough.

i said almost this very thing in one or two of the threads after lazor was hired. i am not so sure that this a good fit for him because he DOESNT read defenses fast enough. and he had been in the same sytsem since college and 2 years as a pro and is still slow to get his reads. and it caused him on TO MANY occasions to hold the ball to long and collecting sacks!!

i would imagine that if one were to break down all the plays that ended up in a sack last year, and knowing what the call was and the responsibility's of the wr's and TE, you would find that tanny was responsible for many of the sacks that the o-line is blamed for. sure, the o-line had holes and needed fresh blood. they gave WAY to many sacks. but, ryan tannehill caused a bunch of those by not reading the D fast enough and holding the ball to long. he also has an tendency at times to have iffy pocket awareness that helped him get sacked.

he has his work cut out for him. its put up or shut up and no new contract if he fails. i am not going to say he absolutely will fail mostly because this offense is going to afford him many options and more open wrs and TE's and that could be the ticket for him. plus a new line with a LT who can actually block and a RT who who doesnt moonlight as a turnstyle!!

but his inability [so far] to not be quick on reads is a red flag and an issue that is going to make or break him this year. and the team!

i said almost this very thing in one or two of the threads after lazor was hired. i am not so sure that this a good fit for him because he DOESNT read defenses fast enough. and he had been in the same sytsem since college and 2 years as a pro and is still slow to get his reads. and it caused him on TO MANY occasions to hold the ball to long and collecting sacks!!

i would imagine that if one were to break down all the plays that ended up in a sack last year, and knowing what the call was and the responsibility's of the wr's and TE, you would find that tanny was responsible for many of the sacks that the o-line is blamed for. sure, the o-line had holes and needed fresh blood. they gave WAY to many sacks. but, ryan tannehill caused a bunch of those by not reading the D fast enough and holding the ball to long. he also has an tendency at times to have iffy pocket awareness that helped him get sacked.

he has his work cut out for him. its put up or shut up and no new contract if he fails. i am not going to say he absolutely will fail mostly because this offense is going to afford him many options and more open wrs and TE's and that could be the ticket for him. plus a new line with a LT who can actually block and a RT who who doesnt moonlight as a turnstyle!!

but his inability [so far] to not be quick on reads is a red flag and an issue that is going to make or break him this year. and the team!

If you break the sacks down into categories of short sacks, normal sacks, and long sacks - then yes, Tannehill is at fault, or shares a large part of the blame, in the later 2 categories. But short sacks? That's not necessarily the case.

In the later part of last season, the league wide average percentages across those three categories were:
Short Sacks -- 34.6%
Normal Sacks -- 32.3%
Long Sacks -- 33.2%

Tannehill's percentages:
Short Sacks -- 53.7%
Normal Sacks -- 37.5%
Long Sacks -- 9.4%

Tannehill was sacked almost 20% more than the league average on short sacks. Often before he completed his drop defenders were around the tackles, and Dolphins linemen were often beaten off the snap a very high number of times. But also looking at the stats, Tannehill did an excellent job of not taking long sacks where he excels when either scrambling or moving outside the pocket.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/under-pressure/2013/under-pressure-sack-breakdowns
Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill has been sacked 17 times (53.1 percent) on short sacks, 12 times (37.5 percent) on medium sacks and three times (9.4 percent) on long sacks. It’s a pretty clear sign that the Dolphins sack problems (and they are significant problems) are the line’s fault, and not the fault of wide receivers failing to get open or a quarterback who holds the ball too long.

Football outsiders also separated the sacks out into blown blocks, confusion, and coverage sacks. Not surprisingly, the Dolphins were the team with the most blown blocks at 35.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/under-pressure/2013/under-pressure-sacks-confusion

While Tannehill still has things he needs to work on (decision making, patience, footwork, and trusting receivers), you cannot put the amount of sacks he took last season solely on him. There is a reason we replaced four fifth's of the Oline and spent our 1st round draft pick on a right tackle - as well as brought in Knowshon Moreno, who is a very good blocking and pass catching back.

Tannehill also does not hold onto the ball longer than other QBs. Only 6 QBs out of 26 got the football out of their hands faster than Tannehill did in the 2013 season. Tannehill spent 2.5 seconds or less in the pocket on 64.9% percent of his dropbacks, which is the second-highest percentage of such passes in the league. His 4.3 seconds to scramble on average and 3.6 seconds to be sacked on average are both the 6th fastest in the league in those categories. His 2.28 seconds to attempt a pass on average is the 2nd fastest in the league. By contrast, Foles took an average of 2.88 seconds to throw the ball in 2013. He held the ball 2.6 seconds or longer on 61% of his drops - which led the league. Foles made better decisions, but also had a better supporting cast.

A large portion of Tannehill's INT's came in just 3 games - New Orleans, and Buffalo twice. He threw 8 INTs in those games where he was under constant duress, frustrated with teammates, and was trying to force something to happen. Most QBs throw INTs in bunches like this though with Peyton Manning having 18 3+ INT games in his career. With better protection and offensive schemes, Tannehill should be able to cut that number down significantly as well.

Let's all just hope Benton and Lazor, 2 of our better off-season acquisitions, get the most out of the Dolphins offense this season...

Last edited by a moderator:
While the Philadelphia Eagles improvement is attributed to Foles, because he made few errors, he also had a decent O-line and big time weapons in DeSean Jackson and LeSean McCoy, who knew how to exploit their opponents. We have some weapons but this is a big challenge for Tannehill. I think he's up to it but we are going to see a lot more sophistication than Go/Go Go. There are some in the media like Alex Marvez who has stated that expects Tannehill to probably fail because he doesn't read the Defense quickly enough. I hope he's wrong but Sherman may have been excessively conservative and protective because he knew his flaws.
We need to significantly improve production in the running game.

Tannehills presnap reads are not the problem. Nor his ability to adjust after the snap.
Getting sacked on a three step drop, is.

Back
Top Bottom