Bill Walsh on Single Wing 25 Years Ago... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Walsh on Single Wing 25 Years Ago...

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
… To someone who’s never seen the single wing, believe me, it can be a thing of beauty… In college it’s been abandoned, and why I’ll never know, because it seems that some of those nifty running quarterbacks would be just right for the run-and-pass tailback duties…

In the pros, its drawbacks are obvious. Your passer couldn’t take the pounding.

“I’ve reflected on the single wing,” [Bill] Walsh says. “Those blocking schemes would just chew up NFL defenses. You could double-team every hole and trap at every hole. You’d have six men blocking three. Plus you’d have the power for the sweeps.

“Joe Montana might be able to play tailback, to run and pass, but you wouldn’t let him do it unless you had another Joe Montana to spell him…”

This comes from...

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/

I found it interesting. I don't think anyone has found an answer to the durability issues, which is why Miami will probably cap the "Wildcat" that features Pat White at only a certain percentage of the offense. Long term it would mean having Chad Henne and Pat White sharing time, I think.

There are a lot of people though that think that you ruin both QB's feel for the game if you rotate like that.

im all for winnin games... if we gotta pull some sneak **** im a ok with that

for real... a w is a w

how bout a chad henne flea flicker to white fade route in the endzone to jake long... **** if i care... thats 6 *****

enjoy gettin smashed on ur ur kick return

This comes from...

I found it interesting. I don't think anyone has found an answer to the durability issues, which is why Miami will probably cap the "Wildcat" that features Pat White at only a certain percentage of the offense. Long term it would mean having Chad Henne and Pat White sharing time, I think.

There are a lot of people though that think that you ruin both QB's feel for the game if you rotate like that.

very interesting article indeed

as for the "ruining the rhytmn" thing, i think it's not justified. I've seen plenty of examples in my life, one that i've seen in cegep (quebec's prep school equivalent) where a team had its starting quarterback and they would change quarterbacks for a smaller, faster and niftier one in some specific down and distance situations, and that team won the championship that year.

More common to you, my american friends, is the year the gators played both Leak and Tebow when they won their national championship in 2007...

There must be plenty of other examples out there, but those two come to my mind right now

A white/henne duo would be awesome, but the biggest problem IMO is salary... There would obviously be some issues here as both guys would probably want a nice contract, and you can't tie up two big salaries for that position IMO ...

I see struggle with the wild cat, but every now and then will give it the spark to continue. Pat White's future looks like it can last at much three years with us at most.. Although this is no way his way or attitude, He will want to come a all time starter he will find a team that would give that to him injury will come and may effect him more then others and die out. So i say Pat White needs to do all he can now and the little time he may have in Miami. In all seriousness Pat White is an awesome dude and i truely wish the best for him and if find success with getting to play here that he stays.

^^^ yeah... but how bout if one dont work out we got another guy to try out?

i was impressed with white at the combine...

even after is impressive college career i was doubtin like the media convinced me i should....

that kid can throw...

i just want good players on this team...

everything else is 2nd

edit: not bta... to JTforpres

^^^ yeah... but how bout if one dont work out we got another guy to try out?

i was impressed with white at the combine...

even after is impressive college career i was doubtin like the media convinced me i should....

that kid can throw...

i just want good players on this team...

everything else is 2nd

edit: not bta... to JTforpres

I was impressed with his arm in the games I saw this year and the combine. It has surprised me that he has done so poorly in the OTA's...I hope he turns it around...

very interesting article indeed

as for the "ruining the rhytmn" thing, i think it's not justified. I've seen plenty of examples in my life, one that i've seen in cegep (quebec's prep school equivalent) where a team had its starting quarterback and they would change quarterbacks for a smaller, faster and niftier one in some specific down and distance situations, and that team won the championship that year.

More common to you, my american friends, is the year the gators played both Leak and Tebow when they won their national championship in 2007...

There must be plenty of other examples out there, but those two come to my mind right now

A white/henne duo would be awesome, but the biggest problem IMO is salary... There would obviously be some issues here as both guys would probably want a nice contract, and you can't tie up two big salaries for that position IMO ...

Not so many years ago teams tried to have one RB and the rest were backups. Teams began to see where that wasn't the best way to go in a 16 game season. Now everyone has more than one back. I can the QB position being the same way in a few years. As for cap issues, they will get worked out just like everything else.

"There are a lot of people though that think that you ruin both QB's feel for the game if you rotate like that."

Seems to me the Dolphins used two QB's when they had Strock and Woodley. Strock being the traditional type of QB and Woodley being the run/pass option.

This comes from...

I definitly don't like the idea of a full time QB platoon.

Interesting that B. Walsh said this when he had S. Young - one of the two or three greatest run/pass QB's of all time. I think Young had the misfortune of spending his prime in the early 90s. Montana didn't have competition comparable to the early 90's Cowboys.

I don't see White ever taking more than 25% of the snaps. This season, though, 10% would seem high.

Neither do I. I have never seen it work on a professional level. The Cowboys were somewhat successful with it in the early 70s with Morton and Staubach but it eventually caused more problems than it was supposed to solve.

Yeah, me neither. The Dolphins only rode "Wood-Strock" to a Super Bowl appearance...Seems like a waste of time. Let's do what Jimmy Johnson did with Dan Marino making him hand off on the stretch play for 1 yard each time and then ask Dan to convert a 3 & 8, because "That's what we run down here!"

Jeesh!

The QB platoon thing is usually anathema in the league. But I guess you could wonder why it's considered a bad thing. Personally, when it has been tried in the past and it didn't work...the thing you have to ask is why are you putting two guys out there? Having good QBs is so rare in this league that the chances really are not with you having two good ones that you're putting out there. The chances are much better that if you're rotating two QBs out there, only one of them is good, or neither of them is that good. Either way, you're not going to get better QB play out of the position by taking the good one off the field and putting in a poorer substitute, and if they both suck you're doomed from the start regardless of any kind of rotation scheme.

The other thing is, why are you putting the two out there? To what purpose? If they are QBs that look mostly alike, then all you are doing is interrupting their rhythm and still providing the same look, the same offense. If that's the case, you had better hope that somehow you've managed to pull two QBs that are part of the exclusive "club" where a lot of other teams don't even have one.

In Miami, I do get the sense that they think they have two QBs but those two are Chad Pennington and Chad Henne. I don't get the sense that they think Pat White is a dropback, pocket QB that can take 100% of the snaps at the position and run an offense. So if they have two guys rotating, which includes Pat White, it's not because they think they have two, it's because they think they have some schemes that star Pat White that will work for a certain percentage of the plays.

what's the difference between putting ronnie brown under center for 6-7-8 plays/game or putting pat white instead ?

Obviously, it changes the whole dynamic for the wildcat, wildpat, whatever ... but for chad pennington, it doesn't change a darn thing because he'll play the same ammount of snaps as he did in '08, and he was effective while sharing time with the wildcat this past season ...

so what's the big deal, really ?

like i said, the only long term problem to this "system" will be to determine henne and white's salaries when their contracts expires.... mostly white's contract, because if this is the way he's going to be used, there's no blueprint of players who played that position and got xxxxxxx ammount of money ... it'll be a situation like devin hester who is a special player that couldn't just tolerate a PR's salary, yet couldn't ask for an all-star WR's salary either

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom