Bill Walsh on Single Wing 25 Years Ago... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Walsh on Single Wing 25 Years Ago...

Might take into consideration that it is rumoured that Pat White can throw a nice long pass and Chad Pennington is weak in that area. Maybe this is set to open up more of the field than we think.

I apologize if this has been discussed ad nauseam on other threads but I’ve been swamped lately and don’t get that opportunity to scour the net for invaluable Dolphin information as much as I use to but does anyone have any idea where the coaches plan to roster White on game day and who they might designate as our emergency QB?

This comes from...

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/

I found it interesting. I don't think anyone has found an answer to the durability issues, which is why Miami will probably cap the "Wildcat" that features Pat White at only a certain percentage of the offense. Long term it would mean having Chad Henne and Pat White sharing time, I think.

There are a lot of people though that think that you ruin both QB's feel for the game if you rotate like that.

Great find dude. IMO, as far as 2 QB’s sharing a degree of time/snaps it’s about team chemistry and I believe Sparano and co. can pull it off. Plus, it seems the time has come for this offensive package, and we’re at the point on its development in the NFL. It wouldn’t shock me if we win a championship with that advantage. It is a firm possibility IMO if things click right for us….

I apologize if this has been discussed ad nauseam on other threads but I’ve been swamped lately and don’t get that opportunity to scour the net for invaluable Dolphin information as much as I use to but does anyone have any idea where the coaches plan to roster White on game day and who they might designate as our emergency QB?

He'll be roster slotted as a QB.

Further, it's speculated that Miami will have 3 QBs active on gameday, or will have Henne in the Emergency QB role to be activated if Pennington gets hurt, in effect making Henne the 2nd string QB, even though he's inactive.

Further, it's speculated that Miami will have 3 QBs active on gameday, or will have Henne in the Emergency QB role to be activated if Pennington gets hurt, in effect making Henne the 2nd string QB, even though he's inactive.

But if Henne enters the game in the above situation, wouldn't that negate White or Pennington from re-entering the game until the 4th quarter?

One Dan Marino weakness I had heard of (HERESY! Burn the infidel!) was that he was a streak passer who wanted to get into a rhythm. Would not usually audible to a run play (a la Peyton Manning), wanted to keep chucking the ball. A guy like that would not platoon real well.

Pennington seems to be born to work with the Wildcat. His demeanor (team first) and his accuracy right out of the box allows him to step aside and let someone else take a snap and then step right back in.

I hope to see White get some success in pre-season from under center because I think that a team expecting WildPat when #6 comes in could be exposed by running from a conventional set. The White OTA struggles in that role are not surprising based on his mostly spread experience.

I do like that the Dolphins are innovating on offense and not doing the "same old, same old". Seen enough crummy Phins offense in my lifetime (see: Kippy Brown).

Who ever said that miami wouldn't be able to activate all 3 quarterbacks are rediculous. Miami could activate 4 quarterbacks if they want! It will just take one other player on offense/defense/special teams out of the game. Pat White is like 2 players in one so, it works out..

But if Henne enters the game in the above situation, wouldn't that negate White or Pennington from re-entering the game until the 4th quarter?

No.

-All three QBs can be on the active roster and they can platoon in however the HC chooses to use them. The Emergency QB slot is utilized as a favor to teams, of sorts. They don't HAVE to use it.

-If Henne is the Emergency QB and is activated, then, yes. Keep in mind, White will still be availiable. In the case that the QB has to go out for a play or two, I'm sure White, if active, could handle it. If it's longer, then, I'd expect Henne to be activated.

One of the problems with the Wildcat O last year was personnel. If you split CP out wide the only thing you have to watch him for is the reverse pass, and you really don't have to worry too much about RB throwing. That all changes with Pat White as he can go for a pass, run a reverse or reverse pass if he splits. If he lines up at QB then he will be a legitimate threat to pass as well as run or hand off. Another words it's 11 on 11 again in stead of 11 on 10, and not so predictable.

One of the problems with the Wildcat O last year was personnel. If you split CP out wide the only thing you have to watch him for is the reverse pass, and you really don't have to worry too much about RB throwing. That all changes with Pat White as he can go for a pass, run a reverse or reverse pass if he splits. If he lines up at QB then he will be a legitimate threat to pass as well as run or hand off. Another words it's 11 on 11 again in stead of 11 on 10, and not so predictable.

Bingo. And with Ronnie Brown's great hands, I wonder how often PW will enter the game and Brown will split out wide. Then you have that, the potential option pitch to Ricky Williams, going deep to Teddy Ginn, etc. It seems like it will be a nightmare for defenses to gameplan against all of the potential variables. I wonder how many mismatches there will be to get exploited, probably a bunch.

Might take into consideration that it is rumoured that Pat White can throw a nice long pass and Chad Pennington is weak in that area. Maybe this is set to open up more of the field than we think.

Exactly.

Back
Top Bottom