Bill Walsh said it again | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Walsh said it again

poppy

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Bill Walsh and Don Shula were just on NFL Network talking about Dan and Steve. Walsh said there has never been a better passer than Dan Marino and that he was a unique singular talent. He also said the only reason they won the 84 superbowl was because his "team" had more depth and bigger stronger players.

He essentially confirmed the "Joe Montana was a product of the system, while Dan was a system" quote thats been attributed to him.

It was cool to hear.

And the fact the SB was a HOME game for them. Played in the Rose Bowl.

MikeO said:
And the fact the SB was a HOME game for them. Played in the Rose Bowl.

Actually Stanford Stadium in the Fog, which was comparable to Miami playing the Super Bowl in the Orange Bowl in the heat, but good point.

Bill Walsh is one of the best, and a class act.

He always has admitted Dan Marino was the best QB he's ever seen.

Let's not annoint him Saint Walsh just yet here -- the fact is that saying what he is saying serves to make him look very good because he did in fact beat Dan, the greatest ever, and because it allows him to maximize his influence on Montana (and Young, though he wasn't there for that whole time).

Jimmy James said:
Let's not annoint him Saint Walsh just yet here -- the fact is that saying what he is saying serves to make him look very good because he did in fact beat Dan, the greatest ever, and because it allows him to maximize his influence on Montana (and Young, though he wasn't there for that whole time).

Bill Walsh has always said this though. I don't think it is self serving at all.

In fact, one time, when I was about 6 or 7, I was able to meet Joe Montana. Very nice guy but when I met him, I told him Dan Marino was my favorite QB. He laughed and said that Dan was his too.

In fact, recently, Joe Montana has been on a media tour and he has said over and over again that Marino was the best. He and Walsh really do believe it.

Samphin said:
Bill Walsh has always said this though. I don't think it is self serving at all.

In fact, one time, when I was about 6 or 7, I was able to meet Joe Montana. Very nice guy but when I met him, I told him Dan Marino was my favorite QB. He laughed and said that Dan was his too.

In fact, recently, Joe Montana has been on a media tour and he has said over and over again that Marino was the best. He and Walsh really do believe it.
I met Steve Grogan from the Pats 2 mths after they lost in SB against the Bears and i told him Marino was my fave player and he told me that Dan and our offense WAS our team. He said our defense was pretty bad.

Just goes to show you, people who really know the game know who the best are. Not the talking heads....

You see some people at Canton wearing the red 49ers jerseys, but it is about 75% teal Dolphin jerseys. :D

Walsh is being a little modest about his role in the victory.He got a good look at Marino in 83 when the Fins defeated the Niners came up with a great plan of how to defend him and exploit Miami's defensive weaknesses.

poppy said:
He essentially confirmed the "Joe Montana was a product of the system, while Dan was a system" quote thats been attributed to him.

I don't think that's really the case. Sure Walsh's system helped Montana. But Montana was an elite QB regardless. You can't teach the kind of mental makeup and intangibles that Montana had. Plus he was very tough and extremely accurate.

Montana was the man.

CrunchTime said:
Walsh is being a little modest about his role in the victory.He got a good look at Marino in 83 when the Fins defeated the Niners came up with a great plan of how to defend him and exploit Miami's defensive weaknesses.

He did a great job. Dan was never great at multiple reads, especially in year 2. Walsh knew that Dan was a great instinctive player so he gave him multiple looks and it made Dan hesitate. Also, of course, our defensive weaknesses were easily exploited by that great SF offense.

DolphinDevil28 said:
Bill Walsh is one of the best, and a class act.

He always has admitted Dan Marino was the best QB he's ever seen.

Yeah, but what does he know he's only a 4 time SB HC, and a HOF'er, !!! I think all the arm chair QB's that come here and tell us that Marino
can't be the best ever cause he has no SB ring are much more knowledgable. :shakeno:

Back
Top Bottom