Bill Walsh said it again | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Walsh said it again

Montana was an excellent QB. He didnt have the deep game that Dan did but he would cut you to ribbons in the short/medium passing game. Yes, the 49ers surrounded him with the correct weapons to maximize his abilities, but a lesser QB would not have faired as well as Joe.
That being said, I honestly believe that if Miami and SF had swapped QBs at the beginning of the '84 season, the 49ers would have won the SB (maybe gone undefeated) and Miami would not have made it to the SB at all.

Dan did one very good thing. He started right off the bat and said in his own HOF speech how much he respects Jim Kelly and the unfortunate passing of his son. Comon guys Bills fans aren't bad people, most of the time.

Muck said:
I don't think that's really the case. Sure Walsh's system helped Montana. But Montana was an elite QB regardless. You can't teach the kind of mental makeup and intangibles that Montana had. Plus he was very tough and extremely accurate.

Montana was the man.

Actually Walsh is being more honest than many of you, if you look at the string of QB's that played in San Fran from Montana to Garcia, they all put up extremely high QB efficiency rankings because the system is a high percentage short passing offense.

I don't say that to take away from Montana or Young but their efficiency numbers benifitted greatly from that.

So although you might not agree with that I'll just have to believe Bill Walsh since he was the Architect of the Niners great run.

yankeehillbilly said:
Montana was an excellent QB. He didnt have the deep game that Dan did but he would cut you to ribbons in the short/medium passing game. Yes, the 49ers surrounded him with the correct weapons to maximize his abilities, but a lesser QB would not have faired as well as Joe.
That being said, I honestly believe that if Miami and SF had swapped QBs at the beginning of the '84 season, the 49ers would have won the SB (maybe gone undefeated) and Miami would not have made it to the SB at all.

I think there is little doubt..........................

Jimmy James said:
Let's not annoint him Saint Walsh just yet here -- the fact is that saying what he is saying serves to make him look very good because he did in fact beat Dan, the greatest ever, and because it allows him to maximize his influence on Montana (and Young, though he wasn't there for that whole time).

And if you saw the expression on Shula's face while he was saying that, he wasn't very pleased. I could see the "you son of a b*tch" look in Shulas eyes.

popularwar said:
Is it just me or is there a noticeable lack of Bills fans hating on us?

They are out bowling.Bills favorite activity besides posting on here.:rolleyes:

popularwar said:
Is it just me or is there a noticeable lack of Bills fans hating on us?

Maybe for once the Jills fans are showing some class and giving us a day to remember.

BlueFin said:
Actually Walsh is being more honest than many of you, if you look at the string of QB's that played in San Fran from Montana to Garcia, they all put up extremely high QB efficiency rankings because the system is a high percentage short passing offense.

I don't say that to take away from Montana or Young but their efficiency numbers benifitted greatly from that.

So although you might not agree with that I'll just have to believe Bill Walsh since he was the Architect of the Niners great run.

That's not at all accurate in regards to what I was saying and what I believe.

The point I was making is that Montana was a great QB, not simply the product of a system as the thread-starter claimed Bill Walsh was saying.

I'm not disagreeing with Bill Walsh. I'm disagreeing with the notion that Walsh thinks Montana is just a system QB.

Oh come on guys. Yeah Dan is an amazing player, but lets not take something away from Montana. You guys celebrate when someone makes a good comment on the Fins or anything related to Miami, but yet when someone makes a comment that does not agree with ours like Dan is the Man, you flame them.

poppy said:
Bill Walsh and Don Shula were just on NFL Network talking about Dan and Steve. Walsh said there has never been a better passer than Dan Marino and that he was a unique singular talent. He also said the only reason they won the 84 superbowl was because his "team" had more depth and bigger stronger players.

He essentially confirmed the "Joe Montana was a product of the system, while Dan was a system" quote thats been attributed to him.

It was cool to hear.
Walsh is a wise, wise man.:)

I always have been a fan of the quote, "Joe Montana was a product of the system, while Dan Marino was the system". I think it's dead on accurate and I was very happy to hear Bill Walsh say that.

But there is also a quote that I came up with not too long ago that I also believe in.

"If Dan Marino had a good defense, he would have won a Super Bowl. If he had a great defense, he and the Miami Dolphins would have been a dynasty."

Muck said:
That's not at all accurate in regards to what I was saying and what I believe.

The point I was making is that Montana was a great QB, not simply the product of a system as the thread-starter claimed Bill Walsh was saying.

I'm not disagreeing with Bill Walsh. I'm disagreeing with the notion that Walsh thinks Montana is just a system QB.

As YankeeBilly said, There is no way Joe Montana quarterbacks the 1984 Dolphins to the Superbowl, conversely, Marino would have won multiple Superbowls had he been a Niner.

The fact is Walsh created something that was very effective and the fact is the Niners had an extremely talented overall team, much more talented overall than the 1984 Dolphins.

The proof of the system is how there was no real dropoff when Montana left, in fact for a while until the talent of the team degraded there was no major dropoff with Garcia for a while.

It's Walsh's opinion. Nice to hear,and I agree with him, but just an opinion. I'm sure there have been coaches who would say the same sort of good things about Montana, or Elway.

Who's really the best ever ? We all have an opinion, but there's no real way of knowing who would have done what had they been on another team, or in a different situation.

Back
Top Bottom