Bills fans stick behind their team | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bills fans stick behind their team

Don't forget that 30-40 % of the crowd in the stands at a Bills game on any given Sunday are Canadians from the greater Toronto area

If case you did know, the Bills dont even play in the city, the play in Orchard Park New York, which is about 20mins from the downtown area. I love south of the city so the Ralph is closer than going to the city. But we do manage to sell out almost every game every year with the 75,000 seats we have.

Holy CRAP this thread is full of a bunch of ignorant statements.

First off, there is NO WAY 30-40% of the Bills' attendance every sunday comes from Canada. It's closer to 15%. The Fort Erie/St. Catherines market is roughly 500,000, while the Buffalo metropolitan area is 1.15 million. Furthermore, a strong percentage (in the 10% range) come from Rochester every game. It cracks me up when I hear these outrageous claims that make it sound like the Bills might as well move to Hamilton because they are so heavily supported by Southern Ontario.

Second off, Buffalo is BY FAR the smallest market in the AFC East, with one of the largest stadiums in the league, BUT Buffalo also has the cheapest tickets. Keep that in mind.

Also, this dumbass statement "what else is there to do in Buffalo?" is so ludicrous I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Buffalo is not the ghosttown you all think it is. There are plenty of things to do in Buffalo. You have to remember, Buffalo was once a MAJOR city, so it still has the amenities from its major days. Buffalo's amenities are abundant compared to comparable-sized cities such as Raleigh or Jacksonville. Visit sometime. You might be surprised.

Last point is that this thread is about how the DOLPHINS aren't filling the seats, remember? The Bills are doing just fine. Sure, not every game sells out, and some sell out at the last second, causing a tv blackout in Western New York, but the fan support is unquestionable in Buffalo. And this is during a down period, with the Bills struggling. As much as Bills fans yell and gripe about Bledsoe or any other player who isn't pulling his own weight, the truth is that the Bills are like family, and are really the city's identity. That's why Bills fans don't bandwagon. They are there through thick and thin. Libraries might close down, industries may move out, and the city might fall into lake erie, but you can still count on Bills fans showing up en masse every game. It's in our blood.

PayTheBills - I could'nt have said it better myself. People who think Buffalo is a ghost town have never been there. Buffalo use to be in the top 5 cities in the COUNTRY.

Not to mention that we have LESS THAN HALF the population that Miami, NE, and Jets have and we STILL sell out more games on a consistent bases.

DaQuix said:
PayTheBills - I could'nt have said it better myself. People who think Buffalo is a ghost town have never been there. Buffalo use to be in the top 5 cities in the COUNTRY.

Not to mention that we have LESS THAN HALF the population that Miami, NE, and Jets have and we STILL sell out more games on a consistent bases.

You don't sell out more than we do, we have been sold out eevry game since the late 70s.

nyjunc said:
You don't sell out more than we do, we have been sold out eevry game since the late 70s.

That is only because you have literally 12 million more people than we do!!

Oh and maybe you should look at your attendance some years. You may sell out, but there have been times I have went and seen 2,000 - 3,000 empty seats.

Buffalo: a market of 1.2 million people supporting two pro teams (Bills and Sabres). That's 600,000 people per pro sports team.

New York: a market of 21 million people supporting 10 pro sports teams (Jets, Giants, Mets, Yankees, Islanders, Rangers, Devils, Nets, Knicks, and I'll even throw the Liberty in there). That's 2.1 million people per pro sports team.

Just more food for thought...

DaQuix said:
That is only because you have literally 12 million more people than we do!!

Oh and maybe you should look at your attendance some years. You may sell out, but there have been times I have went and seen 2,000 - 3,000 empty seats.

That is just an excuse, there are more than enough people throughout the surrounding areas of Buffalo. yes we have alot more people but we also have ALOT more ways to spend the entertianment dollar and we have such a diverse population that I'd say at leat half of the people in the City and suburbs have never even heard of the NY Jets. There are so many people that don't care about sports whereas in a place like Buffalo it's more like a College town where the area almost shuts down on gameday.

As for the Bills selling out, to me when you can do it considtently when you are winning them you can do it consistently every yeara nd they always sold out during the Kelly years but growing up when yuo guys were brutal around the time Kelly got there that Stadium was about 1/4 full and in the past deacde or so you guys have had some bad crowds and have had more blackouts than sellouts(or at least would have been blackouts had local TV stations or Ralph Wilson not purchased the remaining tickets)

Look who's talking about excuses! You live in a metro of 21 million people. The numbers show that the ratio of population to pro sports teams clearly favors New York.

I will agree with you about the passion for sports in Buffalo. I think sports plays a much larger role in Buffalo's character than sports plays in New York's. New York is the Big Apple, with Broadway, Time Square, the Brooklyn Bridge, the Statue of Liberty, and so on. New York wears many different faces. Buffalo is a blue-collar sports town, bottom line. Is there a theater district in Buffalo? Sure. Is there Niagara Square, Lafayette Square, the Peace Bridge, etc? Sure, but the identity of Buffalo, more than anything else, is that of a gritty, blue-collar city that comes together to pull for its football team every week. And that's why li'l old Buffalo, a metro of 1.15 million, manages to pack in that 73,000-seat stadium pretty much every gameday.

And to top it all off your stadium (which isn't even in the state of New York) is SMALL by NFL standards.

Really? We have the # 2 or 3 largest capacity in the NFl but that is small by NFL standards?

I stand corrected. I was thinking of Dallas' stadium. None-the-less, my point stands. I've corrected my post for you.

donshula said:
Foxboro is a small town but,the Super Bowl Champions sell out All the time.
Boston, RI and New Hampshire form a very large region.

And Foxboro has between 8-10,000 less seats than the other 3 AFC East stadiums.

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and it's clearly not you. As I already said, there are plenty of entertainment options in Buffalo. The city used to be a top 10 city in terms of population. It still has amenities of a much more major city. A theater district, four separate nightlife districts, two pro sports teams not to mention minor league teams (the Bisons won the championship this year, woo hoo!), one of the oldest zoos in the nation, Niagara Falls, the museum of science, the botanical gardens, the waterfront, the Naval shipyard, the historic society, albright knox art gallery, incredible architectural and historic tours, and so on and so on. Heck, just look at the metro rail. Buffalo is the smallest city in the nation to have lightrail...remnance from Buffalo's 'big city' mentality, even though the population is shrinking.

Now am I saying Buffalo is New York, Boston, or even Miami? No. It simply isn't at that level. No denying that. But to say that the only reason Bills games sell out is because it's the only thing to do is simply absurd, and only people that don't know Buffalo would say such a thing.

Oh, and if you ever do venture up to Buffalo, I highly recommend you set aside some good time for good eatin'. Be sure to get:

Anderson's beef on weck
ted's hot dogs
mighty taco
Duffs' wings
La Nova's bbq wings
a chicken finger sub from Mike's
Bocce Club pizza
and some sponge candy from Antoinettes to top it all off.

Wash it down with some ridiculously sweet loganberry. :)

Back
Top Bottom