Bills versus Dolphins matchup by position | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bills versus Dolphins matchup by position

dlockz

Hall Of Famer
Reaction score
Figured I would compare the dolphins and bills head to head to see how they stack up.

QB-This was a hard decision but I rate Qb fairly even. Pennington is more experienced and Edwards has more of a full skillset . Edwards seems on his way to becoming a top level Qb and has a proven backup in Losman that can get the job done if he gets dinged up. At this point we cannot be sure that Henne is ready but I damn well hope is getting there. Pennington and Edwards have been deadly accurate so far and have made few mistakes. The one thing that Edwards has on Pennington is that he has the arm to exploit our secondary. Still overall a tossup and even.

RB-Overall I think Lynch is as good as any RB in this game even with low per carry average but Ronnie and Ricky along with Cobbs by far outweigh what Buffalo can bring on the field.

Advantage Miami 2 always beats one.

WR-Not even a close matchup. Lee Evans, josh Reed are a much better combo and they have some role players in Parrish and Hardy. We have Cam and Ginn and not much else.

Advantage - Buffalo a possible pro bowler and a solid veteran are more than we have by far.

TE-Robert Royal is having the best year of his career and at best seems to be slightly better than David Martin. Fasano gives us a dual dimension we have not had in a while.

Advantage-Miami by a pretty good margin

OL-this may piss off some Bills fans but I have to say these lines are pretty even right now and the Bills has been dissapointing at run blocking so far. We have the making of a top level line and the Bills do have some solid pieces to buidl from with dockery and Peters. Thier line should be betters with Peters back. Long will become a top level tackle and we have some very good compliments just need depth.

Advantage-Even

DL-with ferguson playing I would give Miami the advantage but with Ferguson out the field quite evens out. Stroud is playing like a top level Dt. Overall I see our unit becoming a much better one than thiers but ferguson will be a huge whole and Solai has been underwhelming on the field. Our unit does have much better depth and has been better at the

Advantage -Even

LB-If Angelo crowell was not on injured reserve I would say they had one of the better starting units in the league. Crowell is a huge hole that is not being filled to this point. we have much more depth with torbor and Anderson coming off the bench along with three established starters. Porter is having a great year getting to the Qb and Crowder and Akinole have been good in the middle.

Advantage- Miami bigtime

Secondary-The Bills have a very deep secondary with a very good mix of youth and experience. McGhee and Greer form a solid combo with McKelvin learning on the job. They also have two fine young safeties in Simpson and Whitner. we basically have Will Allen and Yermiah bell along with alot of spare parts. Our secondary is getting abused in the deep game.

Advantage-bills bigtime

special teams-
McGhee has always been a good kick returner and Parrish is a great punt returner. Lindell is a career 80 percent kicker with a solid leg and Moorman has been very good this year. Carpenter and Fields have both been solid but our return game has been erratic at best.

advantage-Buffalo

Coaching- Overall both staffs have thier strengths and weaknesses. I think Jauron has been very good at times and Sparano is in his first year.
Schnort has been doing a good job as the OC for Buffalo and Henning at times has been good at getting favorable matchups, you cannot blame Henning for lack of talent at Wr. At this point neither coach has shown anything to standout over the other.

Advantage-even

This is definately not a supremely talented Buffalo team and it does have some holes but at this point I think they are well matched to come in and exploit our weaknesses esp with Ferguson out.

I say Buffalo 27 Miami 17

hope Im wrong

Agree with a lot of what you said, the Bills do not blow us out of the water talent wise. However, the matchup is terrible especially without Fergeson in the middle. The Bills will be able to keep our defense off balance with the run which in turn will allow Edwards and his good stable of WR's to ri our porous secondary apart.

Figured I would compare the dolphins and bills head to head to see how they stack up.

QB-This was a hard decision but I rate Qb fairly even. Pennington is more experienced and Edwards has more of a full skillset . Edwards seems on his way to becoming a top level Qb and has a proven backup in Losman that can get the job done if he gets dinged up. At this point we cannot be sure that Henne is ready but I damn well hope is getting there. Pennington and Edwards have been deadly accurate so far and have made few mistakes. The one thing that Edwards has on Pennington is that he has the arm to exploit our secondary. Still overall a tossup and even.

RB-Overall I think Lynch is as good as any RB in this game even with low per carry average but Ronnie and Ricky along with Cobbs by far outweigh what Buffalo can bring on the field.

WR-Not even a close matchup. Lee Evans, josh Reed are a much better combo and they have some role players in Parrish and Hardy. We have Cam and Ginn and not much else.

Advantage - Buffalo a possible pro bowler and a solid veteran are more than we have by far.

TE-Robert Royal is having the best year of his career and at best seems to be slightly better than David Martin. Fasano gives us a dual dimension we have not had in a while.

OL-this may piss off some Bills fans but I have to say these lines are pretty even right now and the Bills has been dissapointing at run blocking so far. We have the making of a top level line and the Bills do have some solid pieces to buidl from with dockery and Peters. Thier line should be betters with Peters back. Long will become a top level tackle and we have some very good compliments just need depth.

Advantage-Even

DL-with ferguson playing I would give Miami the advantage but with Ferguson out the field quite evens out. Stroud is playing like a top level Dt. Overall I see our unit becoming a much better one than thiers but ferguson will be a huge whole and Solai has been underwhelming on the field. Our unit does have much better depth and has been better at the

Advantage -Even

LB-If Angelo crowell was not on injured reserve I would say they had one of the better starting units in the league. Crowell is a huge hole that is not being filled to this point. we have much more depth with torbor and Anderson coming off the bench along with three established starters. Porter is having a great year getting to the Qb and Crowder and Akinole have been good in the middle.

Advantage- Miami bigtime

Secondary-The Bills have a very deep secondary with a very good mix of youth and experience. McGhee and Greer form a solid combo with McKelvin learning on the job. They also have two fine young safeties in Simpson and Whitner. we basically have Will Allen and Yermiah bell along with alot of spare parts. Our secondary is getting abused in the deep game.

Advantage-bills bigtime

special teams-
McGhee has always been a good kick returner and Parrish is a great punt returner. Lindell is a career 80 percent kicker with a solid leg and Moorman has been very good this year. Carpenter and Fields have both been solid but our return game has been erratic at best.

advantage-Buffalo

Coaching- Overall both staffs have thier strengths and weaknesses. I think Jauron has been very good at times and Sparano is in his first year.
Schnort has been doing a good job as the OC for Buffalo and Henning at times has been good at getting favorable matchups, you cannot blame Henning for lack of talent at Wr. At this point neither coach has shown anything to standout over the other.

Advantage-even

This is definately not a supremely talented Buffalo team and it does have some holes but at this point I think they are well matched to come in and exploit our weaknesses esp with Ferguson out.

hope Im wrong

I'm not a big fan of "matchups" pieces like this because the units don't play against each other and because it doesn't account for certain individual matchups and nuances.

Still, as far as matchups go, this one is pretty good.

Can't argue with Edwards and the Bills success to date. I still think it'll be a pretty close matchup, no matter who comes out ahead - my benchmark being the Cardinals, who blew both teams out but beat them a tad worse and concussed Edwards.

sz92c8-1.jpg

the rb's are closer than you think.
I also think their D line takes ours.
But nice.
I would like to see someone do a matchup or the units that face eachother

I think the Bills have a clear advantage at QB and like Canfinfan said your not giving there RB's much respect. I visited a couple Bills boards this week and they wont shut up about this kid Jackson who most look at as almost equal to Lynch.

Other than that it looks pretty good

marshawn isnt the only thing in buffalo's backfield. fred jackson is becoming a hell of a player, he's an amazing change of pace back for marshawn.

I'm not overly impressed w/BUFFALO, really. Look at who they played, and what they did vs. each opponent.

Don't even talk to me about their running game's being a two-headed monster. The new MIAMI "D" has faced a lot better than that, e.g., in LT and SPROLES, with a VETERAN topshelf QB, an All-World TE, and a reborn C CHAMBERS. And in preseason, we faced another better one in F TAYLOR and JONES-DREW. KC had a pretty great RB who did squat against the new MIAMI "3-4" as well.

Don't tell me about EDWARDS, either: he hasn't been tested w/real pressure. Against SD, for example, he wasn't pressured at all. MERRIMAN's gone, and SD's pass rush went w/him. And it's being commented that, while their returning LOT is going to help, they still have questions w/their interior line: not good AT ALL.

But mainly, it's that BUFFALO just hasn't been tested yet. I give them credit for beating their lesser opponents, but that's just about it. Given SD's decline, J'Ville's the only semi-tough opponentthat BUFFALO has faced, and if I remember correctly, BUFFALO won by 4points. Thrillsville!!!

Advantage-Even

Advantage -Even

Advantage- Miami bigtime

Advantage-bills bigtime

special teams-

advantage-Buffalo

Advantage-even

hope Im wrong

nice post...on the DL you have Ferguson out but I think Schobel might be out again for us. We still have problems getting to the QB (seems like its been that way for 10 years now), so I think it'll be a little closer. 20-17 Miami due to the desperation factor

I'm not overly impressed w/BUFFALO, really. Look at who they played, and what they did vs. each opponent.

Don't even talk to me about their running game's being a two-headed monster. The new MIAMI "D" has faced a lot better than that, e.g., in LT and SPROLES, with a VETERAN topshelf QB, an All-World TE, and a reborn C CHAMBERS. And in preseason, we faced another better one in F TAYLOR and JONES-DREW. KC had a pretty great RB who did squat against the new MIAMI "3-4" as well.

Don't tell me about EDWARDS, either: he hasn't been tested w/real pressure. Against SD, for example, he wasn't pressured at all. MERRIMAN's gone, and SD's pass rush went w/him. And it's being commented that, while their returning LOT is going to help, they still have questions w/their interior line: not good AT ALL.

But mainly, it's that BUFFALO just hasn't been tested yet. I give them credit for beating their lesser opponents, but that's just about it. Given SD's decline, J'Ville's the only semi-tough opponentthat BUFFALO has faced, and if I remember correctly, BUFFALO won by 4points. Thrillsville!!!

you obviously haven't watched any buffalo games...my brother is a die hard bills fan and ive watched every game...buffalo is a very good team regardless of their "schedule"...if you watched that jaguars game at jacksonville the bills dominated the first half and the reason why that game was close was in the second half they couldnt get the ball back...jags controlled the clock...got an onsides kick and buffalo finally got the ball back and trent drove them down the field for a comeback win...they have been tested maybe not by the "best" teams but its not like we're a great team...edwards also led them for a comeback win vs oakland when they turned the ball over 3 times and 2 of those were in oakland territory the other was on buffalos own 12 yard line...oakland controlled the field position the entire game and trent led them from behind once again to win that game as well...the only way we win this game is by converting on 3rd down and keeping their offense off the field...if we cant get td's were going to be in for a long day

And in preseason, we faced another better one in F TAYLOR and JONES-DREW. KC had a pretty great RB who did squat against the new MIAMI "3-4" as well.

Because who you faced in preseason really matters. Unbelievable.

As for the pressure in the San Diego game, ever think that might have had something to do with the offensive line? They played amazing. San Diego has a good pass rush, you'd know that if you watched them the week before rip through and apart the New England line and were all over Cassell.

Not giving Edwards enough credit at all.

That'll change after Sunday.

Advantage-Even

Advantage -Even

Advantage- Miami bigtime

Advantage-bills bigtime

special teams-

advantage-Buffalo

Advantage-even

hope Im wrong

Where to begin geesh? First of all I think we learned all we need to know about this thread when you said the QB's were even. Edwards is the superior quarterback here. No question about it. His timing, accuracy and awareness are about as good as you will find in the NFL. His arm strength isn't great but it is still pretty good and surely better then Pennington's. Edwards by far on this one.

As far as running backs are concerned, apparently you have never heard of one Fred Jackson. I would agree that Lynch and Brown are both great backs and about cancel each other out. But Fred Jackson is better then Ricky. You will find that out this weekend. Fred Jackson the NFL's best kept secret and just as much a part of the Bills great start as Lynch.

Finally I don't know if you saw the Bills/Chargers game, but Mitchell was of the hook. Probably the best defensive performance of the week. And Poz is a tackling machine in the middle. Keith Ellison is pretty much worthless, so you may have the advantage, but bigtime no way.

Here is one matchup for you

5-1 Vs 2-4 Advantage 5-1.

The only common games here are Arizona and they crushed both teams. Buffalo lost there starting QB and team leader on the 3rd play. And San Diego whom Both teams beat.

2 of the dolphin losses were to pretty bad teams. I would compare the loss to Houston the same as a loss to the Raiders, except the Bills actually pulled that game out. And Houston isnt really lighting the league on fire.

Back
Top Bottom