Blackout looming for Jets/Dolphins? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Blackout looming for Jets/Dolphins?

I think it's wrong to assume that winning brings fans to the stadium, because it certainly didn't look any fans were at the games at the end of 2008 either. so how many years does this team have to post a winning record before the fans decide to actually support them?

Those games were all sold out -- it really wasn't until last year that Ross had to start regularly eating tickets to avoid blackouts. Whether or not the stadium shots showed everyone in their seats is another story. And keep in mind that this isn't a year to year thing. The team sold out under Wanny, Saban, Cameron and Sparano. The erosion of ticket sales took time and was the result of years of boring, ****ty football and losing records. And yes, it is the wins and losses more than anything.

I'm not going to claim that South Florida has great fans, but a lot of people finally just said 'enough is enough.' It will take more than one win against Oakland to bring them back. That's just the reality of it.

Those games were all sold out -- it really wasn't until last year that Ross had to start regularly eating tickets to avoid blackouts. Whether or not the stadium shots showed everyone in their seats is another story. And keep in mind that this isn't a year to year thing. The team sold out under Wanny, Saban, Cameron and Sparano. The erosion of ticket sales took time and was the result of years of boring, ****ty football and losing records. And yes, it is the wins and losses more than anything.

I'm not going to claim that South Florida has great fans, but a lot of people finally just said 'enough is enough.' It will take more than one win against Oakland to bring them back. That's just the reality of it.
I remember WH having to buy tickets to avoid blackouts also.

That being said, I hope for two things, I hope i'm wrong about winning not being enough and I hope we have a winning season to see if i'm right or wrong.

I'm sure ross is more patient than I am. I question how patient, and I'll say again that I'm not sure winning cures all. Perhaps football, even winning football isnt' that important to the florida fanbase.

Basically what I have been saying for years, but I just get labeld as "bashing the local fans". I also asked early in this thread if winning would bring back the fans and I got some answer about how they have to win for years and the economy has to improve, etc. When playoff games get blacked out(2000 Colts) and 25-35% of the fans that do show up to the stadium are rooting for the away team, there is a much bigger problem than simply "they just need to win games". Winning will help fill the stadium, no doubt, but it I doubt it will be ever completely full, 85-90% Dolphins fans and people on a list for season tickets. Teams that win far less than Miami, like Cleveland and Buffalo don't have these problems. Of course the excuse is that all those people in Cleveland and Buffalo are just lucky to have a football game to go to while Miami has so many other things going on during a Sunday in the fall. Apparently the beach is closed 357 days out of the year and just opens for 8 Sundays in the fall.

It is a problem that only seems to exist in the state of Florida. Bad teams will always struggle to sell out games, but even when the Jaguars, Buccaneers and Dolphins have good teams the fans just don't show up. Makes you wonder if the state of Florida can even support one NFL team let alone three NFL teams.

Look at what you guys did, I wasn't going to chime in on the situation but you kept probing and I finally gave in.

2008 chargers game in danger of blackout...

http://www.thephinsider.com/2008/10/1/626248/blackout-of-dolphins-charg

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

same excuses in 2008 as there are today. tickets too expensive etc.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

Basically what I have been saying for years, but I just get labeld as "bashing the local fans". I also asked early in this thread if winning would bring back the fans and I got some answer about how they have to win for years and the economy has to improve, etc. When playoff games get blacked out(2000 Colts) and 25-35% of the fans that do show up to the stadium are rooting for the away team, there is a much bigger problem than simply "they just need to win games". Winning will help fill the stadium, no doubt, but it I doubt it will be ever completely full, 85-90% Dolphins fans and people on a list for season tickets. Teams that win far less than Miami, like Cleveland and Buffalo don't have these problems. Of course the excuse is that all those people in Cleveland and Buffalo are just lucky to have a football game to go to while Miami has so many other things going on during a Sunday in the fall. Apparently the beach is closed 357 days out of the year and just opens for 8 Sundays in the fall.

It is a problem that only seems to exist in the state of Florida. Bad teams will always struggle to sell out games, but even when the Jaguars, Buccaneers and Dolphins have good teams the fans just don't show up. Makes you wonder if the state of Florida can even support one NFL team let alone three NFL teams.

Look at what you guys did, I wasn't going to chime in on the situation but you kept probing and I finally gave in.
works for me Josh. I call shenanigans

Bottom line here is , you got 15-20 guys that come here every time one of these threads pop up. They defend the local fans, it's too hot, sparano football, the beach is pretty , i dont know how to eat and drink economically before the game so i need to blow $200 at the concession stands, i like sitting on my ass on sundays and enjoy wearing my couch out while i watch my 32" tv, the dolphins don't have the best stadium ......blah, blah, blah.

The end of the story is, those guys are just not that into the dolphins. Everybody has their choice but nothing compares to watching the dolphins live and in person, regardless of all the above excuses. The stadium was over 70% full last week and i expect a bigger crowd this week. The fans will come with or without the select few on finheaven.

Bottom line here is , you got 15-20 guys that come here every time one of these threads pop up. They defend the local fans, it's too hot, sparano football, the beach is pretty , i dont know how to eat and drink economically before the game so i need to blow $200 at the concession stands, i like sitting on my ass on sundays and enjoy wearing my couch out while i watch my 32" tv, the dolphins don't have the best stadium ......blah, blah, blah.

The end of the story is, those guys are just not that into the dolphins. Everybody has their choice but nothing compares to watching the dolphins live and in person, regardless of all the above excuses. The stadium was over 70% full last week and i expect a bigger crowd this week. The fans will come with or without the select few on finheaven.
amen brother.

No question. The team's been a bottom feeder since 2004; there have now been 3 coaches fired since then; the team has only now invested in a young QB, over ten years after Marino's retirement; the team is coming off of three straight losing seasons (and 6 losing seasons out of the last 8 with a 1-15 season among them); and the sole highlight of the post-Wanny years is an 11-5 fluke season which came to a screeching halt with a beat-down in the first round of the playofffs. But apparently none of that should have any bearing on attendance.

I hope they black it out. And black it out every single time they do not sell out the house. It is time we bring Miami fans back to reality. Don't go, read about it in the paper or listen on radio. The way it should be.

The way it was back in the day. I remember having to find a radio feed to listen to game when I lived in Miami and Wayne wouldn't buy up the tickets. Those were miserable times lol

No question. The team's been a bottom feeder since 2004; there have now been 3 coaches fired since then; the team has only now invested in a young QB, over ten years after Marino's retirement; the team is coming off of three straight losing seasons (and 6 losing seasons out of the last 8 with a 1-15 season among them); and the sole highlight of the post-Wanny years is an 11-5 fluke season which came to a screeching halt with a beat-down in the first round of the playofffs. But apparently none of that should have any bearing on attendance.

Explain the 2000 playoff game blackout.....

damn right it shouldn't. It absolutely shouldn't. You got a new coach and a rookie QB. Fans should be ****ing excited and should support the new team. every year. No matter what the previous year was. Because every year is a chance to be great. You wanna ****ing sit on your ass and complain about the cost of beer and tickets and parking at the stadium and a losing team how about you do that in december when/if the team is out of the playoffs.

I think it's wrong to assume that winning brings fans to the stadium, because it certainly didn't look any fans were at the games at the end of 2008 either. so how many years does this team have to post a winning record before the fans decide to actually support them? At some point fans forgot that attending the games helps your team win. You want to motivate a player to perform, get them pumped up by cheering for them when they are on the field. they can't hear you chant "reggie... reggie... reggie..." from your easy chair.

I went to 3 games that year and all 3 were packed...

Yea I only have 18,000+ posts on a Dolphins message board. Just not that into 'em.

Uh oh, they've awakened the SLEEPING GIANT!! Fight the good fight my brother...

Also to add to those mentioning the Baltimore game in 08, I remember being totally embarrassed at how many fans were actually at the "sellout" and how many of those "fans" were mistakenly rooting for the wrong team, oh wait...

You use Buffallo and Cleveland as examples when there IS less to do there (other sports teams, if they have any, suck) and they have also had issues selling out themselves. The Browns have needed help from sponsors to sell out. The Bills actually did blackout. Come on man. Its not just Miami.

Back
Top Bottom