Blanket

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dajesus, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan Donator

In the interview where Jarvis was bashing Ryan he also said his role in our offense was, “blanket.” I’m assuming he meant safety blanket. As much as we hate his interview I have to admit this was his role for much of his time here. What I’m curious about was this role more dictated because of his skill set, or Ryan needing that. I am hopeful this role will not be replaced, and we will take more shots down feild with all of our new speed. If someone fills this role i would think Danny. What do you guys think?

2. finfan41

finfan41 Rookie Finheaven VIP

Either that or he could not get down field and open fast enough, so Gase just used him at what he was good at 5 yard routes

3. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek Finheaven VIP

It was both skill set and need. I'm assuming the idea is instead of just Jarvis running those routes, now there will be Drake, Ballage, Gesicki, Amendola, Wilson, etc. to spread it around and be less predictable. Cool with it in theory.

Do I think a safety blanket is all Landry is capable of? **** no.

foozool13, Ray R and Travis34 like this.
  4. LoneStarPhin

LoneStarPhin FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

every team has a check down dude and every team has a "possession" receiver. Landry was that.

RT was one of the best in 2016 at deeper throws. he didnt need a "security blanket" any more than any other qb.

you'll see how Landry does this fall. i think the "Landry yards" this yr will go to Amendola and Wilson.

5. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Whatever his role was, it was far too big and should never be replaced.

A slot wr should never be 'the guy' if Parker cant step up, find someone with a similar skillset to replace him.

6. Blackcreekbandit

Blackcreekbandit Derek Jeter sits when he pees Finheaven VIP Donator

And tyrod /Mayfield won't need a blanket??

7. lurking

lurking FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I think he's mad that Ryan took his blankey away. My daughters used to throw a tantrum when I would take there blankey away.

kevphin, NBP81, Buddy and 2 others like this.
  8. FSU Truth

FSU Truth Taggart is my Homeboy Finheaven VIP

I think Jarvis is getting salty because not fans were not broken up because he left. Landry plays with a high intensity and fights for yards and I will miss that, but I don’t think he does so mich his production can be made up in a number of ways.

9. 67Stang

67Stang FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Any one who actually watches this team will understand a few things. Through all of the head coaches and OC's since Tannehill came in to the league, including before Jarvis even got there.....the Offense has had to be simplified almost every year including last year and it has had NOTHING to do with the QB and everything to do with OL protection which has been an issue EVERY YEAR since 2012, to include last year. When your offense is simplified and majority of passes must get out in 2.5 seconds or less, Jarvis Landry is going to get a lot of passes thrown his way as he is quick to initially get open. Landry's TD's went up last year and Gase said Landry was specifically targeted last year to try to get more TD opportunities, how ever his YPC went WAAAAAAAAYYYYY down without Tannehill. So if he was anyone's security blanket, it was Cutlers. Tannehill was also a league leader in 2016 with passes traveling over 20 yards in the air before he got hurt and he has always been a good intermediate passer, his long ball has just got better over the last few years. Landry is a great possession/slot receiver and has a nose for the endzone when he catches some of those passes........what he isn't and never will be is a guy who can create separation consistently to be a #1 down field receiver. He is too slow and lacks size. If anything the QB's including Tannehill who threw to him in Miami have been his security blanket, allowing him to have a crap load of receptions....so he should be thankful.

Bottom line though is Landry is not a complete receiver and Tyrod, Mayfield, or any other QB are not going to make him anything we have not already seen. He may put up similar numbers with Tyrod as he does not throw deep a lot and does not take a lot of chances....so I wonder if he will be his security blanket, which I would find funny as hell for the 1 trick overpaid pony who needs to keep his mouth shut and just play football!

10. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan Donator

I agree on that but our check down, or “blanket” has caught 100 balls every year for the past 4.

11. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I thought Miami signed Michael Jackson's son Blanket.

Buddy and Dajesus like this.
  12. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater Not Quite A Shredder Finheaven VIP

It seems to me we did take shots downfield with him in recent years, it just rarely worked. He was never a good deep threat.

13. LoneStarPhin

LoneStarPhin FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

see 67 Stang's response as to why we threw short passes.

14. Anvil35

Anvil35 Leave Users Titles Alone!! Finheaven VIP Donator

Remind me why we are talking about a player that isnt a Dolphin?!

John Biello, Birdmond and fins1 like this.
  15. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy...and let it fly." Finheaven VIP Donator

Hard to get broken up over a slot receiver demanding top 5 money. Yeah, I know he got it...just glad it wasn't us who gave it to him.

Anvil35 and russst like this.