Bolts may keep Brees,Trade Rivers. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bolts may keep Brees,Trade Rivers.

fish2004 said:
Call me loco but I have this funny feeling that we are going to get Rivers. I have absolutely no basis as to why but just a feeling.
The problem with that is the Chargers would take a MASSIVE hit on the salary cap. its not going to happen.

Agree SD won't let go of Rivers for salary cap reasons for just one first rounder even if they have the cap room. Would take much more: at least 2 first (or a first, Surtain, & a 2nd) plus a lot of cash getting some of their 18 million back.

Big question, why is Brees considered a free agent next year? Checked the players associations site and he's listed as under contract in 2005 ($640,000) and 2006 ($720,000). Is there an huge Griese type bonus coming due or player option? If there isn't the Bolts shouldn't give up either unless they get a really big offer.

L.T.21 said:
Fix your O-Line!!! Brees, Rivers, Marino, or Montana will struggle with that line!

F I X T H E L I N E + RB + NEW COACH = MORE WINS WITH FEELEY or ________.

Hey LT you mind starting another thread and calling it football 101 and give some of these guys a lesson?

I'm sorry but people are crazy if you think Miami is bringing in a high priced FA QB or drafting a QB in R1 or sending a high pick to get a QB. It IS NOT HAPPENING. There are FAR too many holes elsewhere to waste money that we don't have, or picks, when there are other holes, on a QB.

I'm sorry Boomer but you're wrong. Our personnel department has concentrated on "filling holes" for far too long and this is where it has gotten us. The problem with filling holes is new ones tend to appear faster than you can fill the old ones. We were supposed to be filling a hole on the OL with Vernon Carey, Jeno James, Damion McIntosh, and John St. Clair...plus allowing Seth McKinney and Wade Smith to return. What we did, is just dig ourselves deeper.

You START by getting good football players. Right now we're not close enough to look at this offseason and say, ok how do we fill all our holes and make this team go from zero to hero in one offseason? We've been making that mistake every offseason and it has just slid further and further.

If we have the #1 draft pick in the NFL draft you have a rare opportunity to use it on a guy who could become a pillar for your team for years. You have to take that chance...and this team needs a QB real bad. Runningbacks are a dime a dozen if you get a good offensive system and especially if you have a good QB.

Would I like to have a pillar man the left side of the offensive line for the next 10 years and keep whichever QB's shirt we have playing nice and clean? I'd love it. But you need both, and right now I would say having the #1 pick in the draft gives us a better shot at picking up a stud QB than a stud LT...especially with Winston from UM not likely to come out after suffering an injury.

Eshlemon said:
Big question, why is Brees considered a free agent next year? Checked the players associations site and he's listed as under contract in 2005 ($640,000) and 2006 ($720,000). Is there an huge Griese type bonus coming due or player option? If there isn't the Bolts shouldn't give up either unless they get a really big offer.
Brees will be a FA, unless tagged. His contract voids after this year (probably for reaching certain performance parameters).

LIQUID24 said:
Brees will be a FA, unless tagged. His contract voids after this year (probably for reaching certain performance parameters).

Thanks Liquid. Love the Avatar, Family Guy rules.

How has Rivers been doin? Any good word coming out if the camps. He might be better than all the QB's coming out of the draft.

I'm gonna root for Feeley for the rest of the season. Yes he will throw a few pics along the way, but he can help this team if he shows some promise (1 less area to address). We know he has a stronger arm so that helps. He needs to get some snaps under his belt to get familiar with the system and the receivers he has to work with. I don't see the point in booing him everytime he throws a pic. :confused: Our season is done; let's just support him and see what he can bring to the table. Maybe without the constant pressure from the fans he will have some 'breathing room'.

DA DICK said:
How has Rivers been doin? Any good word coming out if the camps. He might be better than all the QB's coming out of the draft.
The vets have been saying that he is the most impressive rookie and that is saying something considering we have rookies making some serious positive contributions (starting DE, RT, C, and K). I don't think our offense will skip a beat next year with Rivers. We have the pieces in place for him to succeed (and will get better in the draft) much like Culpepper did right away in his second year.

I also seriously doubt Brees would even want to go to MIA even if you threw a truckload of cash at him. He can see your OL and does not care for Mr Boston at all.

If San Diego were to franchise Brees, and no one was interested in paying that much for him so San Diego was forced to cut him before the season, would the Phins get first crack at him if they finish with the worst record in the league?

dolphan98 said:
If San Diego were to franchise Brees, and no one was interested in paying that much for him so San Diego was forced to cut him before the season, would the Phins get first crack at him if they finish with the worst record in the league?

If the franchise him, it will cost them 9 Million!

Boomer said:
I'm sorry but people are crazy if you think Miami is bringing in a high priced FA QB or drafting a QB in R1 or sending a high pick to get a QB. It IS NOT HAPPENING. There are FAR too many holes elsewhere to waste money that we don't have, or picks, when there are other holes, on a QB.
While I agree with your logic completely, you are completely wrong. THe bottom line to an owner is fans in the seats. We have ZERO players who can put fans in the seats, the best way to do that is to bring in either thru draft/FA a big name player to give fans hope. Only 2 positions do that : QB and RB.

This Is Were We Trade A D Back For Rivers .and Keep Are 1st.trade Down Are 1st And Pick Up A Second.watch The Philly Game They Need A Power Back--ricky For Are 2nd Back.now We Have Rivers, A 1st----2-2nds And A3rd.

For the love of God and everything Holy - get off of the Rivers trip.

The Chargers would take a HUGE ($40 Million Contract) CAP hit next year of they trade Rivers. The Chargers have already stated that they WILL NOT TRADE PR (Mighty1090 AM Radio Interview)!

BigFinFan said:
If the franchise him, it will cost them 9 Million!

I thought frachised players contracts were not guaranteed? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought if San Diego franchised Brees then cut him before the season, they would be off the hook.

Back
Top Bottom