Boomer - Cutler a Stretch @ 15? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer - Cutler a Stretch @ 15?

ckparrothead said:
And btw that article is CLASSIC Peyton Manning syndrome stuff.

He acknowledged some good, STINGING criticisms of Cutler, yet just disregards Leinart's body of work and focuses on the talents next to each other on tape.

Focus on Peyton Manning on tape with the Colts and, say, his brother Eli Manning with the Giants...disregard Peyton's body of work, and you'd probably come away thinking Eli is the better QB. More natural talent, less to work with, etc.

It is what happens when you're at the top for a while. Familiarity breeds contempt. Peyton Manning was so good so long at Tennessee he suffered from the same stuff when he and Ryan Leaf were coming out. There was a BIG controversy over which QB should have gone first.

Cutler is a nice prospect, but that throwing off the back foot crap is NOT going to cut it in the NFL, I don't care what kind of arm or accuracy you've got, and he does it so often that you have to wonder if it is a habit you are ever really going to get him to break. Then you have to wonder what kind of offense you're going to put him in. Are you going to put him in a gunslinging offense like ours where you'll have to count on his self-discipline to not have him throwing off the back foot and using bad mechanics, or are you going to toss him into a WCO that relies heavily on rhythm, timing, and mechanics to get him to stay disciplined. Remember, Favre succeeded best in the WCO.

Speaking of Peyton, in my opinion what makes him so good is his intelligence and love for the game. That Zach Thomas type mentality of watching film and studying opponents so they know their every tendency. Then the willingness to put in the extra time working with his receivers. How many times during games have you hear announcers say Peyton is like having a offensive coordinator on the field?

So, after reading the Herald article last week on this year's rookies and most of their above average intelligence how can we not assume that coach Saban will be looking for this type of "cerebral" qb? I don't really follow college ball so I am asking which of the guys mentioned as possibilities in the draft match this criteria?

Bellson said:
interesting... but yet another cutler post. I'm still a little hesistant on this guy. Been getting the same sort of hype A. Smith got last year, man did I know he was going to be a bust. I know Alex Smith was only a rookie this year but he'll be the next Ryan Leaf.

That's an ingenious assessment. Thank you Ms. Cleo.

Wondering if you would have thought the same if he was the Fins pic in the draft.

Bellson said:
interesting... but yet another cutler post. I'm still a little hesistant on this guy. Been getting the same sort of hype A. Smith got last year, man did I know he was going to be a bust. I know Alex Smith was only a rookie this year but he'll be the next Ryan Leaf.

There is absolutely no comparison between Smith and Cutler.

BlueFin said:
I was saying this kid will be a first rounder when many here said he was a second rounder at best.

+1

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Just a feeling, but after workouts and the Combine, If he comes out, Omar Jacobs jumps over Cutler.

PS

I'm not saying he will be better.

No way, Cutler has a stronger arm and played in a pro style offense, he has a huge edge over Jacobs.

if he is there at 15 and Greenway is off the board we have to take Cutler

Becks7 said:

If he's there at 15 we take him, period.

SpeedRush99 said:
There is absolutely no comparison between Smith and Cutler.
not true. cutler played in an option-based offense most of his collegiate career. not as gimmicky as urban meyer's at utah, but similar in that they both are hinderances to pro QBs. they're also both big guys with nice mobility. the arm strength is a lot different, though

kastofsna120 said:
not true. cutler played in an option-based offense most of his collegiate career. not as gimmicky as urban meyer's at utah, but similar in that they both are hinderances to pro QBs. they're also both big guys with nice mobility. the arm strength is a lot different, though

That was my main point. Not to mention Cutler had his best year this year in the new, pro-style offense.

this cutler kid has tons of talent and reminds me of a Big-Ben, already draft talk in December,

No hes not a stretch, Vince is staying trust me, Matt will be gone Jacobs late first early second, MARK THIS WRITE IT DOWN, OMAR JACOBS WILL NOT BE A FIN

First point, how is Alex Smith like Ryan Leaf?? I hear some odd things on this website, but that's one of the odder ones.

Cutler's final position will certainly be a lot clearer come the evening before the Senior Bowl, once he's had a week of practices. A good arm, but an erratic deep ball, his mechanics disappear too often at the moment for me, but with a good week in front of the scouts in Mobile and I see no reason why he couldn't get to the 15 spot.

We shall see.

Very interesting to see Frank Coyle have Vince Young as the #3 overall prospect in this years draft behind Bush and Leinart. Despite the connection to Coyle, he knows his stuff and then some.

Becks7 said:

Chad's a superb linebacker but there are other players who would rank eyually as high and it all depends on how Nick's board is stacked.

Should be a fun time.

Speaking of Coyle what do you think of Brody Croyle Boom?

Back
Top Bottom