Brad Johnson to Miami???? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brad Johnson to Miami????

Not the Bills, thats for sure

Originally posted by bills711
Who actually likes Fiedler

What's Jay Fiedler's recored against the Bills anyhow Billsfan?

Hehehehe...... I'll show you. :evil:

hell i'd rather have troy aikman out of retirement than brad johnson

I talk so much **** about Rob Johnson and Brad Johnson. If either of them somehow lands with us............................

Originally posted by BMarion31
I was just over at the Dolphin Digest board, and I read a post by that moron KB21......

He said that John Gruden is seriously considering releasing Brad Johnson and going with Shaun King as the starter and Rob Johnson as the backup. He then said that Brad Johnson would most likely end up here, as a backup to Jay Fiedler, due to Norv's influence. He then predicted Brad would be the starter in a couple weeks because we all know how much he loves Jay. DCH or Ozzy, is there any truth to this or is KB21 going on with his know-it-all ramblings again?

An interesting sidenote, he said that "mobile QB's" are a fad and no team will ever win a Superbowl with one. Just food for thought....

I herd of BJ being released a couple of times after last season ended because he does not fit Grudens system very well.

But how someone can speculate where he would end up is beyond me, especially when he would instantly be the best available Qb on the market. And I really doubt Miami could, or would want to, pay him what he might demand.

Personally I'll go on record once again that I think Brad Jonhson is very a overrated Qb...............

I would have to second that. Keith Box in my experience is most often WAAAAAAAAAYYY off. I don't know about his "inside" source credibility, meaning whether he's just a complete BSer or what, but I don't take his word for truth at all.

That said, if we're not happy with Ray Lucas which is a very distinct possibility, and if the Bucs release BJ, I could definitely see us picking him up late in the offseason as a backup that already knows Norv's system. I'm not sayin it will happen, or that it makes a WHOLE lot of sense salary-wise even, but I know this. Wanny would be absolutely against it because Ray is popular in the locker room and because generally Wannstedt is very anal about being prepared ULTRA-EARLY for the season and he would not be comfortable that BJ could come in halfway through training camp and be our primary backup QB. But if Norv is for it, Wannstedt will give in to Norv. Norv was both the reason Cade was not released a long time ago, and the reason he was traded to SF.

I was thinking the same thing Ozzy. If he were to be released, I know the Bengals would be the first in line offering him starter money. Carolina would probably be in the mix too. I have no doubt in my mind he would want to start wherever he went, but Norv's influence would atleast have Miami on his radar. If he were cut, my guess is he would end up with the Bengals. His steady play would make them a very dangerous team.....

Heh KB. Same guy who said the Titans were going to hire him as a scout and you had to ask if there was any truth in his statements? lmao

Yea, I remember that. If he thinks scrambling quarterbacks are a fad and all QBs need a strong arm, why would the Titans even take a second out of there day to look at him. Hell, they wouldn't even piss on him after he said that, seeing as that McNair is a scrambling QB. What a crock of sh*t.......

Last edited by a moderator:
No way TB can release Brad Johnson right now. He probably has a huge cap #. That makes as much sense as releasing Keyshawn cap-wise.

TB is in a win now mode. If they dont make it this season, they will be hard pressed to make it after next offseasons cap cuts. Releasing Brad Johnson is incredibly foolish at this point.

Good point jax. I don't know the spedifics of his contract, but I wonder if it is similar to Fiedler's contract in that the first few years are low salary? If thats the case, then releasing him would not be out of the question. Besides, its past June 1, if there is a hit, it would be spread out over this year and next. The bigger question, I think, is that if Gruden is dumb enough to do it? I doubt it. If Brad doesn't start for that team, he would probably be the most solid backup in the league. Besides, you can never have too many good QB's.....

Actually its the other way around. High salary in the first couple of seasons would give incentive to cut him because then you won't take much of a cap hit. If BJ got cut, the rest of his bonus would get accelerated and count against the cap. If he had a high base salary then the savings from not having to pay his base salary would probably outweigh the accelerated bonus and the team would be able to break even against the cap or maybe even have a net savings against the cap. If his base salary is low then the team doesn't save much in base salary when they cut the guy and the accelerated bonus makes the team actually LOSE money against the cap if they cut the player.

Hah. Well I guess on the outset it looks complicated but just remember this.

Any money that a player actually receives counts against the salary cap. So this means that when a player gets that huge @ss $8 million signing bonus as soon as he signs on the dotted line? It HAS to be counted against the teams salary cap. But because of the agreement, a team is allowed to space out the hit from that money it paid out over a period of years AS LONG AS THE PLAYER IS STILL WITH THE TEAM.

If the player is no longer with the team, then whatever part of the signing bonus that has not yet been counted against the team's salary cap, has to be "accelerated" which means it just counts immediately against the cap.

So say that Player A signs an $8 million dollar signing bonus contract for 8 years. Team A who has signed Player A, is legally obigated to count that signing bonus against their salary cap no matter WHAT happens to the player (cut, traded, jail, dead). But the team can count that signing bonus $1 million at a time every year for the next 8 years so long as the player is still with the team. So say 2 years have gone by, that means $2 million of the $8 million signing bonus has been counted against the salary cap. But say the team cuts him. Well, uh oh. He still has $6 million of that signing bonus completely uncounted against the salary cap and now he's no longer with the team. So the $1 million dollar salary cap figure for the year from his signing bonus all the sudden goes to $6 million dollars....and now the team doesn't even have the player.

From there its easy to see what goes on when you add base salaries to the signing bonus. Just remember that you only have to count what you've ALREADY paid the player. So if Player A is scheduled to make a base salary of $2 million this year then his total salary cap figure = $1 million from the Signing Bonus proration, and $2 million in base salary. If the team cuts the player, then they no longer have to count that $2 million in base salary against the salary cap. WOOHOO! But Team A DOES have to accelerate the rest of the bonus against the cap....bummer. So by cutting the player Team A would have a $6 million cap figure for the year for that player as opposed to a $3 million cap figure for the year for that player if he was still on the roster. Thats not quite as big a difference as going from $1 million to $6 million, like before we added a base salary to the picture. Which is why I was saying that if BJ's base salary was small it would actually be LESS incentive to cut him because cutting the player hurts more.

That all said, I see every reason for Brian Billick to make a huge run at BJ as opposed to the Phins and Norv Turner, should BJ get cut by the Bucs (which is far fetched in the first place)

Back
Top Bottom