Brad Johnson to Miami???? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brad Johnson to Miami????

Thanks Bro, it makes a little more sense now. Does anyone know the specifics of his contract? I totally forgot about Brian Billick. I just read an article saying that Redmond and Blake were both look very unimpressive, so if Brad were to be released, Billick would probably make a run at him too, just as ckparrothead said. It sucks for the Ravens though cuz they won't have the cap room to make a legitamate push at him. On an interesting sidenote, the guys over at the Dolphin Digest board, especially KB21, are convinced that Brad Johnson is going to be released, that the 'Fins will sign him, and he will be the starter on opening day......

KB knows a hell of a lot more then any of you morons do that's for certain.

I'd take Brad Johnson over Limpwrist anyday. Heck I'd take Jimmy Johnson over Fiedler.

Here's some answers

Last year, Brad Johnson signed with the Bucs (who outbid Baltimore). Here's a few tidbits of his contract.

5-year, $28 million contract
$6.5 million signing bonus

Nearly half the contract is paid in the first two years.

2001 - $750K salary
2002 - $3.5 million salary, $2 million roster bonus.
2003 - $4.5 million salary,
2004 - $4 million salary,
2005 - $6 million salary

Again, I don't believe that Johnson will be in Tampa in 2003. He doesn't fit the offense. And now we see that his contract was pretty "up front" with the bonus money (because nearly half the contract's total value is paid in the first two years). So after this year, it looks like they'll be okay with letting him go.

BTW - I've hit a Bucs MB to see if I can get exact figures. So we'll see.

Originally posted by Iron Man
KB knows a hell of a lot more then any of you morons do that's for certain.

You sound a lot like him. Hmm.....are you?? Or are you just his little worshipper.

87....isn't there a rule against bringing smack into the main forum?
Can we ban this iron man now? He is NOT a DOLPHINS fan and he is just posting inflammatory crap to get attention, so please give him some

CK ParrotDude

That was a Fantastic explanation of the cap!!!! Not unlike BMarion, I was totally confused by the whole situation... I've seen explanations before, but yours was the first that really made sense to me... Thanks Man! :cool:

Interesting, so it isn't all that unlikely that he would get released then is it? I wonder if Cincinnati is watching this situation. I'd take Fiedler over Brad Johnson though. Brad may know the offense, but Jay is a very smart guy and should have the offense going by the season opener, or a game or 2 afterwards. Plus Jay has something that would take Brad a good year to aquire, which is chemistry with the other offensive players.....

Well from what I can tell from the numbers that were just posted on BJ's contract the Bucs would actually save some money if they cut him.

6.5 million signing bonus split up over 5 years is 1.1 million per year. He played 1 year already so that means there's 5.4 million that hasn't been counted against the cap yet. Its after June 1st so that 5.4 million hit can be divided half this year half next year, so it would be a 2.7 million dollar acceleration against the cap this year and his base salary I think he said is 3 million, so the Bucs would save a total of 300k by cutting BJ. Of course this also depends on when the roster bonus is due to be paid, and whether that roster bonus is counted in the 3 million base salary for 2002. If the roster bonus hasn't been paid and BJ doesn't look like he's going to win the starting job then I would say actually that its a LOCK that the Bucs will CUT him before the roster bonus must be paid...cuz its quite sizable at $2 million.

Pretty feasible to cut him actually considering what BJ's base salaries are for future seasons.

Back
Top Bottom