BREAKING NEWS: Lakers Acquire Pau Gasol | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

BREAKING NEWS: Lakers Acquire Pau Gasol

Guess I have an excuse to start watching the Lakers again... I had stopped after they traded Shaq... but could this move be a precurser to them moving Lamar Odom?

Guess I have an excuse to start watching the Lakers again... I had stopped after they traded Shaq... but could this move be a precurser to them moving Lamar Odom?

I was wondering that same thing. Where do you play Odom if Gasol's on the floor? But Odom at the 3 makes sense on a number of levels. First, having Odom at the 3 makes up for a lot of the rebounding they lose by moving Brown. Second, Odom's a pretty good passer, so moving Luke Walton to the bench won't hurt from that point of view. The only problem that I saw was defensive quickness, but again, subbing Odom for Walton isn't a bad tradeoff at that end, either. It's not like Walton's going to be any better at guarding quick 3s than Odom.

I think they can get by with Odom at the 3, Gasol at the 4 and Bynum/Turiaf at the 5. That's a team that should hold its own on the boards, especially with Kobe at the 2, since he's a better than average rebounder for a 2 guard. While Bynum's injured, they've got a nice small-ball lineup by moving either Gasol or Odom to center and putting Walton on the floor, too.

Great, great trade for LA. The Lakers are definitely a title contender now.

For Memphis...well, they got what they got. I'm not terribly impressed, but they've been trying to trade Gasol on and off for a year and a half, so you have to assume that no other offers were really blowing up their skirt. They got a decent prospect (Crittenton), a lottery ticket (M.Gasol), a big who can be a low-post force if the stars are favorably aligned (Brown), cap relief and a pair of first round picks. It's not a terrible deal, but you'd think they could do better.

jesus this thing came out of nowhere, i love it and imo kupchak absolutely ripped off the grizzlies in this one

btw i dont think Jerry West is still GM in memphis

You're right, he's not. It's Chris Wallace, better known to Boston fans as the guy who ran the franchise into the ground before Danny Ainge took over, made a bunch of moves that weren't terribly interconnected, and fell bass-ackwards into a great team.

we'll see how gasol fits...

Spoken like a true jealous Blazers fan.

You wanna know how I think people should judge trades? By your initial reaction and mine, as a Lakers fan was this:

<log onto yahoo and see Gasol headline>

SWEET!

Wait, what did we give up? Kwame, Crit and draft picks? Thats it?

DOUBLE SWEET!

This is a great deal for the Lakers. Kwame is NOT that great of a rebounder despite what some people in this thread have said. In fact, Kwame is only good at defense and his lack of offense actualy not only negates his defense, but outright makes him a vacuum of suck on the floor. The guy doesn't jam home easy dunks. Instead he tries to lay them up softly and all Laker fans would cringe as the rim would reject his feeble attempts.

He also happens to be injured about every other game. The guy just isn't worth it. The Lakers were gonna move him for a few reasons but one is because he is an expiring contract that wouldn't have helped L.A. this offseason (we were over the cap anyways) and more importantly, like I said before, L.A. is better off without him.

This also sends a clear message to Bynum that L.A. is planning on building around him. Section is right, the length on this team is simply amazing. Pau, Bynum, Lamar and Kobe make for great options all over the court and lengthy defenders on the other end.

Oh man, can you imagine the inside out game Bynum and Gasol can play with each other? Teams were starting to double and triple Andrew, now he can kick it to the baseline to Pau who can hit that little jumpshot or send it out to Lamar and Kobe who can beat their man off the dribble or simply pull up and let it fly. The offense will be fun to watch come March/April.

Don't get me wrong....I'm not trying to compare the two. Gasol just isn't known for his defensive or rebounding prowess. Of course you never know if he was just fed up with the situation in Memphis and stop trying. All I'm saying is that its not as one-sided a trade as its being made out to be. The Lakers gave up their future and there is no guarantee that this even gets them out of the West.

I fail to see how L.A. gave up their future. Kwame certainly wasn't the future. If he hadn't been traded, he would have been gone at the end of the year. The fact is, the only reason he was even playing right now was due to Bynum and Mihm's injuries. Heck Turiaf has been outplaying him night in and night out.

And J-Crit has some great moves, but he doesn't fit the Phil Jackson typical triangle offense for a point guard. Besides, Jordan Farmar is still on the team, playing PG and playing it well.

The future lies with Farmar, Bynum, Turiaf etc. All those guys are still in L.A. along with the heavy hitters like KOBE, Lamar and now Pau.

Side note: I thought the gap in rebound rate between Gasol and Brown was pretty big. It's actually not: Brown averages 10.3 boards per 40 minutes, and Gasol 9.5. It's a difference, but not nearly as significant as I first thought.

pau gasol = poor mans dirk .....lakers move a lot of dead weight and get rid of the worst decision michael jordan ever made (kwame as a #1 pick)

pau gasol = poor mans dirk .....lakers move a lot of dead weight and get rid of the worst decision michael jordan ever made (kwame as a #1 pick)

Best. Summary. Ever. Think about this. Kwame was not only a #1 pick, but he was also traded for Caron Butler and now Pau Gasol. Thus proving that if you are a big tall guy, you two can find work in the NBA (and for millions of dollars).

Funny that MARC Gasol was used as trade bait to get his older, more talented brother to L.A.

It would have been cool to see them suit up next to each other, but I will get over it somehow, some way. :lol:

Hey, be fair to Kwame; he's no more than the second worst decision Michael Jordan ever made.
jordan_baseball_2-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom