BREAKING NEWS: Stan Van Gundy is expected to step down | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

BREAKING NEWS: Stan Van Gundy is expected to step down

That Press Conference was wack....

He said it was for his family...I really do not believe it...

This is the kiss of death for the Heat guys. As Muck and I once discussed, this is bad karma and will come back to bite hard imo.

I actually believe Stan Van Gundy. However he wouldn't have felt so inclined to step down if the Heat were 19-2. Stan is a very stubborn guy. If he was fired, he would've taken his money and gone elsewhere. Riley said that he was trying to get him to stay for weeks and there were plenty of tears at the press conference.

TerryTate said:
I actually believe Stan Van Gundy. However he wouldn't have felt so inclined to step down if the Heat were 19-2. Stan is a very stubborn guy. If he was fired, he would've taken his money and gone elsewhere. Riley said that he was trying to get him to stay for weeks and there were plenty of tears at the press conference.

I honestly believe the man. I also believe the time line they gave us all to swallow. I'm not sure we as fans can really go with anything else than that until further evidence is found out, if ever found out.

For me I'm just glad Riley is back behind the wheel.

TerryTate said:

Yeah, also, Van Gundy will be staying with the organization. He is only resigning from the head coaching job, not the team. He would've only seen his family 49 days out of 170 days. So the "family" thing makes sense.

TerryTate said:

Come on Terry, the family excuse was as weak as you can get. All of a sudden after all these years coaching and finally having an opportunity to be a HC and he wants to spend more time w/ his family? This was a firing but they told him he could save face and resign.

TerryTate said:
Watch the press conference Junc....it's pretty sincere. It's on the heat website.

I'll see the highlights tonight, I don't care how sincere it is I will never buy that excuse.

I don't think this was firing...yet. I think Stan started to feel pressue and said forget it. If the Heat continued to play the way they have then I think Stan was going to get fired but I don't think him leaving today was him being fired, it was him knowing he would get fired if the team kept playing the way it did so he decided to quit the job now rather then get fired later!

nyjunc said:
I'll see the highlights tonight, I don't care how sincere it is I will never buy that excuse.

Take the time to watch the PC, it makes a difference. I know what it's like to pick pieces of PCs for a news show. You need to absorb this in full context to make a better opinion.

If Riley forced him out, I would have a hard time believing how loyal stan was to pat if this was the case even today. At times they were fighting back tears.

this is breaking news? I've known Van Gundy would step down at the first sign of trouble since last June

nyjunc said:
Come on Terry, the family excuse was as weak as you can get. All of a sudden after all these years coaching and finally having an opportunity to be a HC and he wants to spend more time w/ his family? This was a firing but they told him he could save face and resign.

Dude if you cant buy someone realizing finally that family is a hundred times more important then a job, you have the problem not stan. A job is cool and all. And yes we need to work to survive. And yes a NBA head coach is great but nothing and i mean nothing is more important then family. One day when your (general term) on your deathbed, and you look up and see that your boss aint there to hold your hand or your money aint either. You will look up to see a family member. Most likely his kids. Money comes and goes, jobs as well. I credit the man for realizing whats more important in life.

I was expecting the All-Star break or something, but I am extremely happy about this. Stan's a great guy and a good coach. However, he gets OUTCOACHED too often for my liking, and a fine example would be the series against Detroit last year.

I wish this happened 21 games earlier......

I really can't believe that this happened. I believe the story they're saying. I think the team just got a lot better because of this, and some of the guys on the team(Shaq, Mourning) are probably happier with Pat on the sidelines. We'll see how this turns out, but I think it's a step forward.

Whatsdatson20 said:
Dude if you cant buy someone realizing finally that family is a hundred times more important then a job, you have the problem not stan. A job is cool and all. And yes we need to work to survive. And yes a NBA head coach is great but nothing and i mean nothing is more important then family. One day when your (general term) on your deathbed, and you look up and see that your boss aint there to hold your hand or your money aint either. You will look up to see a family member. Most likely his kids. Money comes and goes, jobs as well. I credit the man for realizing whats more important in life.

This is Public Relations 101: Hide behind the family. It's a convenient excuse and no one will dare call you on it. And sometimes, people will wax poetic on your behalf, calling your decision "noble" and "admirable".

If you can't tell, I don't believe for a second that SVG stepped down voluntarily and no amount of crocodile tears will convince me otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom