Breaking news | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Breaking news

PhinKev said:
It is true that a CBA can have unenforceable provisions, but this is not one of them. We are not talking about a suspect class. There are many occupations with age based restrictions.

Regardless, the appellate court tipped its hand by staying the district court and it is unlikely that Clarett will win at the Circuit Court. Further, the chances of the Supreme Court hearing this case are very long.

Bottom line, if you are a betting man, the NFL is a good bet right now.

Oh, I agree. That was the point I was making last night in another thread. Traditionally, professional sports groups are given large deferrence with regard to their internal operating restrictions vis a' vis anti-trust laws.

KBISBACK said:
Clarett and Williams will likely have to go to the CFL and play for a year much like Tamarick Vanover did after leaving Florida State as a sophomore. They will then be eligible to go through the draft process next year.

Wasn't ESPN reporting that one of the NFL's argument's against Clarett was that he (and Williams) would be available in a supplemental draft, therefore they wouldn't be TOTALLY shut out?

If that is the case, they could still play in the NFL this year and I doubt they would go to Canada.

Maybe Clarett will go back to his home town and play 1-aa ball at Youngstown State for a year.

If they go to the CFL for a year, would they be eligible to be signed outright the following year, or would they have to go through the whole draft process? It seems to me that they would already be a pro ball player so they couldn't go through the amateur draft could they? This whole thing has opened a can of worms.

As for allowign these guys back to amateur status, I say no. I agree that they knew the risks and chose to roll the dice. The NCAA needs to stand pat and tell them they need to play eslewhere.

Milstein had argued in a filing with Ginsburg that the player would "suffer substantial irreparable injury" if he was not allowed in the draft.

Huh? What is the cry baby criminal going to slice his wrists or something?

The issue with Mike Williams is a bit different than with Maurice Clarett. Williams didn't enter the NFL draft until after the lower court judge threw out the 3-year rule and the NFL called Williams to see if he was interested in declaring. Given that set of circumstances, the NCAA has indicated that it might be willing to work with Williams to get his eligibility back this fall. But realistically, I think Clarett and Williams might want to stock up on their Under Armour because I've got a feeling that it's going to be excruciatingly cold where they'll be playing this fall. Edmonton, anyone?

Chris Mortensen On Espn

he was just on PTI for 5 good minutes, saying he wouldnt be surprised if the chargers selected Philip RIvers first overall. This is crazy, number 1: how could Rivers have risen this far(before Senior Bowl Kiper jr. had him in the 2nd rd), and two why wouldn't they trade down for ANYTHING they could get and still take Rivers while receiving additional picks? Theoretically, if they traded down 5 spots and only asked for a 7th rder, they would still be getting better value because they can still choose Rivers while gaining more picks. RIvers 1st overall is ludicrous. Archie is showing Eli just how to be a soft (baby-like) qb like Peyton... congrats...

Hopefull someone in Canada will hit him hard enough to bring him to his senses.Dolfanreal69

Back
Top Bottom