Breida: "Aint Nobody In The NFL Faster Than me" | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Breida: "Aint Nobody In The NFL Faster Than me"

looking forward to seeing our running game this year with the new guys. Just hope the Oline will give them a chance up front.

Yall really think grant is faster?
I think grant takes a lot of room to hit top speed..
Tyreek gets to top speed faster than anybody
Briedas top speed is faster than everyones?

I think he might have a different opinion if he got into a race with Hill, John Ross, and Grant. If Grant is 100% from his hip injury it wouldn’t surprise me if he finished last.

I look forward to Matt Breida's first footrace against Jakeem Grant ... and the look on Breida's face when he realizes he's not even the fastest guy on his own team.

Allegedly, that race is in the works. Breida made mention of it during a virtual conference call with the media recently.

Allegedly, that race is in the works. Breida made mention of it during a virtual conference call with the media recently.
Excellent! I can't wait to hear the .... 'judicious' ... descriptions that do not declare a winner because the starter (Breida) lost to the roster-bubble guy (Grant), much the way Albert Wilson lost to Grant last year. And on that note ... it is unfortunate that we will not see Wilson in that race as well. I honestly don't know who would be faster between Breida and Wilson.

I look forward to Matt Breida's first footrace against Jakeem Grant ... and the look on Breida's face when he realizes he's not even the fastest guy on his own team.
He can loose all the 40 yard dashes he runs. Until somone shows they can run faster on the football field, with pads on, he holds the title.

Football and track...not the same thing.

He can loose all the 40 yard dashes he runs. Until somone shows they can run faster on the football field, with pads on, he holds the title.

Football and track...not the same thing.
I'm a firm believer in that one, because track speed and pad speed are different things. But still, I doubt the NFL even qualified Jakeem Grant for that competition because he probably didn't meet the minimum snaps.

I'm a firm believer in that one, because track speed and pad speed are different things. But still, I doubt the NFL even qualified Jakeem Grant for that competition because he probably didn't meet the minimum snaps.
I'll be as happy as anyone if Grant takes that title next season.

Grant and Jakeem actually have the same 40 time. But Breida wasn't invited to the combine, so I'm assuming it was hand timed.

As good as Breida's 4.38 pro day time was, there's a very solid list of guys in the NFL that can beat him there.

But when you actually give this man the rock, they don't seem to be able to keep up.

This is why I don't fall in love with workout warriors. I want football players (*Curtis Weaver shout out).

Last edited:
I'll be as happy as anyone if Grant takes that title next season.

Grant and Jakeem actually have the same 40 time. But Breida wasn't invited to the combine, so I'm assuming it was hand timed.

As good as Breida's 4.38 pro day time was, there's a very solid list of guys in the NFL that can beat him there.

But when you actually give this man the rock, they don't seem to be able to keep up.

This is why I don't fall in love with workout warriors. I want football players.
I'm assuming you mean Grant and Breida.

Well Grant wasn't invited to the combine either, and his pro day posted a hand-timed 4.19 I believe, but others have timed it slower I believe. Nobody there had it as slow as 4.38 though. Jakeem Grant definitely runs the 40 under 4.3 most times. But as you have correctly pointed out, the 40 is not run in pads, and IMHO, the 40 is heavily skewed towards people with explosive starts moreso than people with higher end top gears. Even if Grant proves faster at the 40, and I'm confident he will, Breida could still win the NFL metric because he spends a lot more times running at top speed on sweeps and on chunk plays, especially when he was on the 49'ers. Grant is constantly hawked by a safety over the top, so he gets less opportunites for those chunk plays, but when he does get them, he can break them all the way. Different metric entirely, even above the quite significant difference of running in pads.

I'm assuming you mean Grant and Breida.

Well Grant wasn't invited to the combine either, and his pro day posted a hand-timed 4.19 I believe, but others have timed it slower I believe. Nobody there had it as slow as 4.38 though. Jakeem Grant definitely runs the 40 under 4.3 most times. But as you have correctly pointed out, the 40 is not run in pads, and IMHO, the 40 is heavily skewed towards people with explosive starts moreso than people with higher end top gears. Even if Grant proves faster at the 40, and I'm confident he will, Breida could still win the NFL metric because he spends a lot more times running at top speed on sweeps and on chunk plays, especially when he was on the 49'ers. Grant is constantly hawked by a safety over the top, so he gets less opportunites for those chunk plays, but when he does get them, he can break them all the way. Different metric entirely, even above the quite significant difference of running in pads.
Yeah, obviously that's what I meant. But too late to edit. The 40 time is pretty irrelevant to me because we've already seen Jakeem is lightning when he gets the ball.

His skills as a reciever in getting the ball are the only question. At his height he has to be better than everyone else. Even with his elite speed and agility, he needs to be damn near perfect in his routes and catch every ball in his radius.

I love underdogs, but he's about to turn 28 and has never broken 27 yards per game. I know he's been putting in crazy work this offseason, but it's pretty much make or break for him this year.

I hope he can do it cause I would love to see Tua hitting this guy perfectly in stride. If any QB can help turn Jakeem into a real weapon it's him. I think a breakout with Fitzpatrick (and his style) at the helm is probably less likely.

Yeah, obviously that's what I meant. But too late to edit. The 40 time is pretty irrelevant to me because we've already seen Jakeem is lightning when he gets the ball.

His skills as a reciever in getting the ball are the only question. At his height he has to be better than everyone else. Even with his elite speed and agility, he needs to be damn near perfect in his routes and catch every ball in his radius.

I love underdogs, but he's about to turn 28 and has never broken 27 yards per game. I know he's been putting in crazy work this offseason, but it's pretty much make or break for him this year.

I hope he can do it cause I would love to see Tua hitting this guy perfectly in stride. If any QB can help turn Jakeem into a real weapon it's him. I think a breakout with Fitzpatrick (and his style) at the helm is probably less likely.
Yeah, he has had trouble with 2 issues, and until he fixes those, he's never going to get the touches he needs to break through:

1) Ball security
He drops passes--which is actually OK in today's NFL because it's all about creating separation--but he sometimes bobbles them UP and causes interceptions or drops what would be long gains ... and those sting. He should be getting lots of touches as a punt/kick returner, but he likewise is having difficulty dropping the ball, and those fumbles are not tolerable. Being small, he also has small hands, and many believe that may be his problem ... and it's not really fixable. But if he can learn to keep his eye and hand discipline sound, I'm confident he can remedy that situation. Not sure he'll be given many more chances at the return duties though ... confidence has been lost and it is hard to regain. As for his WR duties, that's where he still has a shot. Elite speed is always given a 2nd, 3rd, and 500th chance, LOL.

2) Beating Press Coverage
To make it as a WR, he needs to prove he can consistently beat press coverage. He's lightning quick, but if a DB gets his hands on him, he's easily thrown off his route and the QB's timing is off and the window to throw to Grant is gone. As DC's design plays to get guys open, they need them to be where they are supposed to be at the exact moment they are supposed to be there, and that means beating press coverage. IF Jakeem can do that consistently, they'll give him targets even if he has trouble holding on to the ball. But, if he can prove his hands are good when he gets that chance, he'll probably also get a chance to compete at punt returns.

I'm a huge Jakeem Grant fan ... always have been. So, I'm obviously really rooting for the guy. But, as you've pointed out ... at 28 he needs to prove it, because he's far from a rookie any more, and this team is solidly in the youth movement swing.

Excellent! I can't wait to hear the .... 'judicious' ... descriptions that do not declare a winner because the starter (Breida) lost to the roster-bubble guy (Grant), much the way Albert Wilson lost to Grant last year. And on that note ... it is unfortunate that we will not see Wilson in that race as well. I honestly don't know who would be faster between Breida and Wilson.

I may have overstated a bit.

When I read the actual quote from Breida a while later, he said that Jakeem hasn’t spoken to him about a race yet but he expects that it will eventually happen.

Glad to have elite speed as potential starters on this team. It sure beats some of the slugs we have had trying to compete with some of the fastest people in the world.

Back
Top Bottom