Brett Favre press conference | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brett Favre press conference

Dern it MGD, don't be ruining their straw grabbing fest w/ petty little details like FACTS -- jeez I hate how facts always seem to get in the way....right DUDES???

You know, we could argue about this all week, but the fact is that is simply doesn't matter. Favre either will play or he won't. We won't know the answer until it is announced. I've never seen so much confusion surrounding one person's injury before. Sources saying the LCL is torn, some saying it is only a 1st degree sprain (no tear). I think I can sum up what is important with this:

jetborg-1.gif

WELL, this has been a fun thread to read on and on and on. BUT for your information as I work in a Military hopital every day with top noth DR's, a partially TORN MCL is in fact a sprain or a strain. I asked about it, and it's the same thing. It's just termanology. People (sports atheletes and Docs) try to make an injury sound a lot less serious than it really is. **NOTE** WEEDS, the comment you made about Emmitt Smith wasn't very necessary. He wanted the record, he got it, he deserved it. Barry Sanders would have broke it years ago, but Emmitt kept playing. Brett Favre's toughman act will catch up with him. If he play's this week, ya he's a toughman, but also a stupid one. Why risk further injury?? It's going to be a bit cold outside at night. Yeah something Favre has dealt with many times in the past, but not with a KNEE INJURY. Miami 27-17

I gotta say, if Favre ever has a meaningless game this season, its this one. I wonder why he would risk his season on a game with not only a non-divisional foe, but a non-conference foe, especially with something like 4 games on the next closest divisional team. If he is smart, he will realize this game isn't worth it and will sit. This coming from an unbiased fan of the game......

Originally posted by chambers84
WELL, this has been a fun thread to read on and on and on. BUT for your information as I work in a Military hopital every day with top noth DR's, a partially TORN MCL is in fact a sprain or a strain. I asked about it, and it's the same thing. It's just termanology. People (sports atheletes and Docs) try to make an injury sound a lot less serious than it really is. **NOTE** WEEDS, the comment you made about Emmitt Smith wasn't very necessary. He wanted the record, he got it, he deserved it. Barry Sanders would have broke it years ago, but Emmitt kept playing. Brett Favre's toughman act will catch up with him. If he play's this week, ya he's a toughman, but also a stupid one. Why risk further injury?? It's going to be a bit cold outside at night. Yeah something Favre has dealt with many times in the past, but not with a KNEE INJURY. Miami 27-17

First of all I will say it again, it was the LCL not the MCL. Two very different ligaments. If it was the MCL, I don't think there'd be a chance in hell Favre would play. Second yes, a tear to a ligament is a sprain, however a sprain is not necessarily a tear in a ligament. There are three degrees of a sprain. First degree, which is what Sherman reported that the doctors said of Favre, represents little to no stretching of the ligament, but inflamation. A second degree sprain is a partial tear of the ligament. A third degree sprain is a complete tear of the ligament. I can provide you with various medical sources on this if you do not believe me, or you can check at work if you'd like.

Also, it was I that made the comment about Emmitt Smith. I don't have a problem with him pursuing the record. What ticked me off was the fact that his team winning that day came second in his mind to getting the record. I get that from the post game interview where he was all smiles (despite the loss), told the reporter it was everything he could have imagined, and then only brought up the loss as an afterthought. Also, I don't think what I said about Emmit Smith is nearly as out of line as the numerous references to Favre's previous addiction to painkillers. BTW FinFan it may interest you to know that one, he cleaned up by his own decision and two, he doesn't even take painkillers for legitimate reasons anymore (its well documented that he even turned down painkillers after having his wisdom teeth removed).

As far as the stupidity of Favre playing this weekend, that's all conjecture and opinion. If it is a tear of his LCL it will take 8-10 months to heal. In other words, keeping him out an extra week will make little difference in the amount of risk of further injury. That is why he's wearing a brace. Also, since it is the LCL, it is the most minor of knee injuries. Since the LCL is on the outside of the knee it has the least role in knee stability of any of the four knee ligaments. In other words, the brace should do just as much to support the knee as a fully healthy LCL would. Again, I can provide medical sources for this information if you don't believe me.

This thread has gotten to the point of being rediculous, so I will let it drop. If you want those medical sources let me know, otherwise I'm done with this thread. I think we've all got better topics to waste our time on.

MGD, if that was in reference to me, I wasn't calling him stupid. If you read it, I'm saying this is the most meaningless game he'll have all season. Why risk further injury when going against a pass rush that is finally hitting on all cylinders? If I was Mike Sherman, I'd sit him. There are more important games for you all this season. I guarantee that the best team in the NFC will lose at least 4 games, so this one isn't as crucial as some would believe......

No, it was the post before yours that I was responding to. Chambers84 said Favre would be a stupid toughman if he played.

Yes MGD is correct ,it's his LCL that is strained, not a MCL or ACL tear.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Man, you guys are getting deep in here....no matter what the injury is called...Farve's hurt...is his knee progressing...we're know Monday...Farve's a gamer and will probably play...Is this particular game worth it..probaly not...but a real player wants to play every game..I don't blame Farve..but for the sake of the rest of the season,, if his knee is not fully functional to protect himself or can hurt himself by his own movement then he shouldn't play..I want to see him down the stretch doing his thing as only Bret can..But if he goes out like Trent did..I would have to question the coaching staff....But when your star wants to play it's a hard call....Whew, glad I don't have to make the call.

Tension building up here.... HERE ARE THE FACTS SO EVERYONE CAN CHILL!!!!

Favre has a sprained LCL and it might have a SLIGHT TEAR.....

Even if it does it will be healed in 6-8 weeks!!! He will be back to normal for the playoff run....

And about the streak, I heard today FROM MIKE SHERMAN in a press conference that THE STREAK HAS NO BEARING ON IF FAVRE PLAYS OR NOT!!!! IF HE IS NOT CAPABLE OF MOVING AROUND SUFFICIENTLY TO PROTECT HIMSELF, HE WILL NOT PLAY!!!!

Those are the facts!!!!!

I see some of our fellow Pack fans are edgemacating the Phin fans:) I will be disapointed if Favre cannot play this Monday but I think the chances of him sitting out this game will be crushed by his will to play. I am worried, though, about his mobility. Our o-line definitely need to step up if he does play. The man knows how to get away from the defenders but will his knee fail him? I don't thing the man had a single concussion in his career, but dont quote me on it. He will play. Dont underestimate the power of the Lambeu Field. By the way, its going to be cold, no indian summer here! Its going to be a great game. Go Pack!!!!!!

Favre DID work out yesterday. DID drop back, DID plant the foot and DID throw w/ no limitation to movement, forward or laterally.

He is going to play. End of story.

Incidentally Chambers, I am a fan of Emmitt Smith, always have been, always will be. I made no (count 'em ..... zero...none...nadda...zilch...sqaut...the big goose egg..) negative comments about Emmitt Smith, k? ...and if anyone could make negative comments about Emmitt Smith it would be Packer fan -- the guy made the Pack look like crap far too many times in a row.

He's a class act and I'm happy as can be for him.

Maybe Farve( I know how to sp it;) ) can take care of his knee on the sidelines while he's watching Ricky and the Dolphins chew up the clock with a dominating running game.....???????

Let's just all root for Favre to sit.Okay?It would be in the best interest of his knee, and our record.

Back
Top Bottom