Brian Griese | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brian Griese

DolphinzD

Boom!! How you like that??
Reaction score
Anyone feel a little sorry for this guy? Look at the situations he's been put in: first he was the QB to succeed John Elway in Denver, and after being run out of town there, he comes to Miami, where the shadow of Marino still lingers, and of course there's his Dad's legacy with the Dolphins as well. Talk about pressure!! And after 4 games and a 2-2 record (not sure how to count the Redskins game because he was the starter but the game was won with Fiedler at QB) he's pretty much gone here. Jay gets 4 years and Griese gets 4 games. I wonder who's going to pick him up in free agency?? If/when someone does, I sure hope he can enter a situation with less pressure on him. I wish him well.

No. Griese had 4 years in Denver as well with an Offensive line and receivers MUCH better then Miami's during the same time frame. He had his chance to show what he's about. It's unfortunate that expectations were perhaps a bit high for him considering what his dad did, but such is life. He's a big boy but his mental and physical skills just don't put him up to the upper echelon. Pressure or not, he will never perform in that upper level. And IMHO the 'pressure' as mentioned is probably felt even more so when NOT playing the game, i.e. the social expectations/pressure, whereas when playing the game and in the 'zone' you are only thinking about your current assignment, current play etc....not wondering what the city of Denver or Miami or some news reporter looking for a story is going to write.

Good riddance and may he prosper somewhere else or at least be able to stay in his profession as a backup role or whatever makes him happy as a person and a professional. It just won't be here.

He's got Dolphins blood in him. We can keep him as a decent backup, it's the least we can do for Bob Griese, who helped win the only Super Bowls of the franchise.

Originally posted by jbond
No. Griese had 4 years in Denver as well with an Offensive line and receivers MUCH better then Miami's during the same time frame. He had his chance to show what he's about. It's unfortunate that expectations were perhaps a bit high for him considering what his dad did, but such is life. He's a big boy but his mental and physical skills just don't put him up to the upper echelon. Pressure or not, he will never perform in that upper level. And IMHO the 'pressure' as mentioned is probably felt even more so when NOT playing the game, i.e. the social expectations/pressure, whereas when playing the game and in the 'zone' you are only thinking about your current assignment, current play etc....not wondering what the city of Denver or Miami or some news reporter looking for a story is going to write.

Good riddance and may he prosper somewhere else or at least be able to stay in his profession as a backup role or whatever makes him happy as a person and a professional. It just won't be here.

Mark Schlereth has said that Denver has always had a GREAT run blocking line and a BAD Pass blocking line.

Griese knew what he was getting himself into!!...Miami has both and he came here!!...SO NO!!....And i am a Griese fan too!!:(

I have often wondered how much Griese's toe injury bothered him this past season. Let's face it, without any sort of decent protection from the line, coupled with him not being the most mobile guy anyway, something like torn ligaments in the great toe could have certainly precluded any sort of realistic success.

Originally posted by Regan21286
He's got Dolphins blood in him. We can keep him as a decent backup, it's the least we can do for Bob Griese, who helped win the only Super Bowls of the franchise.
Welcome... to first graduate of the Wayne Huiezenga school of Personell Acquisition.....:lol:

Originally posted by inFINSible
Welcome... to first graduate of the Wayne Huiezenga school of Personell Acquisition.....:lol:

it's better than picking henson. who knows if he ditches football for baseball again

Originally posted by Regan21286

Yeah, having players on our team because their father was on the team is a great idea. :rolleyes:

I don't have a problem with having a player's son or relative if the player is good enough, but Griese was awful in his four starts and we should get rid of him.

Griese wasnt exactly awful...he just wasnt really starter caliber. I wouldnt be that opposed to bringing him back (with a HUGE paycut) as a vet backup.

Originally posted by FinFan4Life814
Griese wasnt exactly awful...he just wasnt really starter caliber. I wouldnt be that opposed to bringing him back (with a HUGE paycut) as a vet backup.

Or if we get a rookie QB, he can start while the newbie learns the ropes like the formerly mediocre Kitna (who had a Pro Bowl year) and Palmer.

Originally posted by jbond

but his passes are sooooo pretty:rolleyes:

In one of his seasons with Denver he had the 2nd highest QB rating in NFL history so at least he had one good year

Originally posted by Brad528
In one of his seasons with Denver he had the 2nd highest QB rating in NFL history so at least he had one good year

I gotta tell ya; Griese had Terrell Davis, Shannon Sharpe, Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey all in their primes that year, with the vaunted Denver OL to sit behind. He's not a bad QB, but he's also not starter material on a team that has Super Bowl aspirations (such as they are).

Back
Top Bottom