Brothers... it's gonna be tough to make this roster | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brothers... it's gonna be tough to make this roster

I'd been calling for a drafted RB for months, but a back with a specific skill-set-- blitz pick up and receiving.
Mostert and Wilson have never been very good at either... and even with added weight, Achane just probably isn't that guy.
Miami's success in the running game was mostly on 1st and 2nd downs when teams were legitimately confused as to whether we'd run or pass. On third and 8, we were pretty transparent.
I like Achane as a RB2 type... yes, his stats were excellent, but a lot of that was scheme driven... he ran through gaping holes and our linemen block well on the second level, giving him even more room. I like him on 1st down... I like him on limited snaps. I don't believe for an instant that he's a bell-cow. Like Mostert, I think he's a career RB2. Lightning.

Wright is bigger, he's a much better blocker, and he has the look of an outlet reciever where Achane is more of a swing pass guy.

I love, LOVE the Wright pick. I think it was EXACTLY what our offense needed in tight games.
I think you are right about this guy. On his tape once he's out in front noone catches him so he's another super fast athlete. Pass blocking and receiving will be strengths that get him on the field. If he is indeed an excellent outlet receiver and pass blocker I'm going to love this guy. Those plays should be safe, easy plays, almost like a hand off. Our offense needs an infusion of passes to RBs. If they start creeping up to stop it, BOOM, Reek and Waddel in the end zone.
The right TE or RB can really be a friend to your QB. They can act as security blankets when facing a tough pass rush. These short touch passes are not easy passes sometimes, they just look easy when it's Brees, Payton or Dan but it calls for quick decision making and the pass has to be perfect usually for the play to work. This is something the whole team has to work on. If the play is instantly diagnosed by the defense don't throw the ball because to begin with you get your receiver hammered hard without being able to defend himself, secondly the ball could be picked and thirdly if it's a backward pass like we saw sometimes last year it's a live football and can be recovered by the other team. Tyreek got hurt last season on one of these plays so honestly I'd rather run these plays with your speedy RB or one of the other fast receivers. There needs to be a way Tua can get off a call that's a definite loser and change the play.

I think you are right about this guy. On his tape once he's out in front noone catches him so he's another super fast athlete. Pass blocking and receiving will be strengths that get him on the field. If he is indeed an excellent outlet receiver and pass blocker I'm going to love this guy. Those plays should be safe, easy plays, almost like a hand off. Our offense needs an infusion of passes to RBs. If they start creeping up to stop it, BOOM, Reek and Waddel in the end zone.
The right TE or RB can really be a friend to your QB. They can act as security blankets when facing a tough pass rush. These short touch passes are not easy passes sometimes, they just look easy when it's Brees, Payton or Dan but it calls for quick decision making and the pass has to be perfect usually for the play to work. This is something the whole team has to work on. If the play is instantly diagnosed by the defense don't throw the ball because to begin with you get your receiver hammered hard without being able to defend himself, secondly the ball could be picked and thirdly if it's a backward pass like we saw sometimes last year it's a live football and can be recovered by the other team. Tyreek got hurt last season on one of these plays so honestly I'd rather run these plays with your speedy RB or one of the other fast receivers. There needs to be a way Tua can get off a call that's a definite loser and change the play.
"Dan" and "short touch passes" should never be used in the same sentence.

Absolutely agree with this.

If we can incorporate more play action into our offense, we'll keep the linebackers from drifting into the intermediate zones where Hill and Waddle thrive.

We couldn't do this with the RBs we had. They weren't good at it, so the defenses never respected it. We saw this late in the year when teams just flooded the intermediate zones and said, "beat us another way".

We couldn't.

But still......the question everyone has in the back of their minds this weekend.....what chance is there that Storm Duck makes the final roster?

HE HAS TO MAKE IT!
Was just about to post this. Don't really care who has to be bumped but ole Duck, Storm has to be a Dolphin.

I still worry about our depth in the secondary. Kohou is only serviceable and Cam Smith hasnt shown us anything yet. If we lose a starter in the secondary, it would make things very tough for us.

Also worried about WR depth, we have decent receivers behind Hill and Waddle, but they're slots guys that can be schemed open but they wouldnt be good perimiter players if Hill or Waddle were injured.
I'm curious to see how the defense looks with the former ravens defensive coach. May be that we play more to our guys strengths vs implementing a particular scheme

Yea WR depth is a concern, but whether healthy or not, the key to the offense this season should be spreading the ball around. Can't just be the T Hill show...

Absolutely agree with this.

If we can incorporate more play action into our offense, we'll keep the linebackers from drifting into the intermediate zones where Hill and Waddle thrive.

We couldn't do this with the RBs we had. They weren't good at it, so the defenses never respected it. We saw this late in the year when teams just flooded the intermediate zones and said, "beat us another way".

We couldn't.
We sure couldn't and it was tough to watch because we were supposed to be Ali in his prime. We were the Lambo outspeeding all opponents early on. When they started defending against what we were doing we never countered with an adjustment that forced the defense to change what they were doing. We should have started hitting on some shorter, quicker throws to the RB. We also MUST stay with the run when it is working. We went away from the run when we were slashing Buffalo for some unknown, unfathomable reason. Mostert is a bit streaky but in certain moments when he's feeling it the guy is tough as hell and fast so taking the ball out of his hands when he was rolling was crazy. He was dragging guys with him down the field!! You get the point. If we don't have to throw it and risk a sack or a pick, don't. Just keep killing them dead with your ground game. It's how Shula did it. Think like a Chess player, remember situational football at all times and don't beat yourself.

Hoping Brooks can do enough FB things that Miami moves on from Ingold. He's significantly worse than some of the guys that won't make it. Love the person - seems like such a good, nice guy. I view him as a net-negative player, though.
Where do you think Ingold needs to do better? Blocking? Receiving?
Who are some better players that will be cut so Ingold can be kept?

Where do you think Ingold needs to do better? Blocking? Receiving?
Who are some better players that will be cut so Ingold can be kept?
His blocking is fine, but we don't run many FB lead block power runs.

As a receiver he has shown to be below average, IMO, with a mere 13 receptions last season.

His best play has been in an H-back role, but that is redundant to the TE position.

My biggest issue is as a rushing threat. 10 carries for 17 yards. Defenses aren't dumb. They study tendencies. When he's on the field, he is not much of a threat to end up with the ball in his hands.

How he made the Pro Bowl is a mystery to me.

I should also say I like the guy. His Skillset and impact has been far less than advertised, though.

A player that I like on the Dolphins roster that usually gets dismissed as training camp fodder and not much more... Chasen Hines.

Hines was drafted by the Patriots in 2022 and missed most of the year due to injury. Was then snapped up by Miami at the end of the 2023 training camp and stashed on the ps for 2023.

He's 6'3 and 320, similar in size to Robert Jones, moves well for his size.

The guy who intrigues me is Ryan Hayes. I watched a lot of him in isolation after we drafted him and IMO he has an ideal skill set to play LG in the wide zone. He was projected to be a 3rd-4th rounder before the 2023 draft and fell to the 7th inexplicably—sort of how Malik fell to the 6th this year.
He is #76 and playing LT in this video.

If Tahj gets cut... he's gone.
McMorris might make it to the PS, but unless Tahj just absolutely face-plants in preseason... a bad team would scoop him up.
There is room for both Malik and Tahj. Gonna keep 6 WRs almost for sure. Their presence puts EZ and River on notice. IMO, Berrios is as close to a sure bet to make it as a backup WR can be. At the very least because with him, there is never gonna be a backbreaking muffed punt. Nothing demoralizes a defense more than getting off the field on 3rd down only to have the PR give the ball right back to the other team 40 or so yards down the field. I'd sacrifice potential long punt returns for sure hands and no muffs.

He could...

He's my bet for underrated signing of the year.

I don't have it right in front of me, but I believe it was 2001.

He played 9 games at RG and scored a 70 or so at PFF. He's been much worse at Tackle- 40ish off scores.

Yes, pff isn't perfect, and yes, it was only 9 games, but his draft year scouting suggested he might move to Guard... just like Eichenberg.

I'm not sure the team's seeming reluctance to draft a Guard is wrong.
2021. I posted his PFF grades somewhere late last night. Pass blocking was his best grade but all were above average. He even had one good start at RT before 8 straight at RG.

Back
Top Bottom