Building Collapses | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Building Collapses

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read that someone reported that their mom lives there and was awoken by creaking the night prior. Who knows but if the local engineers recently inspected the building and this happens **** will hit the fan.

Most likely.

It is a horribly bad idea to hava a foundation on sand. Generally, concrete pilings are driven down to bedrock to support the structure.

Unfortunately, solid coral is the best you get sometimes in SE Florida. Even that is usually fine, but if the coral is actually a "shelf", it may not be as structurally sound as believed.
I spent 12 years in construction here and built many High rises. You don't build a High rise on the strength of the ground here. You drive massive pillars of concrete and steel deep into to the Earth. That's your foundation here.
Looking at how it fell and how it looks after it looks entirely like structural failure. You see this type of things happening a lot in under-developed Countries. They should never ever happen here due to building codes.
I mean, we can build to withstand Earthquakes. I know some heads will roll over this. Should never ever happen here.
Should also be noted this was built pre Hurricane Andrew. After Andrew our building codes were much much stricter due to how poorly structures held up during that storm.

Last edited:
I think you have to consider the climate in Florida in 1981. There was a general belief that regulations and inspections were too much Government intrusion and that this intrusion slowed down the economy.

Sadly, these things always happen years later... but no one will ever acknowledge the problem because there is money to be made.

There aren't typically inspections done on buildings that are already constructed besides fire and health if they are either a restaurant or have a lodging license. You have to certify your railing but that is a self-inspection process.
smdh self-inspection....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom