bye spielman | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

bye spielman

PressCoverage said:
story tonight/tomorrow says Saban and Spielman had a major blowout two weeks ago ... leading to his resignation....

leading candidate is likely Baltimore's George Kokinis...

Skolnick's article in the Sun Sentinel summarizes his short tenure very well. I think many on this board have unfairly scapegoated the guy. From everything I've read he worked very diligently at his job and gave everything he had. I don't think he deserves to be personally attacked or be the victim of name calling.

I also think he is very young for a GM (42) and I believe in the next 3-5 years, having learned from his experience here, that he will be a successful GM in this league. His critics seem to downplay his successes and magnify his mistakes.

jlfin said:
Skolnick's article in the Sun Sentinel summarizes his short tenure very well. I think many on this board have unfairly scapegoated the guy. From everything I've read he worked very diligently at his job and gave everything he had. I don't think he deserves to be personally attacked or be the victim of name calling.

I also think he is very young for a GM (42) and I believe in the next 3-5 years, having learned from his experience here, that he will be a successful GM in this league. His critics seem to downplay his successes and magnify his mistakes.

He crippled the franchise last year when he hit the panic button and gave away the draft for mediocre players. I'm sure he learned from his time here and will get another job in a couple years (when everyone forgets what happened in Miami) and maybe be competant. Bye Rick!:baghead:

I always thought Speilman spoke out of turn a little too often.When the truth comes out I wouldnt be suprised if Saban was angry with him because Rick was responsible for a leak.

Poor Chemistry Lead To Resignation...
Posted on: 2005-06-04
[Sun Sentinel] Rick Spielman resigned Friday after 17 months largely because of what one source described as his poor "chemistry" with first-year coach Nick Saban.

Two sources said Dolphins staff members were told Friday morning by Saban that Spielman would be leaving the franchise. That was news to Spielman, who the sources said wasn't in the building yet.

Spielman's departure was considered imminent regardless of the circumstances behind the resignation. Spielman and Saban had a significant falling out two weeks ago that was never patched, two sources said.

A source said the Dolphins had contacted a Baltimore Ravens official as a potential Spielman replacement. The leading candidate is believed to be Director of Pro Personnel George Kokinis, who worked with Saban from 1991 to 1994 with the Cleveland Browns.

good call again PC.

jlfin said:

I respect Ethan Skolnick but his critique of Spielman's term was megakind. He stuffed an entire paragaph with enough what ifs to turn Homestead into Paris if you blended them all together.

Spielman's late round draft choices obviously require time to evaluate. The decisions he deserves to be remembered for screamed at ineptitude the second they were announced. Emphasize this: it doesn't matter if Feeley, Carey and Gordon turn into world beating All-Pro juggernauts. Surrendering what we did for them was world class simpleton stupidity. Replicated over enough time moves like that stick you in every hole imaginable, like finding every one of the bunkers at St. Andrews. In the NFL the margins are so slight you can't afford anything even resembling the ignorance of value that Spielman consistently displayed. This isn't the '73 Belmont, where Secretariat's trainer could have saddled him backwards and the jockey clung to the outside fence and still won by 5 lengths.

Yeah, Spielman was a hard worker. As a mentioned yesterday that's the last thing I want in a contemporary head coach or GM. Diligent guys like a Schottenhimer or even a Bill Cowher have built-in regulatory levels. They might have a top year from time to time but since they rely more on work ethic and determination than special insight you'll always have 8-8 or worse as an option and be at a playoff disadvantage if a brilliant coach like a Walsh or Bellichick is opposing you. When I read Spielman reviewed every play A.J. Feeley ever made for the Eagles it just cemented my opinion Spielman was flawed and overmatched. A trump card GM would have known Feeley's true ability simply by watching two quarters or two games -- the instincts and field presence, athletic ability or lack thereof, variety of pace and loft, the way he communicated with teammates and commanded the offense. If you need to look at every play it's like you're desperate to talk yourself into something that isn't there, like when Cleveland demanded a second pre-draft workout for Tim Couch after he flopped the first one.

Rick Spielman consistently found strengths that weren't there, which is how you end up depending on other teams' castoffs or also-rans in so many areas.

PressCoverage said:
actually, little-to-nothing is said about the blowout... just that it happened, and that Spielman got no support after the draft...

Kokinis is director of player personnel with the Ravens... worked with Saban with the Browns back in the day...

An article I read in PFW by Jeff Reynolds says that they disagreed over how the personnel department should be structured and they disagreed over the weaknesses of the team. Thanks for the info once again!

Back
Top Bottom