Camp Day 11 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Camp Day 11

Joe Schad‏Verified account @schadjoe 2h2 hours ago

The Miami Dolphins snuck in a walkthrough at the Hard Rock Stadium the other day, Brian Flores confirmed. The coaches got to check out the booths and the young players were able to experience the locker room and field.

For the rookies

Omar Kelly‏Verified account @OmarKelly 5m5 minutes ago

Mile Gesicki just caught a touchdown pass from Ryan Fitzpatrick during the red zone 11-on-11s, beating Bobby McCain, and the whole offense celebrated.

Bobby McCain just giving up to much height - not sure how there expect him to succeed at FS

EBS8uZ2WwAA4kum.jpg

Makes you wonder if these guy's were told to tweet less?

EBS8uZ2WwAA4kum.jpg

Makes you wonder if these guy's were told to tweet less?
You mean so to not unveil our plans for preseason game? I doubt it, the first preseason game is the most vanilla play calling of them all. Basically a game to get everyone up to game speed and going through the motions.

Because Jakeem Grant and Albert Wilson are both injured, Allen Hurns hasn't climbed the depth chart yet, and Isaiah Ford is a slot receiver, and Trenton Irwin is a rookie. And Reece Horn hasn't really caught on.

The receivers that are healthy enough to play the game will be:

Kenny Stills
Devante Parker
Preston Williams
Isaiah Ford
Trenton Irwin
Allen Hurns
Brice Butler
Saeed Blacknall
Reece Horn

Preston Williams would be ahead of Isaiah Ford except he's not a slot receiver. He will likely come onto the field in place of Devante Parker when they pull the starters.

Omar Kelly‏Verified account @OmarKelly 5m5 minutes ago

Mile Gesicki just caught a touchdown pass from Ryan Fitzpatrick during the red zone 11-on-11s, beating Bobby McCain, and the whole offense celebrated.

Bobby McCain just giving up to much height - not sure how there expect him to succeed at FS

This is especially going to hurt in the red zone, an area of the field where there is no real deep center-fielder that can be hidden from the action. As a safety he's going to draw a tight end more often in that area of the field.

Hopefully the coaches have a workaround for this.

This is especially going to hurt in the red zone, an area of the field where there is no real deep center-fielder that can be hidden from the action. As a safety he's going to draw a tight end more often in that area of the field.

Hopefully the coaches have a workaround for this.

That's going to be tough in those instances. I know of many techniques that can help safeties with their keys and making the right read - to have their eyes and feet in sync. I don't know of any technique that overcomes height in close quarters. You're just kinda at the mercy of the QB's ball placement to be honest.

I mean guys play safety because they don't have the feet and hips to play cornerback, but you can take advantage of their burst. However, burst to the ball doesn't matter if you're just too short to reach it matched up against taller guys with leaping ability. You're right, this is the type of matchup you're going to find and make happen for you if you're the opposing coordinator.

That's going to be tough in those instances. I know of many techniques that can help safeties with their keys and making the right read - to have their eyes and feet in sync. I don't know of any technique that overcomes height in close quarters. You're just kinda at the mercy of the QB's ball placement to be honest.

I mean guys play safety because they don't have the feet and hips to play cornerback, but you can take advantage of their burst. However, burst to the ball doesn't matter if you're just too short to reach it matched up against taller guys with leaping ability. You're right, this is the type of matchup you're going to find and make happen for you if you're the opposing coordinator.

What are your thoughts on experience level, height, and speed as it relates to closing down on the football when it gets in the open and you have a lot of green to cover, which happens if you're a Cover 1/Cover 3 free safety? I'm just talking about something as simple as closing down and finishing the tackle in the open.

My feeling is the height and speed deficiencies leave you with very little margin for error, and that might be OK if you have a lot of experience to draw on. But he's a career slot. He's generally played close to the action.

Same issue can be brought up in a different way when it comes to making that decision whether to play the ball or play it safe and go for the tackle on deep passes. Lack of height and overall athletic prowess could make it harder to do both.

I know that I've heard Nick Saban say he'd never put a 5'9" guy back there.

Back
Top Bottom