Camp Day 11 | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Camp Day 11

McCain seemed to be getting solid reviews this camp at FS but no question in goalline vs. a guy with Gesicki’s height and jumping ability, it is a mismatch all day and the decent, let alone good QBs, will make you pay for it.

He is listed at 5’11 but measured 5’9.5” at the combine. I hate it on the boundary and I hate it at FS.

I’m not sure anybody is fully pegged in the secondary outside of X as the shutdown outside CB. Everybody will be moving around.

McCain seemed to be getting solid reviews this camp at FS but no question in goalline vs. a guy with Gesicki’s height and jumping ability, it is a mismatch all day and the decent, let alone good QBs, will make you pay for it.

He is listed at 5’11 but measured 5’9.5” at the combine. I hate it on the boundary and I hate it at FS.

I’m not sure anybody is fully pegged in the secondary outside of X as the shutdown outside CB. Everybody will be moving around.

I'm HOPING putting BM at FS is part of the multiple looks so the OC won't know which one is slot and which one is FS. Certainly don't want him back there full time

I'd probably take that bet. I think they'll do exactly that.

We can only hope. Like what they are doing on the oline with the rookies. Play McCain at FS. Take the growing pains this year in the "rebuild". Get our QB next year with a very high draft pick.

Possible- It's still so early- I bet things look different near the near the end of the year, either through injuries or just getting reads on the players they have.

Also interesting that we've heard almost nothing about McTyer. His stock was up in training camp last year and then ended up struggling through the season.

Bobby's decent, but far from great. He will probably be an O.K FS, but he's not built for the red zone at all.

I imagine in a real game he won't be on the field in those situations unless the offense comes out in 3 or 4 WR sets, which are much less frequent the closer you get to the goal line.

And even still: Rowe, T.J, Minkah, X, and Reshad are all better suited for goal line situations, Bobby's a small dude.

Last edited:
BM is a perfect description for what I fear we're in for this season at free safety.

I'd have to imagine this staff is not going to let BM get picked a part at FS. Maybe near the redzone they put Minkah back there and BM in the slot or not in at all.

I'd have to imagine this staff is not going to let BM get picked a part at FS. Maybe near the redzone they put Minkah back there and BM in the slot or not in at all.

I agree, and lets not act like Mike G is an easy cover in the red zone either.

Dude is an absolute freak of nature, most Miami fans seem to think he's a "bust" or is trending that way, despite the fact TE is a positional group that is notorious for taking time to develop at this level.

For those who say BM is too small to play FS, check out tape on the honeybadger and get back to me (who gives a damn what Nick Saban would do, he's got like 20 first round picks every year because he's afraid of the NFL).

I knew that dude (honeybadger) would be special before even playing a snap in the NFL and I don't even watch college football lol.

Not to say BM is as good as the honeybadger because he isn't imo, but he might be a little bit bigger so I won't let BM use his size as an excuse if he fails because a FS doesn't need to be super tall to perform at a high level.

Sure every team would love a FS like the one they got in Indy from a size/speed perspective, but this isn't college football where only a few teams essentially get all the elite talent.

Every NFL team must make sacrifices, Bobby's height at FS is one of ours but it can be overcome, just ask the honeybadger...

Last edited:
I agree, and lets not act like Mike G is an easy cover in the red zone.

Dude is an absolute freak of nature, most Miami fans seem to think he's a "bust" or is trending that way, despite the fact TE is a positional group that is notorious for taking time to develop at this level.

For those who say BM is too small to play FS, check out tape on the honeybadger and get back to me (who gives a damn what Nick Saban would do, he's got like 20 first round picks every year because he's afraid of the NFL).

I knew that dude (honeybadger) would be special before even playing a snap in the NFL and I don't even watch college football lol.

Not to say BM is as good as the honeybadger because he isn't imo, but he might be a little bit bigger so I won't let BM use his size as an excuse if he fails because a FS doesn't need to be super tall to perform at a high level.

Sure every team would love a FS like the one they got in Indy from a size/speed perspective, but this isn't college football where only a few teams essentially get all the elite talent.

Every NFL team must make sacrifices, Bobby's height at FS is one of ours but it can be overcome, just ask the honeybadger...

Maybe he'll do great. Height is an issue, but it's not the only one that concerns me:

okay tackler for slot CB = Poor tackler for FS
lack of closing speed for center field
Decent ball skills, not special
small not just short
he seemed confused in schemes too often last year...dont want that happening with your last line of D

I dont really see anything in McCain that says FS to me. Hopefully Im way off and you can remind me later in the season.

Maybe he'll do great. Height is an issue, but it's not the only one that concerns me:

small not just short
he seemed confused in schemes too often last year...dont want that happening with your last line of D

I dont really see anything in McCain that says FS to me. Hopefully Im way off and you can remind me later in the season.
I have to agree with you. I can't see in today's NFL a FS that small.

small not just short

Oh I agree he's a very flawed player, probably overpaid as well.

I'm just reacting to the notion that he is too small/short to play the position effectively in the modern NFL, he isn't.

Honeybadger is smaller/shorter and is a very effective FS imo, but he's a dog and that's what you gotta be to play bigger than your size.

Bob Sanders was only 5 '8 and he was a great safety for a few years, and a SS to bout but he was built like a tank.

I just hope McCain has some of that dog in him as well (he's got some juice), we'll find out more this season.

Last edited:

small not just short

If ??? your analysis proves correct he won't be FS for long.

Like soooooooooooo many other positions on this team right now -- we're gonna have to let it play out.

And by that I mean for a number of games.

IMO it would be really "adult" on our parts (as true, dedicated FANS of the team)

to reserve final verdict until ALL the evidence is presented. Right now there are

only tendencies and possibilities -- and no certainties.

If ??? your analysis proves correct he won't be FS for long.

Like soooooooooooo many other positions on this team right now -- we're gonna have to let it play out.

And by that I mean for a number of games.

IMO it would be really "adult" on our parts (as true, dedicated FANS of the team)

to reserve final verdict until ALL the evidence is presented. Right now there are

only tendencies and possibilities -- and no certainties.

Sure. I hope he is a perennial all pro and I feel like a fool every time he makes a big play in our Super Bowl run. Additionally, it may be that there are going to be schemes were there are 7 DBs on the field and he is one of 3 or 4 safeties...

Back
Top Bottom