Can any of you explain why you hate on Coyle so much? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can any of you explain why you hate on Coyle so much?

Atila

Atila.com
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I am astounded by how much hate this guy gets for our 6 game defensive collapse after a body of work that was very consistent over his first 42 games.

Does anyone who trashes him have any understanding of football? Any understanding of what happens when you field a bottom 3 LB unit?

Has anyone who trashed the guy thought about what happens to a team when the entire middle of its defense is the worst in the league? Does anyone remember we had multiple weeks of Jason Trusnik and Phillip Wheeler as starting LB's.

Does anyone remember we had guys like Jimmy Wilson and Lowell Rose as starting CB's?

Or Jimmy Wilson as a starting safety? Yeah, Jimmy Wilson was starting somewhere on our defense for a big portion of the season (coincidence that we fell off a cliff defensively when Jimmy Wilson was plugged into a starting lineup?).

Does anyone remember how much praise our defense was getting, being called the best in the NFL the first half of the season - DESPITE starting one of the worst LB unit's in the NFL.

We had injuries across the entire defense except at DL - but Randy Starks mailed it in all year and our pass rush from the DE position was non-existent down the stretch (coincidence that is when our defense fell off).

On the other hand, over his first 42 games as defensive coordinator, we have been consistently strong against the pass despite having at least one mediocre starter in the secondary, despite having major holes somewhere along the team.

Moreover, our offense has been complete **** the last two years and was barely *decent* half the time this year. During Coyle's first 42 games, the only consistent thing about our team was how inept our offense was. We've never been good offensively - even this season we've only been good half the time offensively.

We've asked Coyle to make chicken salad with chicken **** and he consistently has. So why all the hate? Because we had a meltdown (AS A TEAM) with a lack of depth? What's he supposed to do at that point? And who do you want to replace him with?

I just see too many shortsighted posts from users (what else is new?) who are all like PLEASE GET RID OF HIM and I really don't know why. Our defense has been good for 2.5 years despite having no offense to help prop it up.

The hate is directed at Coyle to somehow excuse the poor job that Philbin has done. Like firing Coyle somehow makes him a better coach.
Hell fire that idiot known as Ross and we may be on to something

I think Coyle gets far too much blame.

How about the injuries, lack of depth and the inability of some to make seemingly simple plays.

I promise you, when he coaches somewhere else, he will have success.

I think Coyle gets far too much blame.

How about the injuries, lack of depth and the inability of some to make seemingly simple plays.

I promise you, when he coaches somewhere else, he will have success.

Im not a fan of Coyle but the idea that somehow he should lose his job while our inept coach keeps his is beyond stupid

I agree with OP. I have no personal like or dislike for Coyle. I am a Miami Dolphin fan first and foremost. But Coyle did have us defensively where we haven't been in close to 20 years at midseason before injuries. And this was with average talent on defense. I think he deserves another year to see if he can repeat and avoid injuries

I'm not as anti-Coyle as a lot of people. I think his defenses performed pretty well when they were reasonably healthy. My big problems were breakdowns at the worst possible times, allowing third-and-long conversions far too often and, of course, the end of the season collapse.

That said, I thought the good his defenses showed generally outweighed the bad, and I thought most of its issues could be traced more directly to Philbin or just the lack of quality depth on that side of the ball.

I agree with OP. I have no personal like or dislike for Coyle. I am a Miami Dolphin fan first and foremost. But Coyle did have us defensively where we haven't been in close to 20 years at midseason before injuries. And this was with average talent on defense. I think he deserves another year to see if he can repeat and avoid injuries
Well thats why u don't judge teams based on parts of seasons. Remember all the people proclaiming Ronnie browns greatness after 7 games in 2007.

I don't think you watched the last five games this year

Didn't the defense seal the only 2 wins in that 5 game stretch?
Int to seal Jets game, sack then blocked punt to win min game.
We probably should have been 0-5

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Well thats why u don't judge teams based on parts of seasons. Remember all the people proclaiming Ronnie browns greatness after 7 games in 2007.

True, but you can't discount the injuries to defense in the 2nd half of season. We had no depth like other teams that survived

Didn't the defense seal the only 2 wins in that 5 game stretch?
Int to seal Jets game, sack then blocked punt to win min game.
We probably should have been 0-5

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

True, but you can't discount the injuries to defense in the 2nd half of season. We had no depth like other teams that survived

Our 2010 defense was much better. On defense other teams had injuries and players stepped up.

I'm just shocked how much blame Coyle gets when this team as a whole has been a miss. His defensive unit has been the most consistent part of the team during his tenure - how can people not see this? Do some of you guys even watch football?

That said, Coyle is not perfect, far from it... and his defense really did fall off a cliff by the end of the season. But when you have so many chips stacked against you, some things are unavoidable.

I'm just shocked how much blame Coyle gets when this team as a whole has been a miss. His defensive unit has been the most consistent part of the team during his tenure - how can people not see this? Do some of you guys even watch football?

That said, Coyle is not perfect, far from it... and his defense really did fall off a cliff by the end of the season. But when you have so many chips stacked against you, some things are unavoidable.

Failbin should have been fired but now people are trying to make themself feel better by firing Coyle like it will magically make us better. I doubt any upgrade wants to come play for this clown

I don't think Coyle is perfect, but I don't see a viable upgrade for him that is available - do you? I trust Coyle's body of work as our defensive coordinator more than what would be available. We've seen what he can do when we have a competent defense and even some semblance of an offense.

Back
Top Bottom