"Can David Garrard recreate Chad Pennington's magical Dolphins season?" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Can David Garrard recreate Chad Pennington's magical Dolphins season?"

that was a fun season i remember after beating the jets for the division sitting on my deck drinking a cold one just taking it all in...good times...and then the next week baltimore showed everyone how to expose chad pennington...

kinda like belichick did with chad henne...

Here comes Stat Boy!

Pennington had a decent career but was never a top QB. His best year was 2002 and his comeback year was 2008. Pennington and Garrard's stats aren't terribly different. The Jags just haven't been that great a team since the Brunell days.
I'm certainly not going to argue that Pennington was ever an "elite" QB, but I sure wish the Dolphins, rather than the Jets, would have drafted him in 2000. I guarantee things would have worked out better than they did with Jay Fiedler's Flying Circus.

Here comes Stat Boy!

Pennington had a decent career but was never a top QB. His best year was 2002 and his comeback year was 2008. Pennington and Garrard's stats aren't terribly different. The Jags just haven't been that great a team since the Brunell days.

where did I bring up stats? Chad was the 2nd best QB in the league in 2002, he missed 6 games in '03 and played well after he came back, in '04 he was off to a great start before the first shoulder injury. he was much better than garrard.

Jax had a few good teams in the 00s, in '05 they went 12-4 w/ Byron Leftwich- 2 years later they made the playoffs w/ Garrard.

that was a fun season i remember after beating the jets for the division sitting on my deck drinking a cold one just taking it all in...good times...and then the next week baltimore showed everyone how to expose chad pennington...

kinda like belichick did with chad henne...

They didn't expose Chad, they exposed the dolphins.

You know the franchise is in big trouble when the "magic season," the lone highlight of the past 10+ seasons, ends with Pennington and the rest of the team getting punted by the Ravens in Miami during the first round of the playoffs. That season was great-- for a while. Then the clock struck midnight, sometime after Favre and the Jets were dispatched, and the team that took the field for the wildcard game looked remarkably less magical.

What's new about that? The Dolphins have been punted out of the playoffs as soon as we faced real competition just about every playoff run since 1994.

1995 - Punted by the Bills in the Wildcard round 37-22
1997 - Stifled by the Patriots in the Wildcard round 17-3
1998 - Won a game against Flutie Flakes only to get ROASTED by the Broncos 38-3 in the Divisional round
1999 - Need I say more than, "62-7"?
2000 - Miraculous overtime win against Colts followed by embarrassing 27-0 drubbing by the Raiders
2001 - Tape of 20-3 Wildcard loss to Baltimore filed in "snuff film" folder

they exposed chad on o...save the 2nd best qb in the league stuff in 02...i don't need to see how his completion percentage was stellar or any of that...i'm not buying it...no one should

Penny was successful in 08 b/c we played an extremely weak schedule, surprised a few teams with the wildcat and Penny didn't turn the ball over.

For Miami to have a chance this year at the playoffs I think Garrard will have to have a similar year as the one he had in 07 in which he had an 18/3 TD/int ratio.

Penny was successful in 08 b/c we played an extremely weak schedule, surprised a few teams with the wildcat and Penny didn't turn the ball over.

For Miami to have a chance this year at the playoffs I think Garrard will have to have a similar year as the one he had in 07 in which he had an 18/3 TD/int ratio.

holy hell...good luck with that... ha ha

they exposed chad and the dolphins...save the 2nd best qb in the league stuff in 02...i don't need to see how his completion percentage was stellar or any of that...i'm not buying it...no one should

took over a team that was 1-4 and led them to only div title NE didn't win when Brady was healthy. led Jets to big wins at NE in week 6, blowout win over Favre and GB(were 12-3 and playing for homefield) and then huge win over Peyton & Indy. He was great that year, unfortunately he got hurt in preseason and missed a good chunk of 2003. In '04 he was playing great again and had us at 6-1 before he hurt his shoulder, still led us to div rd and were w/in 1 of 2 missed makeable kicks of making title game.

took over a team that was 1-4 and led them to only div title NE didn't win when Brady was healthy. led Jets to big wins at NE in week 6, blowout win over Favre and GB(were 12-3 and playing for homefield) and then huge win over Peyton & Indy. He was great that year, unfortunately he got hurt in preseason and missed a good chunk of 2003. In '04 he was playing great again and had us at 6-1 before he hurt his shoulder, still led us to div rd and were w/in 1 of 2 missed makeable kicks of making title game.

save it...save it...save it

not a chance

If you want to focus on Chad Pennington in that Baltimore game that's any man's right, he did throw 4 interceptions after all, but to me what the Ravens merely did was stuff the hell out of the run game and show that when you stop Miami's wildcat and ground game in general, suddenly you realize they're trying to throw the football to Ted Ginn, Brandon London and Patrick Cobbs. That's right, those were our wide receivers. Camarillo missed the game, causing the Dolphins to only even dress three wide receivers in that game, and then Davone Bess gets hurt and misses more than half the game, had to be replaced by Patrick Cobbs who played slot receiver for the first time...pretty much ever.

Tony Sparano dressed three tight ends and three halfbacks, one fullback for that game...with only three wide receivers. He essentially bet everything he had on the ground game and the backs, and he lost the bet. That's the game that best embodies how foolish the Ernest Wilford contract was. With four wide receivers healthy on the roster, with one a rookie and another one a UDFA type that hadn't done jack...they chose to only dress three wide receivers and not even put Wilford in uniform. One of those receivers gets hurt for half the game and suddenly 3-WR formations aren't even in your playbook unless you put a tailback that's never played it before in.

well sparanos a dumbo if he thought he was gonna make hay pounding the rock and running the ball with the wildcat against that ravens d front 7...i can tell ya that...i guess though given the success he had in the regular season against much less physical fronts etc he went with what worked prior...

i still think though that while the ravens shut down the run game they knew that if they made penny have to make plays against long downs and distances he couldn't do it...and they were right...wasn't that the season we never converted a 3rd down of more than 7 yards or something??? i seem to recall that...

yes the wr core wasn't good enough...and neither was the qb if he had to make the plays to keep us in the game...if that doesn't scream game manager qb i don't know what does...the ravens were not afraid of chad pennington at all...they clogged the box and jumped everything underneath...put the game in his hands

What's new about that? The Dolphins have been punted out of the playoffs as soon as we faced real competition just about every playoff run since 1994.

1995 - Punted by the Bills in the Wildcard round 37-22
1997 - Stifled by the Patriots in the Wildcard round 17-3
1998 - Won a game against Flutie Flakes only to get ROASTED by the Broncos 38-3 in the Divisional round
1999 - Need I say more than, "62-7"?
2000 - Miraculous overtime win against Colts followed by embarrassing 27-0 drubbing by the Raiders
2001 - Tape of 20-3 Wildcard loss to Baltimore filed in "snuff film" folder
You're right, but I don't ever hear anyone describe the 1998 season as a "magical" season. That was my point. The ride was fun while it lasted, but amounted to very little (especially given the flukey nature of the achievement-- winning 11 games and the division, followed by three losing seasons and the firing of the head coach and the QB). The 2000 season was as "magical" as 2008.

well sparanos a dumbo if he thought he was gonna make hay pounding the rock and running the ball with the wildcat against that ravens d front 7...i can tell ya that...i guess though given the success he had in the regular season against much less physical fronts etc he went with what worked prior...

i still think though that while the ravens shut down the run game they knew that if they made penny have to make plays against long downs and distances he couldn't do it...and they were right...wasn't that the season we never converted a 3rd down of more than 7 yards or something??? i seem to recall that...

yes the wr core wasn't good enough...and neither was the qb if he had to make the plays to keep us in the game...if that doesn't scream game manager qb i don't know what does...the ravens were not afraid of chad pennington at all...they clogged the box and jumped everything underneath...put the game in his hands

Throwing to wide receivers Ted Ginn, Brandon London and Pat Cobbs...is that really any great revelation?

That game was just destiny. The Dolphins were either going to win on the ground, or not at all. They were fielding mostly pretenders at wide receiver that year anyway, and then even those pretenders got hurt. Put Phil Rivers at quarterback, destroy his ground game, and ask him to convert 3rd and Longs against the Baltimore Ravens defense with Ted Ginn, Brandon London and Patrick Cobbs as his wide receivers. It's not going to work.

People will whine over everything Dolphin and they have that right. We've been atrocious for a quarter century, actually more, but with a different offense that is gonna be west coast, I think Garrard has the best tools of the bunch to succeed, until Tanny figures it out anyway. Have to think we ought to be a pinch excited... At least we ain't coming with the same old same old know-what-plays-were gonna call-drinking beer on our couch days. I'm gonna remain optimistic, that's all. And if not, can't get much worse than say, my entire 39 years minus Marinos rookie year

Back
Top Bottom