Can The Dolphins Do These Two Things? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can The Dolphins Do These Two Things?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
To be a legitimate playoff contender Miami has to be able to run the ball in crucial situations and stop the run in crucial situations. In a way, that may be an oversimplification but I think it still holds true.

I like Miami's chances of having an above average running game. Gase is good at scheming the running game, Drake looks like an emerging superstar (if he stays healthy) and Gore has always been able to get those tough yards. I'd say the Dolphins might be very improved in that regard.

My fear, really the biggest concern for the season, is stopping the run. I love that the team got faster and more athletic on defense. That should have been a priority and the front office saw that, which I can't complain about. Baker and Fitzpatrick are two players who should help Miami immensely in the passing game.

But stopping the run? On the defensive line, besides maybe Hayes, I don't see anyone who is particularly good at run defense. Lots of nice pass rushing options there and guys who can penetrate. Getting that penetration can certainly help in run defense, especially if the second level defense is athletic and fast.

Thoughts on this?

Its going to be interesting as you have to hope they have a plan after letting Suh walk. Stopping the run first and running the ball is extremely important as it keeps our defense rested and our offence on the field.
I am not confident that we are a team built to do that currently and are going to rely on smoke and mirrors to get the job done this year.

Running the ball is important no doubt, but hopefully the team can get away from being predictable with it too. Allow the game to come to you and take what the opposing defense gives you, many times this team has tried to run on a 8 man front leaving me scratching my head.....in other words don't force feed it.

I am not confident that we are a team built to do that currently and are going to rely on smoke and mirrors to get the job done this year.

Miami is not built to run the ball or stop the run... not since Philbin was hired. Philbin inherited a Top 5 Rushing Defense, but Coyle changed the scheme, Philbin changed personnel, and they dropped in the rankings each year. The defense under Coyle, Joseph, and now Burke (all ex-Bengals coaches) has probably given up more long runs on 3rd and long than any other team. If it was 3rd and 20, Miami would give up a 22 yard run. Pathetic. For 6 years now, it hasn't mattered who was on the field; they stink against the run. It has to be the scheme.

On the other side of the ball, both Philbin and Gase prefer a short pass based offense in which the short pass mostly takes the place of the run. The basic premise of their style of offense is to get the ball out quickly to the receiver with the most favorable match-up, and hopefully the receiver will gain yards after the catch to get the first down. With this style of offense, the o-linemen shouldn't have to sustain their blocks very long because the ball should be thrown almost immediately after the snap. (Most of the time, that is. They do on occasion run the ball or go deep, but not much. This is why Landry set a record for catches... they mostly threw short to him.) Neither Philbin nor Gase wanted big, strong, mean and nasty old-school linemen who excelled at run-blocking and protecting the QB (which is why Philbin cut Incognito but kept Martin); they wanted athletic, finesse o-linemen to execute their fancy zone blocking. The result of this was a line that allowed Tannehill to be sacked more than any other QB over a 4 year period, and an inability to consistently gain the tough yards on the ground on 3rd or 4th and short. When they do actually have a lead near the end of the game (which rarely happens), Miami's offense is unable to keep the ball on the ground and run out the clock like the good teams can do.

Want Miami to be able to consistently run well and stop the run? Either Gase and Burke need to change their offensive and defensive philosophy, or they need to be replaced.

Neither Philbin nor Gase wanted big, strong, mean and nasty old-school linemen who excelled at run-blocking and protecting the QB (which is why Philbin cut Incognito but kept Martin); they wanted athletic, finesse o-linemen to execute their fancy zone blocking
That is not why they cut Incognito and kept Martin; it was Bully-gate pure and simple.

That is not why they cut Incognito and kept Martin; it was Bully-gate pure and simple.
True, of course in hindsight Martin was a spoiled little weiner that was a marshmallow momas boy that was a awful signing. Great example of being politically correct and football stupid.

I think there is one significant upgrade for our run defense, Raekwon McMillan. He diagnoses well, doesn't make false steps, moves through traffic, zeros in on the ball carrier, and is a sound tackler. As a Mike, he will be very good at stopping the run IMHO. But, having two large holes at DT will make his job very tough.

Godchaux was only OK when he had Ndamakong Suh playing 85% of the snaps and always commanding a double-team. With Suh gone, Godchaux will get some double-teams, and likely be taken out of plays consistently. None of the other additions look capable of making a difference. I'm guessing Akeem Spence will start in Suh's place, and be average at best, and when double-teamed, he too will disappear. Our rotational DT's are not very impressive. I agree, that our only good run defender along the DL is William Hayes. Stopping the run will be a big challenge unless we add some talent at DT that is not currently on our roster (Hankins?).

The only way the Fins will stop the run in 2018 is by getting early leads... And they know it...

Your hitting on something I brought up when suh left etc. again if we cant stop the run- season over, its just that simple to me.

Can we? Really concerned still IMO.

I mean its a ‘passing leauge’ we hear and while I get that I think most teams are smart enough to go big and run it down our throats if we cant stop the run.

I think there is one significant upgrade for our run defense, Raekwon McMillan. He diagnoses well, doesn't make false steps, moves through traffic, zeros in on the ball carrier, and is a sound tackler. As a Mike, he will be very good at stopping the run IMHO. But, having two large holes at DT will make his job very tough.

Godchaux was only OK when he had Ndamakong Suh playing 85% of the snaps and always commanding a double-team. With Suh gone, Godchaux will get some double-teams, and likely be taken out of plays consistently. None of the other additions look capable of making a difference. I'm guessing Akeem Spence will start in Suh's place, and be average at best, and when double-teamed, he too will disappear. Our rotational DT's are not very impressive. I agree, that our only good run defender along the DL is William Hayes. Stopping the run will be a big challenge unless we add some talent at DT that is not currently on our roster (Hankins?).

Set up the run defense when/ if teams go two tight ends against us with a good power O line? Yeah we better get leads.

Could be bro when the Dolphins get cap relief from Suh June 1st. This is probably why draft picks haven't been signed yet as well.

Could be bro when the Dolphins get cap relief from Suh June 1st. This is probably why draft picks haven't been signed yet as well.

You know what concenrs me brother? They dont see it as a big issue- just like the past OL concerns we have had. I hope Im wrong.

I don’t know what it is exactly but the situation really bothers me.

Esti and others already posted the snap count situation and how are we going to make up that? I just dont see it.

You know what concenrs me brother? They dont see it as a big issue- just like the past OL concerns we have had. I hope Im wrong.

I don’t know what it is exactly but the situation really bothers me.

Esti and others already posted the snap count situation and how are we going to make up that? I just dont see it.
That is why I was saying the draft had a lot of pressure behind it as far as management goes. They addressed a lot of needs but DT we are thin. I hope we have a very good year, if not you could see some people no longer working for the Miami Dolphins.

Im not saying I agree with the strategy... But they flat out said the defense is built to play with a lead, and then you've got Gase saying he wants to run a tempo no huddle offense... They have no intention to get in run stopping situations, that is not their vision at all... Long story short, they want to stop the run with their offense, and thats Gase all the way... Look at the big picture and it's pretty clear...

Maybe we may have to switch out to a 3 4 defense a bit more if we get run over to much. Wonder if that might be in the plans a bit.

Back
Top Bottom