Can the Dolphins realistically make the playoffs? Schedule Reassesment | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can the Dolphins realistically make the playoffs? Schedule Reassesment

I'm still in the frame of mind where I want to see the team get better on a week-to-week basis, and while I root hard for us to win every game (I was exhausted after the Cinci game - and more relieved than excited), I'm more interested in seeing the development of our young players (Tannehill being the most important piece). There isn't a game that I think we can't win, but there also aren't games that I think we can't lose. We should be right around 8-8, and with our continued improvement, I think we have a better shot at 10-6 than 6-10.

After we put the coaching staff together, I insisted that player development would be one of the key areas we'd see improve. R. Jones and S. Smith look much better than I imagined either player ever looking. ****, N. Carroll is playing decent football. The LB'ers are all playing at a much higher level. Starks is having his best season - after a couple underwhelming seasons. On the other side of the ball, we have O-linemen developing at a nice rate. Jerry isn't playing great, but he's playing much better, and Pouncey and Martin are improving at a solid clip. Hartline is playing better than ever, and of course, Tannehill is exceeding all but the wildest expectations.

We play Seattle at home which is HUGE. Going to Seattle Id say we lose. Them coming to Miami, I think were favored in that matchup.

We drew the best possible home/away scenarios for those NFC west teams. The Rams and Seahawks are much more dangerous in their buildings than on the road. That is the two teams you would hand pick to play at home instead of on the road out of that division. When you consider that we arent likely to beat San Fran no matter where we play that game, it works out perfect that we got those two mediocre teams who are much better at home, in Miami.

San Fran and the two NE games are the only games I would consider us an underdog left on the schedule. I wouldnt be shocked if we beat NE either. 10-6 is a strong possibility. 9-7 is real strong. Damn, if we had beaten the Jests we would have a shot at a division title by splitting with NE and going 11-5.
I think 9-7 is a pretty realistic assessment if things keep going the way they are. Totally agree that NE will give us problems as will the 49ers. And Seattle, even at our place will be an epic defensive struggle (their defense is really good). But 9-7 may be good enough?

We could easily lose to STL or Indy, or one of the Buffalo games, or Seattle

take it slow with playoff hopes. Lets just hope Tannehill continues t improve, tough week this week with Finnegan and Jenkins shutting down hartline and bess

In my opinion, the loss to the Jets stings a lot worse than the Arizona loss, for obvious reasons (it's the Jets, divisional game at home, how bad the Jets have looked recently, etc.).

There are some very favorable games on the schedule. Buffalo, Jacksonville and Tennessee all look awful right now, as well as the Jets. St. Louis is a much different team on the road than at home, especially without Amendola. Those are six very winnable games right there.

The Indianapolis and Seattle games will be tougher, but certainly winnable. The toughest games are most likely the two with New England, and San Francisco.

I am just trying to take a realistic approach. Hopefully Tannehill continues to develop, and the team as a whole continues to improve. If the Dolphins are near play-off contention (or at least .500) at the end of the season, I think that's a good sign.

We play Seattle at home which is HUGE. Going to Seattle Id say we lose. Them coming to Miami, I think were favored in that matchup.

We drew the best possible home/away scenarios for those NFC west teams. The Rams and Seahawks are much more dangerous in their buildings than on the road. That is the two teams you would hand pick to play at home instead of on the road out of that division. When you consider that we arent likely to beat San Fran no matter where we play that game, it works out perfect that we got those two mediocre teams who are much better at home, in Miami.

San Fran and the two NE games are the only games I would consider us an underdog left on the schedule. I wouldnt be shocked if we beat NE either. 10-6 is a strong possibility. 9-7 is real strong. Damn, if we had beaten the Jests we would have a shot at a division title by splitting with NE and going 11-5.
Whoa. You're totally right. Seattle is at home. Don't know why I thought otherwise. That changes everything. The game becomes extremely winnable.

If Jabar Gaffney plays at the same level as last year (947 yds), then we could have a nearly complete team. Jabar Gaffney is basically a Brian Hartline clone.

We have the #1 ranked run defense, allowing a ridiculously low 2.7 yds/carry.

Our pass defense is ranked #9 in opponents passer rating, with opposing QBs having a 75.0 passer rating.

On defense, our front 7 is great. Sean Smith & Reshad Jones are having very good years. And even Nolan Carroll & Jimmy Wilson have looked good in the new system.

On offense, we have the #8 ranked rushing offense. Reggie Bush averages 4.8 yds/carry, and Lamar Miller averages 5.5 yds/carry.

Solid o-line. Tannehill, Bush, Miller, Jorvorskie Lane, Fasano, Jabar Gaffney, Brian Hartline, Davone Bess. Solid all around.

Our weakness has been in turnovers & field goals. If our players can stop fumbling the ball, and if Jabar Gaffney can play at the level he did last year, our offense could be very good, and if Dan Carpenter can pull out of his slump, our team could actually be very well rounded across the board.

If Jabar Gaffney plays at the same level as last year (947 yds), then we could have a nearly complete team. Jabar Gaffney is basically a Brian Hartline clone.

We have the #1 ranked run defense, allowing a ridiculously low 2.7 yds/carry.

Our pass defense is ranked #9 in opponents passer rating, with opposing QBs having a 75.0 passer rating.

On defense, our front 7 is great. Sean Smith & Reshad Jones are having very good years. And even Nolan Carroll & Jimmy Wilson have looked good in the new system.

On offense, we have the #8 ranked rushing offense. Reggie Bush averages 4.8 yds/carry, and Lamar Miller averages 5.5 yds/carry.

Solid o-line. Tannehill, Bush, Miller, Jorvorskie Lane, Fasano, Jabar Gaffney, Brian Hartline, Davone Bess. Solid all around.

Our weakness has been in turnovers & field goals. If our players can stop fumbling the ball, and if Jabar Gaffney can play at the level he did last year, our offense could be very good, and if Dan Carpenter can pull out of his slump, our team could actually be very well rounded across the board.

You Homer!:)

Back
Top Bottom